RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This sort of using AI to turn photos into 3D models for printing looks very interesting. Nvidea (of graphics fame) seem to be releasing stuff for people to play with. Something called GET3D is available but I wouldn’t know what to do with it as it seems to mention Unix and Pythons. I would quite like to play with( buy?)  a 3D printer and having some way of turning photo images into models would be very nice. 
My nephew’s machine intelligence research is currently about language recognition and translation. He had colleagues working on image recognition but I think it is identify and respond rather than print it out.

I've seen youtubes of guys asking  chatGPT to produce python scripts for simple primitives like cylinders, which though its currently very dependant  on getting the question exactly right looks promising. It should in theory eventually be able to simply ask it to produce a 3D file of a particular  locomotive or whatever once the AI has developed sufficiently.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 9

2 hours ago, pH said:

One son and his family were in Hawaii for a vacation. They left there late yesterday evening to fly home on a red-eye. The clocks changed while they were in the air. There was much re-checking of time differences, absolute flight times etc to ensure that they were going to be picked up by son’s father-in-law at the correct early-morning arrival time.

It's a pain in the rear when the clocks change while travelling. There's enough mental gymnastics with the 'normal' time zone offsets that changing the clocks puts all the double checking in overdrive.

I was wondering how the professional golfers and tennis players (who do need to plan ahead for sleeping and pre-match conditioning) manage with a mid-tournament time change. Yes, the golfers tee times would be pushed back by an hour since the first tee times are governed by sunrise, but it would still be a wrinkle to manage.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's a pain in the rear when the clocks change while travelling. There's enough mental gymnastics with the 'normal' time zone offsets that changing the clocks puts all the double checking in overdrive.

I was wondering how the professional golfers and tennis players (who do need to plan ahead for sleeping and pre-match conditioning) manage with a mid-tournament time change. Yes, the golfers tee times would be pushed back by an hour since the first tee times are governed by sunrise, but it would still be a wrinkle to manage.

I arranged for a con-call with my tax guy last year while I was in Wyoming. The time was 2:00 pm Pacific which meant I had to adjust it to Mountain time. I got slightly miffed when my call went to voice-mail. Turned out I was two hours early 😄

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

They would surely give way to a little old lady.

<<Wouldn't they?>>

image.png.c214c0aba24515be19fc965a67169093.png  image.png.1ead818a572e154c3472e3c9b48c2477.png image.png.38aee23ae503ccea3924212b85fbd087.png

With that, night all, sleep tight, and nos da.

Polly

If they are anything like many people around here, particularly young-ish women who either think the world revolves around them or cannot look up from their phones, then probably not. Do what you can to force your place on the pavement.😀

And before anyone says *I* should give way to people, I do if they have more apparent mobility issues than I do - but I tend to hold back because if I fall or get knocked over I won't be able to stand up again. People who have mobility issues, apart from a few of the people on supermarket mobility devices, are rarely a problem - but able-bodied people who assume everyone can move around like they do are a big problem.

ĸen, either walking with two sticks, or pushing a shopping trolley while using one stick and with the other stick in the trolley.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

So this week I have mostly been ... sleeping.

Having now p155'ed off those who do not have that luxury in daytime hours, as a vegetarian I will attempt to annoy omnivorous eaters. 😄

What was, for me, Sunday[1] dinner was based around red cabbage. The meal would not be suitable for Type 2 diabetics, unless on insulin, and would probably be too unsweet' for those heading that way. A week or two ago I bought a small red cabbage in case I could not get any greens for the weekend - but then I I got some sprouts so the red cabbage has been sitting around, hoping I could get a red pepper. Yesterday I got a red pepper, I  already had a red onion, and in my fridge was half a pack of pre-cooked chestnuts. So:

Slice a (floury) potato (about 220gm) and cook in a saucepan in olive oil, in batches, removing when cooked and putting on kitchen paper. I consider this shallow-frying in a flat pan is sautéing, but in GB that usually means 'parboil, then cook in oil'. After that, slice the red onion, fry, add sliced and chopped red pepper and a little garlic. Chop half the red pepper into small pieces, add to the pan, fry a little, add plenty of red wine vinegar - for those with a sweet tooth, probably too sweet. Add a small tin of tomatoes (220gm), the half-pack of chestnuts, some broken walnuts, a little salt, plenty of sweet smoked paprika, the cooked potatoes, bring to the boil, simmer.

Served with a slice of seeded bread (I'm out of my own sourdough at the moment), red wine (Saintsbury's house pinot noir - romanian, rated as 'C' in the A-E red wine divisions - plonk, totally nothing like a burgundy - but then I wouldn't drink a good burgundy with this dish. Add some san pellegrino, follow with a banana (peeled from the 'growing' end, of course). To me, that all rated as "yummy".

The rest of you can keep your artisanal and cheffy meals, although baked bean pizza would be attractive if it used reduced-sugar baked beans 🤣 

1. Other timezones are available, but definitely Sunday in +6 and beyond. Getting up at sunset seems perfectly normal to me - hey, don't bring that sharpened stake here!

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

On a secret mission today, caught the train back to work to find the  v set fleet has been  refurbished in a nice mauve colour called bush plum, with matching walls, carpet and comfy leather look seats.  5 stars.

PXL_20230312_221000968.jpg.c0dae43ae41abbe6e794739820102898.jpg

( It didn't make 30 degrees today, hence the hoodies and jackets..)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Adam88 said:

I know little of this pasttime but knew a man who once went to see Huddersfield give a lacklustre performance at Leeds Road sometime in the forties or fifties.  A lone voice rose from the assembled throng, just loud enough to wake everyone up:

"Come on Town, scintillate or summat."

They had a stand that in those days was known as the Canker Lane stand. It got renamed later as the club and council didn't like the name. They've now got a new stadium altogether.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

I find snobbery, and its brother inverse-snobbery, to be an almost uniquely Anglo-Saxon (if not British) phenomena. In Italy, for example, both Opera and “fine dining” are enjoyed by all classes. Certainly, a Milanese Taxi-Driver might not go to the Opera or eat in top restaurants as frequently as a Milanese Lawyer - but purely for financial reasons and not because of some sort of “not for the likes of us” internalised class warrior.

Often, in the posts on ER, food/restaurants are derided as being “cheffy”, (“poncy” “too posh”) which not only shows a complete lack of understanding of what dining at this level is all about, but also is bitterly ironic - as many of those Chefs charging £100 for a tasting menu at their restaurants are from poor backgrounds: Tom Kerridge and Gordon Ramsay being good examples of (as they used to say) “working class lads made good”.

I suspect a lot of this derision is due to the fact that there are far too many mediocre to barely average restaurants in the UK who jump on the latest trends highlighted in the Sunday Colour Supplements without having a clue about what they are doing (or not having the skill to do it), using flowery language (aka talking utter b0ll0cks) to mask mediocre cooking.

And whilst on the subject of talking utter b0ll0cks, did anyone watch Crufts? When the presenters (and the Kennel Club judge turned commentator) talked about what this breed of dog or that breed of dog should look like, they used language that would make the most cynical, low-rent restauranteur go “that’s a bit OTT

Noble countenance”, “elegant lines”, “sturdy flanks” were just some of the terms bandied about. But not a word about health or character - except when talking to some of the more responsible breeders who mention - in passing - the need to avoid breeding in certain deleterious traits. Over the past years the Kennel Club has been severely criticised - and rightly so - for prioritising looks over health and temperament. In fact some of the most savage criticism has likened some breed standards to a form of organised animal cruelty (something I agree with). Quite frankly, anyone who deliberately breeds in a debilitating physical defect (as with breeds like bulldogs) is someone who has no business being around dogs, let alone breeding them (and, yes, that is a rant)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

AGM on line attended. A few attendees proved they can't read!!

I appreciate good food.. I don't see myself as a food snob.. but sometimes the quality and price don't match. And most people I know from across the world don't like  being overcharged or be provided with poor quality food.

I have a friend who has worked around the world as a Chef. He reckons most Americans have very simple tastes but want quantity. Seems that's a growing trend unfortunately.. with quantity replacing taste and quality.

Back to the walkabout.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Il Dottore makes a good point. I'm not much of a fine dining person, I like good food and have no objection to fine dining but I tend to eat at more affordable places (and here the standard of hawker stall food can be superb despite costing peanuts). However, as an opera and classical music enthusiast I have found quite a lot of inverse snobbery over the years. Maybe because I'm an unrepentant Northerner and a marine engineer to boot people find it incongruous. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I remember many years ago someone came to my cabin to ask about something and I was listening to the classic Bernstein recording of Beethoven's Fidelio, just as it got to Floristan's wonderful prison aria in act 2, trying to extol the greatness of someone singing god, what misery here wasn't easy.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The herd of red deer made the TV.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-03-12/deary-me-galloping-deer-stun-drivers-on-country-road

Mooring Awl, 

Hope the moorings a tied well, currently blowing 44 mph forecast to go up to 55mph.

4.5 + 1 + 1 hours sleep + some intermittent dozing.

Normally I don't like the TV talking about self important people in Hollywood, but at least its stopping some of the TV talking about a self important person who tweets.

Ben the I want out Collie has taken me on patrol. Very damp out there, and light grey skies.

In crowded streets, I've been known to turn 90 degrees, stand still, a shoulder pointing to the phone carrier. So far there hasn't been an impact , but there has been sudden halts or swerves.

image.png.6fe855512b8dfda27e0aad6e643e2086.png

Not any more 😊

Plans for today, 

Clean the picture frame I dropped into the ashes ( cold), see if it needs a repaint.

Do some work on the jib club, attachment points to boat and to forestay.

Lay the last flooring, 

Time for a muggacoffee and breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

If people have to dress like this to endure sharing a flight I'd consider pulling back on the mutton tikka vindaloo and pickled eggs..... Can't imagine dressing like this in Singapore, must be vey comfortable (it was check in for a flight to China in December).

815026463_IMG_20221113_0710556380.jpg.1f23047e87cc2b5ebbc3cc509790da52.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Those white suits are actually quite comfortable, until you put the face mask on, though I note they are only wearing the bottom end of masks. 

In all a lot easier than an eight hour shift wearing an NBC suit and full rubber respirator..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Up a lot earlier than usual as this morning, instead of completing the Sainsbury Grand Prix I’m taking Sheila to the eye hospital to pick up her eye drop prescription. It would be much easier if she could get this from our surgery, but unfortunately, for some unknown reason this particular drug can only be dispensed from a hospital! When we’ve been in the past, the hospitals pharmacy is usually quite first thing, hence to early visit. If we’re back early enough, I’ll do the shopping before dinner, if not, then it’ll get done this afternoon. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, southern42 said:

This meant dodging or passing several groups of people, or waiting for those crossing the road. On the way there, and back, I was forced several times off the pavement and onto the road by people refusing to walk a short distance in single file. It was not as though it was difficult for any of these couples, as two other couples did exactly that - and they got thanked for their consideration.

Bear's tactic is to stop on the inside of the pavement - if they want to get past then they'll have to walk around you.

One thing that really, really p*sses this Bear off is cyclists (and even worse, horse riders) riding two abreast so they can have a chat; the number around here that do that on narrow country lanes is just crazy - driving around a corner at a sensible speed to be suddenly confronted by two massive horses kinda focuses the attention somewhat.  It'll end in tears someday (and probably has, somewhere).

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I appreciate good food.. I don't see myself as a food snob.. but sometimes the quality and price don't match. And most people I know from across the world don't like  being overcharged or be provided with poor quality food.

Bear's mentality is such that I can look at an expensive meal and think "Jeez, I could've had a Pizza AND a Deltic for that.......".  And many moons later, I'd still have the Deltic......

Bear here......

Somewhat windy at Bear Towers this morning (Bear is innocent....) - apparently gusting 50mph at times.

Today sees a bit more muddlin' methinks.  And hopefully I'll do my very best to avoid any unplanned visits to A&E for the next three days (hopefully a lot longer) as the Junior Docs are on strike for 72 hours - and the Senior Docs/Consultants do rather nicely thank you very much by reportedly charging up to £262/hour for cover (there are reports of their Union recommending they charge up to £5000/day).  There may be a Rant there.....

Bear gone.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

F502E9A4-4643-4925-A0E2-7114D23F6D18.jpeg.333d3f8a642dd6715b2de029be6ff251.jpeg

My two (Lucy and Schotty) also watched Crufts with us, with - I suspect - an attitude of “poor bu99ers! But better them than us”.

Schotty - our Border Collie mix - seems to enjoy watching the sheepdog trials, but when I casually mention to Schotty “see! They’re working dogs, just like you are” he looks at me disdainfully as though to say “Yeah, So? You expect me to work? I should cocoa”

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica/arthritis started as soon as I got into bed last night and kept me awake for an hour or so. But then shear exhaustion took over and I fell asleep for about five hours. When I woke up the sciatica came back and I could hardly move, having to force myself to do so. However once I started moving about the pain disappeared.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is rather blustery here this morning. When we went for our walk on Saturday along the sea wall at Canvey it was “bracing”. Today it would be “don’t get blown over”. 
I like dogs but I am not really interested in dog shows like Crufts. We did take Robbie to,one when he was about a year old but it wasn’t exactly Crufts. We did enter him in the “just for fun” frisbee retrieval and the “have a go” after the official whippet race. He did seem interested in the police dog trials.

Tony

• Like 13