RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Had a wander round the fields and found the knee a bit sore, I had keyhole surgery on it some 12 years ago and they said there's little Cartlidge left then, seems there's now a new procedure where they replace the Cartlidge rather than the whole knee if suitable, I might try and see if that is available up here yet.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Fell asleep in my chair just after lunch, only for twenty minutes but it set all the joints aching. I put a bit of rubble in the holes dug by the foxes to stop them digging them again. Now to sit down and watch Poirot.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Afternoon all,

One thing I was surprised at earlier, we have an ear of barley growing in the garden. In amongst the cornflowers, so presumably an errant seed. I wonder just how small a loaf one ear would make?

A couple of years ago I found an ear of wheat growing in my garden. How it got there I do not know, as far as I am aware there are no wheatfields nearby. I can only assume a grain of wheat must have been dropped by a bird.

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Afternoon All!

An early (for me ) chug to the Dunstable Gliding Club with some chums this morning on the AJ.   Solid food stuffs and liquid refreshments may have been consumed.   Afterwards said chums headed for "Sand and Motorcycles" an annual gathering of I bet you can't guess at the end of the once "Sand Railway" at Pages Park in Leighton Buzzard.  As the sky was very, very dark and I don't like getting wet and I have an even greater dislike of riding in the wet I decided to go straight home.   

En-route and a couple of miles from Puppers Towers I came across a chap whose rather nice Tele/Rigid Ariel 500 single had ceased to function.   I could tell this by the fact that he was kneeling beside it with a load of tools on the ground which is always a give away!   I stopped to lend a hand.   My most significant contribution was the provision of a plug spanner which revealed a suitably lively spark so that wasn't the problem.    

After a bit of fiddling with the carburettor "it sort of went", the culprit thought to be the "fresh" and full tank of fuel he had loaded just a few miles earlier as it had been running perfectly fine before.  He attempted to set off for home and just as we were leaving it stopped again.  He thanked me for my assistance but suggested I should set go as he might be some time ...   So I went.   On arrival I put the bike away, grabbed afresh can of petrol (originally destined for the lawn mower) and a large, empty Jerry Can  and returned to the spot in Monty the Mondog.    Thoughts being  to empty the potentially dodgy "new" fuel from his tank and replace it with other new fuel.    However, on my return he'd gone so I presume he managed to get it going after all!

Back at home some unspecified pottering has been undertaken which has resulted in the RD's brake calliper receiving a second coat of paint and a little more progress on the 08 hand controller software.

Good luck for the relocation to Distant Signal (West) tomorrow @Gwiwer and fingers crossed SWMBO's molar doesn't interfere with proceedings or indeed hurt too much!

@polybear have you been checking your Emails or have I also been consigned to the SPAM bin?

TTFN

Nice to see the old biker code still in action, well done sir

• Like 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

It seems our local council will only collect dead animals from the highway or Counci owned land and not private property.

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/w/roadkill-dead-animals?p_l_back_url=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddead%2Bfox%2Bin%2Bgarden

Now I wonder how people would get round that one?  🤔

I think our council will collect if you put the dead animal on the edge of your property and let them know. Bromley certainly do

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It doesn’t specifically use that term, but a quick perusal of the site throws up this sentence (in the description of IDDM (Type 1 Diabetes is the older term..) “Family history can increase your risk, as there are a number of genes linked to type 1 diabetes” see: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes/type-1/causes. Sounds like genetics to me!

Poppycock! The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is an executive non-departmental public body of the Department of Health and Social Care in England. NICE invites consultee and commentator organisations to take part in the appraisal. Although consultee organisation include patient groups, organisations representing health care professionals and the manufacturers of the product undergoing appraisal, that’s because the people that know the drug best are the people who developed it. Fees are paid for technology appraisals - which is no guarantee of approval. Many state-of-the-art treatments available in Europe and elsewhere have not been approved by NICE, so NHS patients can’t get those treatment. NICE has been criticised by patient groups and medical professional bodies for being both slow to appraise therapies (of all kinds) and focus more on the cost part than the benefit part of the cost/benefit ratio.

Why should NICE have anything to say about Metformin? It was approved for use long before NICE was even thought of.

Metformin is a very old drug - it was first identified in 1922 and has been used n patients since 1957. Metformin is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines

It is generally well tolerated, but is contraindicated in patients with severe renal impairment, known hypersensitivity to the drug and acute or chronic metabolic acidosis. Although it is well tolerated, with GI problems (nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea) being the most frequently noted adeverse events;  in rare cases - as the US NIH notes “Less commonly, some patients may experience chest discomfort, headache, diaphoresis, hypoglycemia, weakness, and rhinitis while taking metformin. Prolonged use of metformin has been associated with decreased vitamin B12 levels; therefore, healthcare professionals should carefully monitor patients, especially those with anemia or peripheral neuropathy” (see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK518983/). These adverse events are well known to Clinicians prescribing metformin. But, as always, prescribing medication (from the commonly used aspirin to state of the art cutting edge technology, anti-cancer drugs) is always a risk/benefit situation. And in most NIDDM patients, the risk of using Metformin is outweighed by the risk of not using Metformin.

With metformin being the first-line drug of choice, recommended by diverse organisation such as the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, do with a such a large number of patients being treated with the drug, it is inevitable serious adverse events will be seen quite frequently.

There are newer drugs, such as the gliflozines, that can offer a better risk/benefit ratio than Metformin in certain patients, but they cost more than Metformin. (we all know that the NHS likes cheap).

I have Type 2.. it is linked to genetics not just weight but Diabetes UK do push "Your are Type 2 Diabetic because your are very over weight".. and yes the Diabetic Team in the LUHT and the Marie Celeste are a bit p1ssed off by it.  The bits of Research I was involved in did raise questions about Metformin and what damage it does to kidneys, Muscles (particularly the heart). Questions on how long it is effective are also being asked .. but NICE aren't doing much to check it out (the BHF are..) It also seems to lose effectiveness with use....

As far as NICE goes look who they all work for or have worked for.. nuff said. 

In recent years whenever anyone has questioned its use the answer is... ITS CHEAP.. 

I have been involved in trials with various alternatives -- they are fine but MORE EXPENSIVE.. no doubt when the bean counters have to take them they may change their tunes.

I wonder if the money that the drugs industry provide to various medical people/institutions  is ever declared clearly.. and yes I do know a drugs rep who has explained how much they cough out...

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I wonder if the money that the drugs industry provide to various medical people/institutions  is ever declared clearly.. and yes I do know a drugs rep who has explained how much they cough out...

Fully and transparently (both the FDA and the EMEA are very strict about such things). Or would you prefer that everyone gave their time, skills and facilities for free?

Drug Reps? About as far away from the real decisions and decision makers in the Pharma Industry as an individual can be and still be in the same company.

The pharma industry has many faults (especially American ones) but without those “Big Bad Drug Companies”, people would be dying from conditions that - thanks to those rapacious and evil pharma companies - are now manageable and in some cases curable.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Is what's going on in the world now any better?

In some things yes, in others no. In general, things have not improved since the appearance of the pandemic in late 2019.

Though even then there were plenty of "trouble" spots. Eastern Ukraine, Crimea, Syria, Afghanistan, etc, etc, none of which have improved since then and some are of course are much worse.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Isn't it a public duty to run over cane toads?

😃 Yes it is. And they make a satisfying "pop" when you are successful. When plentiful, drivers attempt the cane toad slalom, the objective being to squash as many as possible - "pop", "pop", "pop", "pop", etc - you get the idea.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of the T2 DM research I have read is of the opinion that we're overweight because we're diabetic, not the other way around - those carbs we can't process properly.  Plus the 'don't blame fat for what sugar did' movement has a lot of.....weight followers now in the dietary world.  Not all fat is bad, but that's another discussion completely.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this evening except to eat dinner, Liver and bacon with mash. As soon as I've read the threads that interest me here I'm going to run a bath.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this evening except to eat dinner, Liver and bacon with mash. As soon as I've read the threads that interest me here I'm going to run a bath.

Tell us if you catch it!  🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

The bits of Research I was involved in did raise questions about Metformin and what damage it does to kidneys, Muscles (particularly the heart). Questions on how long it is effective are also being asked .. but NICE aren't doing much to check it out (the BHF are..) It also seems to lose effectiveness with use....

In recent years whenever anyone has questioned its use the answer is... ITS CHEAP.. 

ISTR mention of people being moved to different brands of Metformin in order to save money, only for side-effects to kick in.

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I am definitely going to myself if I fart and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Shareen. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my arse with a snow cone ice-cream. 

🤣

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11