The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PupCam said:

There's at least an order of magnitude difference in the risk from Lithium batteries and "conventional"  liquid fuels.     The former are basically unstable incendiary devices when damaged. The damage can be from manufacture, the use of cheap or sub-standard materials,  poor assembly,  physical/ mechanical abuse (impact damage, puncturing etc), usage abuse incorrect charging (over-charging, over dis-charging, unbalanced charging and a host of other things), mechanical damage due to the working environment etc etc etc ad nauseam.    

There was a Campaigner on the Telly tonight that said the energy in a Li-on battery (E-bike I think) was comparable with that of four hand-grenades.

I wonder how you check for internal damage to a car battery after an accident, when the car is repairable?  Or are Insurers going to routinely write-off cars, even after minor-ish accidents?  If that's the case then premiums will go thru' the roof.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Made me chortle. I’m not sure if it’s a northern thing but we often talk about ‘going for a big job’.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_job#:~:text=Big Job%2C a slang term for feces or defecation.

Why did I hear Billy Connelly's voice in my head as I read that! 🤣

Nicked off of Faceache but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.    Attributed to a (not the) "Steve Davies".

To all the Supermarkets and big commercial stores that operate 'Self Check-outs'....... You are heading towards almost exclusively self-checkout now. Yesterday I went shopping at one such store and the lady checking receipts at the exit was stopping everyone.

I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, I had already filled my trolly, emptied my trolly and scanned the items, refilled my trolly and so I just skipped the exit line and left.

I heard her saying "Umm - Excuse me “ as I kept walking and raised the receipt above my head, leaving the store.

You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be.

• I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.

• If you want me to be a cashier with no training then that's your problem not mine.

• Keep employing young people and give them job opportunities.

YOU DON'T PAY ME TO SCAN MY OWN SHOPPING.

YOU DON’T GIVE ME STAFF DISCOUNT FOR WORKING FOR YOU.

Signed ......All of us

People we need to share this statement its basically about PROFIT to the stores AND putting People out of a JOB....!!!

IoN2

I think the astronomy can wait.   The thought of bed is more appealing to a tired Puppers

Night Awl!

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

@PupCam wrote

"The VERY, VERY SCARY  THING is just how ubiquitous the Lithium battery has become in modern society; phones, computers, toys etc.    I along with thousands of others have even got one implanted in our chests albeit they won't be getting recharged. "

It is important to take a proportional view of this.  Small low power devices have  small numbers of Lithium ion batteries and while these can fail catastrophically, the impact in most circumstances will be small.  There will be exceptions of course - for example even a small failure in an enclosed environment such as inside an airplane fuselage can create special problems.

The real problem is when you have large banks of batteries needed to provide the high power to propel for example a vehicle - car, bike, scooter etc..  There the energy build up of one cell failing can cause adjacent cells to overheat and run away and then you have a catastrophic runaway.   All of the stored energy is suddenly released.

The same is true of petrol.  Take a single drop of petrol and throw it on to a fire and you might even miss the effect.  Take a litre bottle and throw it on a fire and the impact is likely to be unpleasant.  Take a tankerful and release that onto a fire and - bang.

In both the Li-ion and petrol cases the important factor is how much stored energy is potentially about to be released.  

So be cautious but don't be overly concerned about the use in small low power devices.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

Evening All,

Decent enough day here and we’ve got Sydney for a sleepover. His stays with us during the school holidays are sporadic as can be expected. Not a lot actually got done and what did was akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but as is often said in defence, ‘just following orders’

Anyway here’s a picture of the repaired guest toilet. Hopefully there will be no more such incidents but we do have three of this type of WC and the wash basin and the bath have similar concealed pipe work.

Three dehumidifiers are on the go at the minute but as they’re at the other end of the bungalow  they’re not too much of an inconvenience.

Anyway Goodnight.

D2D5178C-2F13-4C6E-ADA5-45251EF446AB.jpeg.086e14ae9f0b6a1419083f28059c7e2a.jpeg 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, 45156 said:

I still think that Leander in this livery just looks like a slightly odd Black 5 - BR Brunswick Green every time

Regards to All

Stewart

Seems the loco was this colour from 1949-52, not sure why they chose that livery when restored, I don't mind what colour it is as it is due to come back again on Saturday, so I might get the chance to film it on my movie camera if it's not raining.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Saw a hedgehog today, the first one I've seen in twenty years. Sadly it was laying in the road dead having been struck by a car. There's no chance of seeing one near my house as there's too many foxes around. Also notable is that the muntjac deer seems to have disappeared, they moved into the area during lockdown.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

met a rather aloof cat.

Or, as they are generally known, a cat...  Cats were once worshipped as gods, and they have never forgotten this.

There is one up the road from me that is anything but, though; it'll come out of it's house as soon as it sees me half a block away and roll over to have it's tummy rubbed, complete and utter .  The wierd thing is that it did this the first time it ever saw me and apparently doesn't do it for anyone else (I am the cat whisperer...).

• Like 7
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

@PupCam wrote

"The VERY, VERY SCARY  THING is just how ubiquitous the Lithium battery has become in modern society; phones, computers, toys etc.    I along with thousands of others have even got one implanted in our chests albeit they won't be getting recharged. "

It is important to take a proportional view of this.  Small low power devices have  small numbers of Lithium ion batteries and while these can fail catastrophically, the impact in most circumstances will be small.  There will be exceptions of course - for example even a small failure in an enclosed environment such as inside an airplane fuselage can create special problems.

The real problem is when you have large banks of batteries needed to provide the high power to propel for example a vehicle - car, bike, scooter etc..  There the energy build up of one cell failing can cause adjacent cells to overheat and run away and then you have a catastrophic runaway.   All of the stored energy is suddenly released.

The same is true of petrol.  Take a single drop of petrol and throw it on to a fire and you might even miss the effect.  Take a litre bottle and throw it on a fire and the impact is likely to be unpleasant.  Take a tankerful and release that onto a fire and - bang.

In both the Li-ion and petrol cases the important factor is how much stored energy is potentially about to be released.  

So be cautious but don't be overly concerned about the use in small low power devices.  

6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Petrol requires an external source of ignition to ignite. Li-ion batteries can ignite with no external ignition source. That's a very big difference.

Double quote

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It seems all the effort to promote a plant based diet focusses on creating meat substitutes which are costly and very processed. 

As per your second thought, the marketing/promotion/advertising of meat substitutes is what is funded - by commercial interests.

Traditional plant-based recipes are everywhere as are the ingredients to prepare them. They're just not the potential money-spinner of industrial meat substitutes.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

The best containment process seems to be to bury them in deep sand presumably to remove the oxygen source whilst they burn out. 

They are dangerous because they do not need an external oxygen source to burn.

I thought this is a useful explanation:

Li-ion batteries have all the elements needed to self-sustain a fire

To understand how a Li-ion battery can catch fire or explode, it is necessary to investigate how the battery is built. A Li-ion battery store and release its electrical energy through electrochemical reactions. When electrical energy is drawn/discharged from the battery, lithium ions move from one electrode to the other. The electrodes are submerged in a liquid called an electrolyte, which allows for the movement of ions and consists of lithium salt and organic solvents. It is these organic solvents which are the leading fire hazard in Li-ion batteries. Furthermore, the positively charged electrode (cathode) in the battery contains oxygen, which may be released if the battery is subjected to specific stresses, e.g., internal short, excessive heat, and more. This means that the Li-ion batteries have all the elements needed to self-sustain a fire.

Early days. Safety will improve. It has to.

EDIT

We've had >120 years of learning to manage how to "safely" handle, store and use internal combustion fuels. The Tesla Roadster (one of the first practical Li-Ion powered production cars) was introduced in 2008*. All the hallmarks of disruptive technology/innovation are there - like the novel technology being perceived to have shortcomings over the incumbent technology.

* The first generation Apple iPhone is older - introduced in 2007.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added paragraph
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

54 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I find it interesting how the whole debate about meat eating changed over night.

For most of my life vegetarianism was motivated in most (but not all) cases by religious belief and animal welfare concerns and an aversion to killing animals. That led to more ethical animal farming for meat eaters who shared concerns about animal welfare but wanted to keep eating meat.

Now vegetarianism carries a similar stigmatism in some quarters to eating meat (it's veganism or nothing, and I suspect we're on a pathway to an end point where we won't have a choice) and it's all about saving the world.

I am firmly of the perspective that by the time Gen-Z (Zoomers if you will) are the same age as today's boomers, the point of view expressed by @Tim Dubya regarding mammalian* sentience will be a widely-held if not majority opinion - leading to far less consumption of mammals for food / leather / glue / etc.

* At a minimum

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that qualms about killing animals has led me to eat a lot less meat. However, I must confess to being weak willed or a hypocrite (or both) in that I can't bring myself to give up meat. I try to assuage my feelings by buying meat which has been ethically farmed, but even then I seldom make the effort to trace the claims and tend to take the labelling and certification at face value. And as someone who worked in certification (though classification of ships, and in renewable energy, not agriculture) I should know better than anyone to not just take certification claims at face value.

I once went nuts in class, it was probably the only time I lost my cool. A ship yard questioned what the class approval of an engine sub-system meant. My initial thought was 'it means it meets the class rules and can be used on our classed ships' but thought I had better read the certificate. The cover sheet was a regular approval certificate (i.e. approved), the following page listed 28 aspects of the design which did not meet the rules and that it could not be used on our ships. A regional office had approved it then in the small print said it wasn't approved. No, I couldn't figure it out either. Needless to say the supplier was selling it as having been approved by class and most yards (who did know better) accepted it as they could blame class if anything went wrong. However, the upside was I got a very pleasant trip to Korea to read the riot act and do an audit of other work in the office. Terrific food in Korea.

• Like 17

On 26/07/2023 at 20:33, AndyID said:

If I had one it would have to live in the driveway

Kind of like all those Hyundai and Kia owners (irrespective of the motive power source)?

More than 567,000 vehicles are affected by an issue that can cause wiring in a tow hitch to short circuit and cause a fire. Owners of more than 567,000 Hyundai and Kia vehicles are being told to park their cars outside because of a defect in the towing harness that could result in a fire.

Hyundai said wiring in the tow harness can become wet, causing a short circuit in the electronics that could create a fire.

And nothing at all to do with Li-ion batteries - just bad wiring harness waterproofing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Paws up all those that think tommy sauce on toast is rather good....

image.png.1a6ad72ba071c4c17f8a3e80d71bddc0.png

Add basil, chopped tomato, garlic, chopped onions and chilli, pineapple bits,  grated cheese and sliced ham or cabanossi and whack  it back under the grill for a minute or so to melt - poverty pizza!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5