The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That all helps to mitigate the discomfort from whatever is causing my neck and shoulder to hurt. Three days now and it’s still bothering me despite hot water bottles and pain killers and I can’t think what caused it. Must make an appointment to see a physiotherapist I think.

Stress from being in the midst of the house-selling process I shouldn't wonder.    If ever there was a slimy process that needed looking into from a truth, honesty and "getting what you pay for from those involved in it" perspective that must be it!     Yep, that's a rant!

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My sister phoned me about an hour ago with some bad news. My brother who is not in the best of health had intestinal problems so they ran a scan which revealed polyps. Thats not what all that was found, he also has pancreatic cancer. Due to his existing medical problems there's no chance of chemo. It seems likely that its palliative care only from now on.

Very sorry to hear that indeed Phil.  Not good news at all.

23 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Just found this on YouTube.  I suspect that Stewart @45156 and other pickers and strummers may like it.

I'm neither picker or strummer but if there's one piece of music that makes me wish I were, it's Hotel California.  

HC always sets "Goose Bumps" to 10.

In other News

Nothing of huge significance has been achieved today although a number of out-standing "life admin" tasks have been attended to.

I thought I might pop down to the garage and wire up the two rotary enconders for the StarMASTER gadget I've built for a friend.  

I really need to finish it and send it off and I would at least I've some tangible output from the day!

TTFNQ

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Was there a spot on it or are you still trying to find it.

Jamie

I don't know what you might have heard about me but locating and identifying the aforesaid spot from no closer than 20 metres is not within  my known capabilities.

Sorry.  

🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

No wonder the Groundhog has said winter's still going to be around for another 6 weeks

HAH!!

That rodent, and more importantly/accurately, the idiots that continue that farcical charade are only right 40% of the time anyway, would be simpler to toss a coin.

Adding insult to an already shaky scenario, how'd they manage to decide on "Gobbler's Knob" as the site of such a travesty of weather forecasting, I would expect to discover that the caretakers of the creature could well be "Incontinentia Buttocks" and her hubby "Biggus Dickus" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Nice!!

I've always fancied a nice model of the NSW 81 Class in the original red livery.

I bought a Powerline model about 30 years ago when I was still visiting Australia on container ships but it was very basic (basically 80's Lima/Hornby OO standard) and would love a good one to modern standards.

SDS used to make one but in the candy scheme.

Failing that, the NR locos in the indigenous 'Warmi'  and 'Kungara Mankurpa' schemes make quite a statement.

https://auscisionmodels.com.au/Indigenous NR Class Locomotive.htm

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. My sister phoned me about an hour ago with some bad news. My brother who is not in the best of health had intestinal problems so they ran a scan which revealed polyps. Thats not what all that was found, he also has pancreatic cancer. Due to his existing medical problems there's no chance of chemo. It seems likely that its palliative care only from now on.

Sorry to hear about that Phil and trust that his palliative care is in good hands and with appropriate pain relief.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I would expect to discover that the caretakers of the creature could well be "Incontinentia Buttocks" and her hubby "Biggus Dickus"

You're not far off. The "Inner Circle" (keepers and providers of Punxsutawney Phil's meds) have published nicknames - like "Iceman" and "Moonshine".

In other news Fred la marmotte (the Punxsutawney Phil de Québec) was found dead on Groundhog Day/Candlemas and was unable to perform his shadow seeing duty. I don't know if that is auspicious or suspicious but is, at a minimum, ironically coincidental.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My daily walk was accompanied by rain and plenty of it at the beginning of my walk. Some hours later there is some high cloud with bright clear sunshine. Air quality is 'good' (US AQI of 28, down from an 'unhealthy' high of 157 yesterday morning). The rain has made quite a difference.

I wasn't expecting rain until later - I must have 'tuned out' that part of the weather forecast. Tomorrow might see showers with more rain on Sunday. We need it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

BINGO! I WIN!

Outside temperature this morning retrieving the newspaper... -25c - a dubious win for sure, but I don't expect any other ERs can beat that.

Hmmmm and there I was just now walking outside at 8.30am thinking  the 18 degrees temp had a decidedly autumn feel to it due to a bit of a cool  westerly blowing.....

(Westerlies this time of year usually  bring the dry furnace air from the deserts , so it must be cool in the outback  too!)

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

As a ‘Bubber’ I used to reside in Manly, and well recall ‘The Brickfielder’ and its associated outback heat!

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

A dose of zedding this afternoon, during which a certain Bear dreamed that I saw a Gorilla in the tree outside Bear Towers.  Very weird.

NNND has gone skiing for the very first time.  How Jealous is Bear?  Very - though I'd rather try snowboarding instead cos' there's only one of them so nottalottachance of them crossing.  She's left Bear a pile of veg and a new carton of Orange Juice to use, rather than them going to waste, which was very kind.  Big Tick.

Tomorrow should see the finale of the sanding/filling/sanding of the Leccy C.U. Box, followed by the first (and possibly even the second) coat of MDF Primer.  That's OK, I can do that.  I might even get carried away and do some prep of the walls in the Hallway too.  Maybe.

Bear gone.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My first Christmas present bear Now 65 years old sits on my mother's wardrobe, he's recently gained a pink bow round his neck I'm sure he'd be happier with a blue one.

Evening Awl,

Just back from the MRC, where I made like a ganger..

Of pink SWMBO has been painting the cupboard doors I made, the colour on the tin shows purple, what's come out of the tin appears to be a darkish pink. We are hoping the second coat will darken it..

Muggachoccy gone,

Goodnight Awl.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

SDS used to make one but in the candy scheme.

Failing that, the NR locos in the indigenous 'Warmi'  and 'Kungara Mankurpa' schemes make quite a statement.

https://auscisionmodels.com.au/Indigenous NR Class Locomotive.htm

Excellent, looking at it the candy scheme is the one I want, that was the livery when I used to visit. The SDS model looks very good and there seem to be examples still available to buy, I am very tempted.

I am scatter brained when it comes to models, my main running/modelling interests are SR Bulleid era and BR blue (bit of a difference there....) in OO and Japanese in N with quite a bit of Chinese and Italian HO. Most of my money goes on HO brass, but that is really a different hobby from modelling as I collect them to display. However, I have a habit of liking to have a model of countries I have visited and liked. At the moment my Australian souvenir is still my antiquated Powerline 81 class but I'd like a good one. Though looking at the Auscision website they have quite a few things I'd like........

Are there any red flags on the SDS model or is it a good one?

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I’m really sorry to hear that, Phil.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the hardest cancers to treat - even when there are no other comorbidities. It will be a difficult time for you, but rest assured ER are here to help out and support you. 

If I may make a comment, and to emphasise @PeterBB’s observation, ensure (and insist) that your brother gets adequate analgesia.  That will be of great importance during your brother’s palliative care.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9