Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad morning, a few noises from Arthur Itis but he was soon silenced. Apart from a bit of shopping, which will be done while the two Derby's are on the box when I expect it to be quiet.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

I am off to Copenhagen tonight for a week, spreading the gospel of reducing GHG emissions. Somebody has to fly around the world to reduce emissions so it may as well be me. 

I'm flying Singapore Airlines so it should be a decent flight. We had some of my wife's friends around for lunch, one of which manages training of their flight attendants. She told me that most of their flight attendants are not Singaporean, and that they employ more people from China, Japan and Korea because it's easier to teach them the required customer service skills.

It's something I'd never thought about but as she discussed things I couldn't help thinking 'yeah, that makes sense'. There are many positive attributes about Singaporean people, but to outsiders they can seem rather abrupt and devoid of manners. That's unfair, it is more that local norms value to the point communication and the custom is to speak very quickly and use all sorts of local idioms, and like the add the infamous 'lah' to the end of statements. So they will happily answer a complex question with the affirmative 'correct' or 'can' (or even 'can can') She said getting them out of these habits, slowing their speech down and losing 'lah' is a bit of a nightmare for the training department.  

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Danglin' & Rollin' as promised - first top coat on the skirting & dado rail for the landing, as well as edging strip for one of the door frames.

Then it was the first & second coats on the LHS stair wall.  A Big Tick day.  Tomorrow should see two coats on the lower wall sections on the staircase & hallway.  Hopefully.

BG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning's shopping only took a few minutes, one shop had everything I wanted.  Then I parked on the Quayside, walked along it onto the path along the old staiths and then a bit further and round the park.  As I walked back along the old staiths I had a look down and saw the items in the photos below, which look a bit like either strawberry plant containers or grotesque masks.  They hang on chains from the wood framework into the water so they are in the sea some of the time, some do not have holes at the bottom so the water remains as the tide ebbs.  They are to provide homes for sea creatures, both plant and animal.

Back home it was time for coffee and old photos, this time 1994 in Denmark, Sewden and Norway which occupied me until lunchtime - Cumberland sausage and chips.  I've never had sausages with so little fat before and they were delicious, the farm shop will be visited again.

During the afternoon I sorted some things out in the garage, including making sure several aerosols are empty so that they can safely be disposed of in the correct bin.  Later I cut down some of the daffodil leaves and did some weeding before watching part of the cup final.  Earlier I'd watched the Derby.

In a few minutes it will be tea time and then the usual mix of music, TV and book.

sIMG_9662Blyth.jpg.c0338f2e3fca17b9e1bd602ffcb30679.jpg

sIMG_9664Blyth.jpg.7e0a9d597b8e00c9bf7cff7aad1d8475.jpg

David

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I've found some internet intermittently.

A mostly sunny day. We've seen 2/3 of the competitors go past.

But the stragglers will straggle all night...

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The sciatica hit again about lunchtime so I had to stretch out for a couple of hours. Putting some heat on seems to ease it considerably but doesn't do much for the leccy bill.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

👏 Our bins were collected, today 5 I/2  weeks after the last collection. 

👏

Edited by southern42
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

First boat is not far off finishing, that'll be around 9 hour having sailed 50 miles and taken their Mast down 4 times.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening!

Firstly, condolences to Stewart at his sad news.

A trip to St Neots today for a wander along the river which was quite pleasant.     Seems like the rats on the river bank are very tame.   We watched one shuffling through the grass not 4 metres away for 15 minutes or so.    Would have been nicer if it had had been a water vole.   Come to think of it they are not so very different really are they?    Where's Sir David when you need him?  We need to know!

The Beeza's oil tank was replenished today along with a few other checks in readiness for an expedition to the Stony Stratford classic vehicle meet tomorrow.  It will be a 50 mile round trip, hopefully it will make it there and back in one piece! 🤞

Time for bed said Zebedee ...

• Like 17