The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Ooooo just had a horrible thought, the combination of holding down a stonky wonky hangover and shopping for bathrooms would have been a nasty combo. Been shopping with a hangover before, not an enjoyable experience. 

Bear suspects that it'd make you very susceptible to agreeing to all sorts of wild (= expensive) "suggestions" purely in an attempt to cut short the shopping so you can head back home to die quietly.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Tempur mattress doesn't speak to me either, other than occasionally to remind me what an enormous hole it left in our bank balance.  They do damp any movement, turning over on it is a  major exercise.  I spent the night in the huffy bed, which has a conventional cheap mattress, not sure it made much difference.  Jury's out, but I foresee a new mattress in our future as SWMBO isn't too happy with it either. Pah, more train tokens down the swanny.

I just visited the website, and we thought that our bed at £1500 for divan, mattress, and headboard was expensive - it came from Bensons for Beds, and only had a seven year guarantee.  The mattress still seems to be very supportive, and we turn it monthly, as it has a microspring topper, which means it can only be turned end to end.  It's still very comfy, and after eight years, it does not yet seem to be showing any signs of dying.  Our last bed was a Millbrook - which is still in use as our spare - it was well under half price, and set us back £800.

Afternoon All

Well it's chucking it down here, and the stove is lit - we seem to be watching a load of boats on TV - looks like 30747 has discovered that Howard's Way is being repeated.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

But did DaveF see Thor the Walrus?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-641512

You'll have to wait for tomorrow's instalment!  I can say that I didn't know anything about Thor when I was at the beach yesterday morning.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

just visited the website, and we thought that our bed at £1500 for divan, mattress, and headboard was expensive - it came from Bensons for Beds, and only had a seven year guarantee.  The mattress still seems to be very supportive, and we turn it monthly, as it has a microspring topper, which means it can only be turned end to end.  It's still very comfy, and after eight years, it does not yet seem to be showing any signs of dying.  Our last bed was a Millbrook - which is still in use as our spare - it was well under half price, and set us back £800.

IIRC the mattress was over £2k, the names have changed since we got ours - marketing!  We bought the bed it sits on locally but the mattress had to come via RM. Must look to see how long we've had it, but IIRC we got it when my hip first went u/s and after the surgery, so it may be as much as 7 or 8 years - don't they fly by now.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that in Manitou Springs, USA they have a competition every January to see just how far they can throw away their Fruitcakes.  Very, very Weird......

"Fruit cake", (particularly at the holidays) is considered a joke here.

People here have lost touch with the tradition of baking their own Christmas fruit cake, so when people in the US talk about "fruit cake" it is usually something manufactured - dense and made months ahead of sale. They are largely considered as "a gift of last resort that no one wants" - hence the elaborate means of disposal.

Traditional Christmas pudding (steamed fruit 'cake') is even rarer.

Stollen, on the other hand, is common. I remain partial to all manner of fruit cake.

While not unheard of, the whole family of tea cakes / fruit or date loaves are uncommon (most people are unfamiliar with them), with the exception of "coffee cake" which is very crumbly and usually coated in cinnamon and sugar.

Regionally at this time of year you can find King cake (essentially a cake-sized, iced, hot cross bun, sans cross and fruit and often decorated with, or encasing, a baby Jesus figurine) originally an Epiphany tradition. Danish Kringles (usually a large circular Danish pastry) are also a seasonal treat for some. A company in Wisconsin ships them all over the US.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added links
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8