The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

@TheQ Condolences on the loss of your brother, remember the good times.

Chewsday...

Weekend replete with a variety of happenings;

Saturday, took a "significant" load of old electronics, that had been part of the attic storage, to a repair/restore/recycling place. They were over the moon when they saw the array of stuff, even the 20+ year old laptops. Hardly call them that as they must weigh 30lbs each! These folks figure they are refurbishable treasures so much so, I was invited into the "back room" to meet the geeks that repair/restore the stuff. Once I told them I also have three original Mac machines to bring over they almost dropped to the floor to praise me!!

The evening saw us at dinner then a play with friends, most enjoyable.

Sunday, took myself off to Jemma and Brendans to watch the F1, they're fans as am I though I don't often watch as the Mrs has little interest. Since it was in Jeddah the timing for a live watch party was perfect. After than more to-do back home.

Yesterday had a "wellness check" at the Drs. I have decided they need to throw their scale out as it never makes sense! I KNOW I'm down in weight with all the biking I'm doing on my Nordictrack, AND the fact my trousers/jeans are all loose now. The Dr office scale says I've GAINED 2lbs in the last six months - boLLOXXXX.

Then some client work, kept me from trying to post, so AWOL as a result.

Today, not much planned after the normal work event.

Weather somewhat improving here, expecting highs in the mid-single digits all week. Yesterday was bright sunshine and a high of 3, starting to make a dent in the snow cover.

-5c first thing, but headed for 5c and partly cloudy today with a chance of light rain late afternoon.

Onward.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Yesterday had a "wellness check" at the Drs. I have decided they need to throw their scale out as it never makes sense! I KNOW I'm down in weight with all the biking I'm doing on my Nordictrack, AND the fact my trousers/jeans are all loose now. The Dr office scale says I've GAINED 2lbs in the last six months - boLLOXXXX.

From a quick google ,

Does growing muscle make you gain weight?

You will gain weight from lean muscle mass that you add by building your muscles with exercise or weightlifting. But this won't happen right away. It will take you at least a month or two to add any lean muscle mass that would show up in your weight

And ,

Why am I gaining weight when I workout?

You will likely gain muscle mass and may begin to lose some fat mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it also burns more calories. Closely tracking your weight during this window can be confusing—your clothes may feel looser while the number on the scale stays the same or even goes up a few pounds.

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had a verbal statement as to having solar panels fitted to the house, £10-11,000, ouch! I think not as I doubt I will be living in this house long enough to benefit from it. Now off to Tess Coes for some shopping.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Came back on-line to ER.  Thoughts with TheQ and his family.  Still trying to downsize as we need space, DAve's daily walks and with others lots of interesting pictures.

Life expectancy - ONS figures and IDs comments both very interesting - like to live but hope not to end upsitting in a chiar somewhere and not really being with it or in so much pain  and with nothing that can be done about it.

Council tax - local cannot recall ur band at present but believe we will pay similar to GDB - nothing we can really do about that but have read that Burton has lost its brewing heritage site because of apparently dodgy council decisions and Derby council also doing some silly things although the good news as I see it is that Deby is the new national home for the 1:1 models that we perhaps know a bit about.

Soldering irons and Poly Bear Phil and GDB as well as our very arthritic friend having problems.

Brits and other drinking habits, Greek mythology - didn't access as it wanted 'agreement'  - the trouble with skimming is you think that you will remember the topics when you come to comment as you blog but the mind goes blank making the last few hours ...

Anyway best wishes and condolences as appropriate.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Once I told them I also have three original Mac machines to bring over they almost dropped to the floor to praise me!!

It might just be worth doing a quick check on the Auction Sites to research values - some of the early computer stuff is getting rather collectable (with prices to match).

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just had a verbal statement as to having solar panels fitted to the house, £10-11,000, ouch! I think not as I doubt I will be living in this house long enough to benefit from it. Now off to Tess Coes for some shopping.

What size system is that? Here the price range is usually $800 to $1200 per KW so a 6.6KW system should cost between $5280 and $7920.

Given Deltics arent of interest to anyone down  here given we have  awesome locos in prettier colours  I'm going to use the Big Mac index, which is based on the theory that a Big MAc should reflect local costs in each country and therefore be able to be used to indicate relative  buying power to convert it from Australian Big Macs into UK ones.

This gives the UK equivalent of 412 pounds to 619 pounds per kw, with a 6.6KW system therefore costing the equivalent of 2724 pounds to 4087 pounds.

HMM, either you were quoted on a large system or one with battery storage,  or the Big Mac maths conversion theory   is wrong or things in the UK do cost shedloads, yet the perceived wisdom of visitors is  apparently "Australia is so expensive!" so probably its my maths. 

Anyway, there would probably be some kind of solar rebate scheme there like many other countries have? Check that out, here depending on your income you are eligible for a rebate of up to 50% of the cost up to $2500 ( 1290 Big Mac pounds) and a 3 year interest free loan to cover the rest. Your government would have to have  something similar I reckon.

As for council rates, here they are set by the local councils and cover the cost of garbage collection, local road maintenance and so on. They are based purely on land size and usage (rural - residential, etc) regardless of what is on built on the property.  other than "improved" vs "unimproved"  Mine for this year based on a block  of 1200 square metres or just over a quarter acre about a 40 minute drive from the Sydney Opera House is $2002 per year, or Big Mac equivalented to 1032 pounds

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

Still a bit tense here but a ceasefire has been agreed for the evening.  Further holiday hunting and hostilities will re-commence in the morning. 🤪

Steve has posted a few pictures of Assisi on Instagram and he seems quite taken with the place.  Not sure if this is just a holiday or a working break with his partner (who is a writer and historian)  possibly researching a new book.  

Food has been surrounded but no wine tonight as I'm having two or three days off the booze each week.

Once again there doesn't seem to be anything on TV to interest me so I'm donning the headphones to listen to some music.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

1290 Big Mac pounds

Is that 1290 Big Mac pounds sterling or 1290 pounds of Big Mac?

If the latter I think I would need two sittings to manage them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Steve has posted a few pictures of Assisi on Instagram and he seems quite taken with the place.

Valerie and I have been to Assisi a couple of times and I can understand why he might be ‘quite taken’.  Even without the religious aspect (and there’s a lot of it about, which is important to Valerie) I found it a quite enchanting place.

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Is that 1290 Big Mac pounds sterling or 1290 pounds of Big Mac?

If the latter I think I would need two sittings to manage them.

Now, see that's the sort of confusion you now have to put up with when out of all the words in the world that you could have used, plus all the countless billions that haven't even been thought up yet , you  decided to choose to name your money using a word that you were already using to describe how heavy stuff is.

And yet  you invented the language in the first place!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Now, see that's the sort of confusion you now have to put up with when out of all the words in the world that you could have used, plus all the countless billions that hadnt even been thought up yet , you  decided to choose to name your money using a word that you were already using to describe how heavy stuff is.

And yet  you invented the language in the first place!

I shall impound myself and pound my head against the wall in penitence for the sins of my forefathers.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Big Mac index, which is based on the theory that a Big MAc should reflect local costs in each country and therefore be able to be used to indicate relative  buying power to convert it from Australian Big Macs into UK ones.

Appears to be premium (or at least login) content at Statista. 

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

This gives the UK equivalent of 412 pounds to 619 pounds per kW

I'm presuming these pounds to be Sterling / GBP rather than mass or some other footpound furlongs per fortnight nonsense.

17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

As for council rates, here they are set by the local councils and cover the cost of garbage collection, local road maintenance and so on.

I am still perplexed by Band E (which I take as not being the E Street or other "bands"). Here, in addition to metered electricity, gas and water* there are property taxes assessed by the county. These are based on the assessed value of the improved property** at time of sale or other improvement. They do increase but not in direct proportion to the current value of the property***. (Mine are substantially more than @grandadbob.)

Garbage removal subscriptions are paid directly to the company providing the service.

* Which covers sewage and stormwater

** House etc and land

*** Californians who were being priced out of their homes by rampant property taxes fueled by increasing property values led the way in 1978 with Proposition 13. Oregonians passed a similar referendum (measure 5) in 1990.

Today I am finding that the Connatix pop-up video player (showing a Rapido Hunslet over and over) no longer presents a click-to-close button. this is truly obnoxious.

• Informative/Useful 14

20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... you decided to choose to name your money using a word that you were already using to describe how heavy stuff is

Which made sense when it referred to a libra of silver, or a pound of silver sterling coins or similar.

The pound was removed from the silver standard in 1816 - though there were many perturbations - including the amusingly named "great debasement".

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

I met up with a couple of College Buddies at the Cafe for lunch - the first time in, well, ages; much very non-PC discussion took place.......

And after that, well just going with the flow really.

Tomorrow's fun includes the previously mentioned pencil lines on the walls task, along with a shed load of washing to do.  Yippee.....

BG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10