The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Today’s Google search for “1/24 scale, helicopter kits“ return quite a few hundred results, a huge number of which did not feature either the right scale or even feature a helicopter.

Do you really want a search which returns only items which satisfy the search terms exactly? For example, with that search, would you be happy with it missing items which would be retrieved with the searches:

“1/24 scale, helicopter kit“  or “1/24 scale, helicopter model“ ?

Unless you are trying to retrieve a single item that you know to be there (e.g. you’ve looked at it before), it’s always better to start off with a broad search, in an attempt to catch everything you might want, recognizing that you will get a lot you don’t want (and almost certainly still miss stuff you would be interested in). Then, assuming you do get results, gradually add criteria to narrow the search, as you did.

I do take your point about ‘sponsored’ items appearing first.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, pH said:

Do you really want a search which returns only items which satisfy the search terms exactly? For example, with that search, would you be happy with it missing items which would be retrieved with the searches:

“1/24 scale, helicopter kit“  or “1/24 scale, helicopter model“ ?

Unless you are trying to retrieve a single item that you know to be there (e.g. you’ve looked at it before), it’s always better to start off with a broad search, in an attempt to catch everything you might want, recognizing that you will get a lot you don’t want (and almost certainly still miss stuff you would be interested in). Then, assuming you do get results, gradually add criteria to narrow the search, as you did.

I do take your point about ‘sponsored’ items appearing first.

You make a good observation about specificity; however given how sophisticated modern search engines can be, I would have thought that tge search engine would be able to return the first N results for “1/24 scale helicopter kits” (or models) or for “1/24 scale” or for “helicopter kits”,  and not for “1/32 scale” and/or “tank kits”.  Perhaps AI will be better?

Of course, to be a wee bit cynical, just as supermarkets put items they especially want to sell* in a prominent position on the way to the checkout, perhaps that’s now what’s happening with Google searches

* I vaguely remember a book (or perhaps a TV programme???) that claimed that supermarkets get paid handsomely by product manufacturers to prominently display their items in the places most heavily frequented by shoppers in the store

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I would have thought that tge search engine would be able to return the first N results … for “1/24 scale” or for “helicopter kits”,  and not for “1/32 scale” and/or “tank kits”

So would you, or would you not, expect it to return a result for a 1/24th scale tank kit?

Or for a 1/32 scale helicopter kit?

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Perhaps our resident Fraggle & Puppershire Resident might like to give this a try.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/motorcycle-rider-lies-down-comfortably-at-high-speed-on-highway/vi-AA1eTP1T?ocid=socialshare

Most certainly not!     

Looks too close to a Hardley Abletoo …..

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Humour me il Dottore.

Junk Google. It is a sales platform not a search engine. Try Duck Duck Go, selectable under preferences > search on safari and I assume other browsers. 

Search for 1/24 scale helicopter kits. 

Note the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Certainly, manufacturer websites are incredibly helpful, but you gotta know who the manufacturers are in the first place…

For aircraft models I would normally look at hannants.co.uk but 1/24 helicopter kits seem to be remarkably scarce, only two and not in stock anyway. Other scales. Like 1/35, 1/48 and 1/72 have a bigger selection. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

It has long irritated me that kits of aircraft and watercraft are scaled at 1:72 while railways and road vehicles are scaled at 1:76. It is just as frustrating that many people are scaled at 1:87 (which of course matches many trains and road vehicles). Getting the “look” right when mixing scales is of course part of the skill of the hobby. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You make a good observation about specificity; however given how sophisticated modern search engines can be, I would have thought that tge search engine would be able to return the first N results for “1/24 scale helicopter kits” (or models) or for “1/24 scale” or for “helicopter kits”,  and not for “1/32 scale” and/or “tank kits”.  Perhaps AI will be better?

Of course, to be a wee bit cynical, just as supermarkets put items they especially want to sell* in a prominent position on the way to the checkout, perhaps that’s now what’s happening with Google searches

* I vaguely remember a book (or perhaps a TV programme???) that claimed that supermarkets get paid handsomely by product manufacturers to prominently display their items in the places most heavily frequented by shoppers in the store

I get very irritated by "search engines"  that can't or won't actually apply a simple bit of boolean logic to their search results no matter how hard you try to encourage them.    Whether they are truly a sales engine (e.g. Amazon) or a sales engine masquerading as search engine (e.g. insert usual suspects here) their inability to reflect one's wishes (even if you exclude specific terms) is truly bewildering and annoying in equal measure.

1 hour ago, Dave John said:

Humour me il Dottore.

Junk Google. It is a sales platform not a search engine. Try Duck Duck Go, selectable under preferences > search on safari and I assume other browsers. 

Search for 1/24 scale helicopter kits. 

Note the difference.

And has been for a very long time.   It didn't get so very big, so very rich and so very powerful by giving you the answer to "Who won the university boat race in 1857?"  (or any one of millions of random questions).

Being a cynical sort of Pup I do wonder how  the DuckDuckGo business model works..    They don't sell your "information" allegedly but it can't be down to some altruistic Dax the Duck can it .......

..... and a bit of searching suggests:

How does DuckDuckGo make money?

DuckDuckGo Business Model Analysis. DuckDuckGo makes money in two simple ways: Advertising and Affiliate Marketing. Advertising is shown based on the keywords typed into the search box. Affiliate revenues come from Amazon and eBay affiliate programs.

TTFN

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I've recently been searching for specific screen fonts, to see if the versions I documented some years ago are still available at the sites I linked to, and seem to have the same content - I want to revise some of the items there, and to include some other fonts.. One font I had looked at in the past used to contain a small capitals ('S C') variant in the single package (regular, bold, italic, etc), but no longer does. Eventually found it at google fonts, but the first matches went to various sites, one in japanese which I cannot read, another where you had to register, and the blurb under the extracts mostly said something like "does not contain 'S C'" - but it is easy to skip over that part of the text.

Part of the trouble is that sometimes we put in search terms trying to guess at what will produce some semi-useful results, and other times we know exactly what we are looking for and want it to match all the search terms.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I almost never use Duck Duck Go,when I do it is for a specific search term and usually returns very few results. I couldn't remember which small caps font I had been searching for, so I looked at one on my list.

The first 4 gurgle results showed the font name including SC, the next did not show SC in the brief text example, but did not have any comment afterwards, and it was only after that when I found a "match" which had at the end 'Missing: SC ‎| Show results with: SC' (that match would have taken me to an Adobe site).

The Duck had one result which mentioned S C, at the bottom of the first page - a bit above that were two images labelled as what I asked for (EB Garamond S C), but clearly they were NOT small caps. I don't think I'll be using the Duck  any more often than I have been, while continuing to swear from time to time about the irrelevant results google gives me.🙂

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

... oil companies collectively have a history of misinformation propaganda about the deleterious effects of burning the stuff going back 60-odd years

Irrefutably so. I believe I have mentioned that Exxon-Mobil donated their research archives to (I believe) Arizona State University* the University of Texas. It is a treasure trove of scholarly works by company employees predicting climate change, measuring sea temperatures using company oil tankers and alternative energy research in solar power, Lithium batteries and electric vehicles - dating back as far as the 1970s. A font of information for enterprising journalists.

They predicted fossil fuel-induced climate change. Then they buried and obfuscated their own findings.

The PBS Frontline documentary series covered this in detail. The documentary is online. It is very compelling in terms of what they knew, when they knew it and what they did about it.

* In the documentary linked at 12:03 in episode 1.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6