Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I very rarely watch tv these days, I've just spent a couple of hours touring Australia with Les Hiddins on youtube

The Bush Tucker Man! A major in the Australian Army, his mission was to research possible edible foods in  Australia's tropical North and deserts in order to give service personal access to supplementary food and medical  resources in the field  should we ever have to fight the invading hordes sweeping down from the north -  from this the ABC commissioned a TV series about his work.

Nowadays every remote area  has "tough guys"  making docos about themselves  wandering around eating weird things but his TV series was released back in 1988, and he did actually do valuable research beyond the mere thrill of seeing someone eat something yucky.

For instance the Kakadu Pear, although its health and medicinal properties had been understood by the indigenous people for thousands of years, was not analysed until he sent some for further research. It turns out to contain the highest amount of vitamin C  of any plant  in the world.

He is also famous for his distinctively shaped slouch hat.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What gaping question of time?

The bigger timeline question is between III and IV. (It's around 20 years, but many characters aged more than that - like Obi Wan Kenobi.)

The timeframe between V and VI (a year) is also a question. Yoda is hale and hearty at 899 years old (or whatever), in V and then lies down for his eternal rest in VI.

The timelines you'd expect for Luke to go to Dagoba and do the sort of Jedi training which might be expected to get him to where he is by the time he leaves and for the parallel plot around Bespin are way out of alignment I think. One seems like it would be months, the other in days.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Star Wars is the quintessential example of pop culture and pure entertainment for me. George Lucas created an alternate reality which absurd as it was allowed us to switch off from reality and forget about what was happening in the real world for a couple of hours. It was a mishmash of the standard story lines that virtually all writers rely on (good vs. evil, love, there being something more to life than everyday physical existence,  lots of action etc) but it was wonderfully entertaining. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

25 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The timelines you'd expect for Luke to go to Dagoba and do the sort of Jedi training which might be expected to get him to where he is by the time he leaves and for the parallel plot around Bespin are way out of alignment I think.

Yes - though apologists could easily suggest that with the hyperdrive broken, the Millennium Falcon took a long time to get to Bespin at sub-light speed - their tedious journey offering Luke the time to get his training in.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, figworthy said:

Against my better judgement, I started to watch the first episode, and after about 20 minutes my codswallopometer (tm) had gone off the scale.

Reportedly Sir Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing thought much the same during filming. While Guinness may never have loved the result, he was always complimentary about the changes it made to his financial condition:

"Blessed be Star Wars", regarding the income it provided.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

You're in good company - I believe a certain Mr. Wright hasn't either.

Bear here.......

This doesn't exactly come as a great surprise - nor does the length of time it's taken for the UK Gov to finally get off it's lazy, useless ar5e and do something about it:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ex-raf-officers-face-prosecution-if-they-train-chinese-pilots/ar-AA1gPVGB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e231a6fc83dc471f91732e46cb03fc0a&ei=6

I'm amazed this wasn't already addressed by existing law and regulations. I remember at LR some of the instructions I received on security and secrets as a condition of doing naval work were rather intimidating and I didn't really have access to any secrets (you can find most of the info you might want on the power and propulsion systems of warships in the public domain). I wonder whether this is the usual government response when they're caught with their pants down in inventing new laws rather than admitting existing laws already addressed whatever has caused problems if the government made the effort to implement them? 

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think it has been morphed into something that its not by fanatically loyal fans, subsequent studios  and franchisees and the fact that it never seems to have an end!

No, it was just phenomenally successful. It's not "morphed" into anything different from what it was - entertainment.

One thing that "Hollywood" (and by that I mean the movie industry - much of the Star Wars "universe" was actually filmed at Pinewood in the UK) understands, is that if something sells tickets, then keep making more of that.

There have been 9 Star Wars movies, 11 if you count Rogue One and Solo, but there are 12 Fast and Furious movies. Riddle me that Batman!

Oh yeah! In all their permutations there are as many as 24 Batman feature-length movies (including development) - depending on how you count them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There have been 9 Star Wars movies, 10 if you count Rogue One, but there are 12 Fast and Furious movies. Riddle me that Batman!

They've got a long  way to go to  beat Beethoven  - His "Symphony" has 40 sequels!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

They'll never beat Beethoven  - His "Symphony" has 40 sequels!

You weren't talking about this sequel😉

This is classic Wikipedia understatement:

Although the film was not well received by film critics ...

There are (apparently) 70 movies based on Marvel Comics - 32 of them in the so-called "MCU" (Marvel Comic Universe) of recent feature films with a further 11 in development.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

You know what you have to do Bear.......

Dave

Bear has just checked the Laptop Reminders List and it seems I'm down to do the washing today - is that what you mean?

7 hours ago, figworthy said:

Lucky you.

Against my better judgement, I started to watch the first episode, and after about 20 minutes my codswallopometer (tm) had gone off the scale.

Adrian

Ah, but Episode 1 is in fact Episode 4 - and Episode 4 is Episode 1.....Confused?

Bear here.......

Up since 04:50am - a 4am wee wee call then subsequent bonce start up saw to that one.  TC's.

Well it seems that Bear is on Chinese Laundry Day today, at least according to Larry the Laptop that is.  Poo.

Moaning Myrtle the Met Office Forecaster has decreed that today is a rather good day to chuck it down over Bear Towers, so it's unlikely that any danglin' will be achieved either.  Poo.

Apart from that it'll be MIUABGAD - I STILL haven't done anything about revising/updating my Will, despite there being an increasingly nagging reminder on Larry the Laptop for "rather a long time" (that's code measured in years rather than months then).  Really ought to do something about that too.  Sometime soon.  Now then, who would appreciate the GSCR?

Bear Gone.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Only watched the first produced star wars, I've been in the room while others have been on, not watched any fast and furious nor Batman nor marvel films. Come to that didn't read batman nor marvel comics in the past.

I generally don't watch fiction films. Unfortunately non fiction films are often fiction especially from Hollywood.

Mooring Awl, 

5 hours sleep, short awake, 2.5 hours sleep a very good night's sleep I needed that.

Ben the sleeping Collie has of yet not moved from his pit, that won't last long.

Forecast, darn windy, 45mph later, only a small amount of rain later.

Ah Ben has woken up

Time to move.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Shop signage. 
IMG_0119.jpeg.c91c7e55034adf48b64c963039e48324.jpeg

Something didn’t seem quite right to me but I am happy to have an explanation . 

…Or that the company making up the shop signs took the order over the phone? And the person telling them what the signs should say had a lisp?

(Particularly the ‘way in’ part of the sign above the door on the right? )

….and before I get the trial by social media treatment and condemned to burn on the village green….I have got a very slight lisp!  Which does become slightly more pronounced after a few pints and much more pronounced after a trip to the dentist involving a jab. 

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My emphasis. Obviously you've never watched it.

Every single episode begins with

EDIT: Oops - already flagged by John - the problem with being 8 hours behind:

Who said it was science fiction? George Lucas has told everyone who bothered to listen that it is a mish mash of Flash Gordon / The Lone Ranger Saturday morning serials, Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with A Thousand Faces" and Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai".

It is precisely that and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

I see that you are wearing your Sergeant Pedant stripes again 🤣

• Yes, I have seen the films (viewing the prequels and sequels to the original trilogy with some reluctance - but gotta get the whole set)
  • Although the intro may say “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ...” The setting, for most viewers, (outer space, FTL, artificial gravity etc) is definitely futuristic.
  • I know it’s not proper science fiction (let alone proper “hard” science-fiction), but most of the media, the critics and most viewers peg it as “Science Fiction” along with other films like Plan 9 From Outer Space, Outland, Alien and Solaris.

George Lucas has said a lot of things about Stars Wars - at one point he was referring to it as being a homage to those WWI and WWII films featuring loads of aerial dog fights. If you want to be Cinéaste finickity, you could easily find bits and pieces “inspired by” (i.e. “nicked”j from a dozen or so films and Saturday Morning serials

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Look up and to the right, above the doors…

Did you do a search/translation? 
Apparently Enthirans is Tamil for robot/machine

That should make the whole thing clear.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Very wet out there it has obviously been raining,

Ben kept stopping out there and looking back saying come on hurry up. He's now asleep on SWMBO's chair.

I was being careful out there with my right ankle, the ground is softening up, and lots of mole tunnels are collapsing as I walk on them.

Plans for today,

The decreasing brownie point earning ones are,

Drilling out the pin on the hinges I bought, ready to reverse one plate. New bolts are on order. They just happen🙂 to be the same size as ordered for the raised bed extensions..

Marking up four base boards for interlocking to verticals in the style of  laser cut boards, can't mark up the verticals yet as I don't know how deep the legs mounted on hinges will be.

Brownie point earning work,

Moving soil and rocks for the bought raised beds , 

I  have by the way, found the last section metal work for the second improvised raised bed so some ground clearance could take place for that.

Some thought on the ground layout for that will be needed first.

• Like 14

11 hours ago, PupCam said:

Is it safe to admit this?   

I'VE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS!     (no, not any of them) 😆

And that's the way I like it, you can put it on my headstone if you wish.

11 hours ago, polybear said:

You're in good company - I believe a certain Mr. Wright hasn't either.

11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'm not sure I've seen a complete film. Bits of, certainly but it's never 'rocked my boat' enough to justify making the effort to sit down and watch from curtains up to end credits. I've no desperately strong opinions on the films, they are just not for me. 

Being very much a Cinéphile and Cinéaste in my 20s (I once toyed with the idea of going to UCLA to enrol in Director’s School [I forget the “proper” and official name of the degree course]) I was a regular cinema goer, not only viewing the latest Hollywood offerings, but also more (for the US [where I was living at the time]) “esoteric” films like Ostře sledované vlaky (Closely Watched Trains), La Nuit américaine (Day For Night) or Down By Law and so on.So of course I saw Star Wars when it first came out.

With Star Trek only being in reruns (the original series ended in 1969) and with the Star Trek films and Battlestar Galactica TV series being in the future, when Star Wars came out in 1977 it created a huge buzz and not only amongst the fanbois. I saw it the first weekend it was released and the cinema I saw it in. (I went with a friend) was absolutely jampacked. The audience reception was, to say the least, ecstatic. With Star Wars (and Star Trek) now being so much part of our universal cultural heritage, it is hard for people not of my age group to understand how revolutionary both the TV series (Star Trek) and the film (Star Wars) were when they first appeared in the 60s and 70s.

I take the point of certain films being “not for me“ (I am not a particular fan of horror films), but when you are a Cinéphile and you have this compulsion to watch anything that’s projected on the silver screen, you do end up seeing a lot of movies.  You soon realise that films follow a bell shaped curve

image.png.88c14419b8b5bb341a928b0b08c2f264.png

with most films being somewhere around the middle, with the tail end of the curve comprising amazing, both amazing and unforgettable films at one end and appallingly bad and ghastly films, the other.

Incidentally, it was during my Cinéphile period that I realised how totally wrong a lot of film critics can be. I saw the now legendary Blues Brothers film in a cinema in Richmond, Virginia where the audience was evenly split between blacks and whites; although some film critics referred to the Blues Brothers film, as being “condescending”, “racist”, “puerile” and “appropriating black culture” (although they used a different term back in 1980), The audience in that Richmond cinema were having none of that and just really, really “got into” the film.

Nowadays, as evidenced on Rotten Tomatoes, the gulf between professional critics and the audience is ever wider. A good example being the all-female remake of Ghostbusters (the audience hated it not because of the all female cast, but because the film -script, direction, acting- was atrocious)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, BoD said:

Did you do a search/translation? 
Apparently Enthirans is Tamil for robot/machine

That should make the whole thing clear.

Yes, I did but it wasn’t in Tamil script. Perhaps I will have to go in and ask. It used to be the Co-op but transformed a couple of years ago.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some blue sky with a bit of sunshine and it's dry now after a thunderstorm around midnight.  More heavy, possibly thundery showers forecast later this morning.  17°C now rising to 21°C.

A little bit of muddling done yesterday morning but then our visitors all turned up at the same time. A pleasant couple of hours spent chatting finishing up with a possible change to next year's cruise arrangements. They left before the rugby started so I was able to watch all the matches.  Great to see Fiji win, as for England, although they won it was painful to watch.

Today we may go for a walk and then once again I will try to finish building the pub.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bang goes his promotion prospects too!

After the bod ejected, why didn't the other pilot follow the plane down to confirm its impact point, it might have been close to population areas.   Unless he was close to the point of no return.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, six hours sleep in all with one trip to the bathroom. Had a long talk with my sister last night, my BiL is suffering from sciatica and to ease it he uses heated pads. I have found that heat eases the sciatica as well. More housework calls, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 16