The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

cleaning to keep the door seals from getting

I don’t know what the manufacturer of our current machine has done to negate that problem but it doesn’t seem to be one. Perhaps it is taken care of in the “Run hygiene programme now” message that pops up occasionally. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have never seen a washing machine with concrete ballast, though I am led to believe this is common with front-loading machines.

I had to google it too.  Front loaders are pretty rare here other than modern apartments which are too small to have a proper laundry so have to stack the dryer on top of the washer or stick them in the kitchen or something.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I had to google it too. 

In France we have come across top loader machines that actually have a drum that rotates like the one in a front loader. There  is a little door in the drum to shove the washing through. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In France we have come across top loader machines that actually have a drum that rotates like the one in a front loader. There  is a little door in the drum to shove the washing through. 

Mines by a brand originating in New Zealand and uses a permanent magnet motor. Has the beauty that when it dies I can flog the motor off, they are apparently popular among the  homemade  windfarm  enthusiasts crowd.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mines by a brand originating in New Zealand and uses a permanent magnet motor. Has the beauty that when it dies I can flog the motor off, they are apparently popular among the  homemade  windfarm  enthusiasts crowd.

When our previous washing machine died just over ten years ago with an uneconomic to repair fault, I went out and ordered another one. Aditi was still working then and as usual rang me at lunchtime to see how I was or what I had been doing. So, I said I had ordered a new washing machine as the old one had failed spectacularly. “What did you buy?”  I said they had some new Indian made ones called DhobiRani and they sounded like a bargain. She wasn’t amused and said she had wanted a Miele. Later she rang back and said (after Google research, I imagine) there was no such brand and what had I really chosen. She wasn’t displeased. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I had such a procedure for periodontal disease many years ago. The wound where the tissue is taken from is very painful for a long time.

Big ouch.  You're not exactly sellin' it to this Bear somehow.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Big ouch.  You're not exactly sellin' it to this Bear somehow.....

I'm pleased to have done it and that it is long in the past. It worked very well to restore my gums and everything felt 'normal' and pain free after a while.

I don't remember the specifics, but Google suggests the following:

The palate takes longer to heal than the gum graft and spans from six to eight weeks following the surgery. For the first few days you will experience a burning sensation and it will take about 14 days before the discomfort will stop

That all sounds consistent with my recollection.

• Friendly/supportive 14

16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When our previous washing machine died just over ten years ago with an uneconomic to repair fault, I went out and ordered another one. Aditi was still working then and as usual rang me at lunchtime to see how I was or what I had been doing. So, I said I had ordered a new washing machine as the old one had failed spectacularly. “What did you buy?”  I said they had some new Indian made ones called DhobiRani and they sounded like a bargain. She wasn’t amused and said she had wanted a Miele. Later she rang back and said (after Google research, I imagine) there was no such brand and what had I really chosen. She wasn’t displeased. 

OK, I would love to give you an @jamie92208 style laughing emoji but 've tried reading it backwards, rearranging the letters, saying it in a Peter Sellers style Indian accent along with various novelty English accents and I am none the wiser! 

So as usual when all else fails, I turn to short clips of young Aussies in V8 Holdens getting their fun curtailed  by the police. 

Thats the Actual Police, not the Fun Police.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 14

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

OK, I would love to give you an @jamie92208 style laughing emoji but 've tried reading it backwards, rearranging the letters, saying it in a Spike Milligan style Indian accent along with various novelty English accents and I am none the wiser! 

So as usual when all else fails, I turn to short clips of young Aussies in V8 Holdens getting their fun curtailed  by the police. 

As far as I can work out, it translates to something like "LaundryQueen", but I may be wrong. It would also sound better in a Peter Sellars accent, rather than Spike Milligan!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm pleased to have done it and that it is long in the past. It worked very well to restore my gums and everything felt 'normal' and pain free after a while.

I don't remember the specifics, but Google suggests the following:

That all sounds consistent with my recollection.

Anyone to have undergone dental surgery like that will always have my sympathy, no questions asked!

I still shudder at the memories of when my wisdom teeth were extracted. I was wearing dental braces at the time and the wisdom teeth eventually were found to jeopardise the effectiveness of the braces, so they needed to go. Wasn't nice to not be able to really eat anything for a couple of days, or to wake up on a blood-stained pillow due to post-op bleeding.

Yeah, right, I'm stopping already! 😱

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here..........

Well that's the top coat of the top colour at the top of the H/S/L walls finally completed (apart from the small-ish n' easy area that's yet to be wallpapered).  Big Tick.

That blew the morning completely, and after din dins a certain Bear was feeling rather washed out (the after-effects of yesterday** plus today's antics) so zedding was carried out.

Tomorrow may well see Bear finally getting round to cutting the grass for the first time in many months - I'm sure Larry the Lawnmower won't be happy so it'll be gentle as it goes.  

** For the last couple of years or so my annual mileage has been in the order of a 1000 miles or so - yesterday was about 200 miles in a day so a bit of a culture shock; it certainly did Bear some good - and I'm sure Mickey the MG has benefitted as well.

Bear gone.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There are plenty of front-loaders here too - they are the most visible in the appliance stores, but there are plenty of top-loaders around and they are still available. When I moved into my house, I chose a top-loader. (I was warned that the front-loaders need more attentive cleaning to keep the door seals from getting funky.)

If you have enough space for a top loader they are a better idea. Our current one is still going strong after more than twenty years. The previous one also lasted with us for twenty years. It was second-hand and we only disposed of it because it was redundant.

The tumbler action in a front loader does reduce water consumption but the door seal is a big issue. Many yonks ago we had something called a Phillips Slimstar. It was a top loader but it had a horizontal rotating barrel like a front loader except that the barrel was supported on bearings at both ends. There was a trap-door in the barrel to load and unload the washing. We really liked it but we had to leave it in the UK when we headed West.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

What's the fine/points/ban for pulling off a gag like that?

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It would also sound better in a Peter Sellars accent, rather than Spike Milligan!

Even though Milligan was Indian by birth?

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite why get involved in a laughing emoji I'not sure but the dhobi wallah did the washing and rhanis a queen or princess. There are some advantages to having had a mother who was born in India. 

Jamie who never uses emoji. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know what the manufacturer of our current machine has done to negate that problem but it doesn’t seem to be one. Perhaps it is taken care of in the “Run hygiene programme now” message that pops up occasionally. 

My washing machine is forty years old and the door seal is still doing its job.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. There must be a change in the weather coming as Arthur Itis is in full voice, Nurofen has been taken. I popped into the MRC this evening and paid my subs for the year. There was only a few members present and its been so long since I was last able to visit the clubhouse there's a few unfamiliar faces. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

As far as I can work out, it translates to something like "LaundryQueen", but I may be wrong. It would also sound better in a Peter Sellars accent, rather than Spike Milligan!

Aditi fully understood what DhobiRani meant but I assume it sounded plausible to her as an Indian brand name. Aditi can’t do a Peter Sellars/Spike Milligan Indian accent when speaking English. Even now she gets people saying “you don’t sound Indian”. She says it is probably due to being here since 1959.

• Like 18