The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

A damp and soggy one in these 'ere parts. The weather's a definite incitement to stay in and reduce the firewood pile. Best wishes to Neil. And fervent wishes to everyone that if you do feel like watching TV, you can find something better than Grand Designs. 

At the moment it's a case of hurry up and wait. Some things could be done - but could well tempt Fate and she's not well disposed to me right now. A few more old emails worked through. And some minor bits round the house. 

The forum seemed to be having some moody moments earlier, it didn't like me being on the last page at all, multiple jumps up and down and quite a few refusals to rate it. Not doing it now though. We have had some power cuts over the last few days, though I don't see how that might affect that side of the IT some hours later. The lightbulb exploding (sort of - more of a jump out of the socket) was more obvious, very artistic, with a shower of sparks. Not good for the nerves though, heart rate went up a bit. 

Time to treat myself and think about something less dramatic and more entertaining. Though on another channel, as I would prefer neither end of the awl to be applied to any of my various apertures... 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

I think that makes getting planning approval a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Is it because if they retain som of the old they don't pay VAT or something?

A and B. 

It makes getting planning permission easier in theory especially in conservation areas or with a listed building. And it can affect how much tax is payable. 

Dr SWMBO has been an avid follower of “The Kevin Show” for years. We sit as lounge-room judge and jury on the finished projects - or unfinished as some are.

We actually rather like a few of them and some of the “Revisited” shows have been of interest. We both think that the show has passed its best and might be better rested for now.  

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I used to like "The Kevin Show" but not so much now. At one time it was 50/50 new builds and restoration/repurposing old buildings but now it seems to be a showcase for trendy architects. I much prefer programs such as "Help I bought a village." (on Channel Four 5 pm Mon-Fri) of which I will be watching the latest episode later this afternoon. 

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Any time the presenter, Kevin McCloud, starts talking about “daring”, “innovative” and “ground breaking” you know, without looking, that it will be a glass, concrete and steel box with (usually) a flat roof and open plan everything . 

That sounds a bit like my reaction to a Chinese person waxing lyrical about 'mysterious' flavours, whenever I hear that word in relation to food in China my response is to run as it's probably something like cow bile. And I say that as a sinophile and lover of Chinese food and culture.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mor....oh.  Again.  It's a bit like hibernating, interspersed with coughing fits.  And gunge.

Like Gwiwer, we will be better off when we are both officially retired, an initial interim stage kicks in in the new year and the next a year come March.  That'll leave us with me retired officially with three pensions and Mrs NHN then part time with one - then another 5 years to wait for her to catch up with real retirement, when we will be relatively comfortable, but by then I'll be 72 and likely not keen on flitting about the place so much.  At this rate, at all!

A very dull showery 12c here today, now we have managed to look outside.  That'll be it for the day's excitement.

I'm certain the rest of your Old Gits/F&RTS - delete as appropriate riding club will be happy to strap you to your mechanised steed and lead you around the IoM- you know like Charlton Heston in El Cid at the end of the film Neil.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

This looks like a 1960 / 70s car park or some sort of ex military installation. 

Whereas the “Secret Nuclear Bunker” not far from here looks like a 1950s chalet bungalow.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm certain the rest of your Old Gits/F&RTS - delete as appropriate riding club will be happy to strap you to your mechanised steed and lead you around the IoM- you know like Charlton Heston in El Cid at the end of the film Neil.

The problem is I am always voted as leader, knowing my way around the rock a lot better than all but one other of the group. (He was a racer and goes too fast for them so they won't let him lead!).  They would mill around like brainless zombies.  Oh hang on.....🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Anyone  remember this one. It is a couple of miles up the road from us. We used to have to go past it ion a fairly regular basis but fortunately we don't anymore. It is horrible. 

image.png.883d41b382c533d833c38b839be54f8f.png

To me this is appalling. Putting it into perspective, this is in rural Sussex. The nearest village is Plumpton a mile or so away and the nearest towns either Lewes, Hayward Heath or Burgess Hill. 

But this is in the sticks. The surrounding properties are either tile hung with locally made hand made clay peg tiles etc, ship lap boarded or designed sympathetic to the history of the architecture of the area. 

This looks like a 1960 / 70s car park or some sort of ex military installation. 

WTF IS THAT??

There's a very important thing the owners of such cr@p overlook when building these things - just how hard will it be to find a buyer if they want to (or have to) move.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

... Will be a bit of an ouch on the wallet as the car’s had two new tyres and a glow plug. Has a couple a week or two ago and that was an ouch as well. Apparently this one was hard to get at. This bill is awaited. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/10/26/covid-and-other-respiratory-diseases-enquiry-in-scotland-and-data-anomalies-for-teaching-solved/

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Will be a bit of an ouch on the wallet as the car’s had two new tyres and a glow plug. Has a couple a week or two ago and that was an ouch as well. Apparently this one was hard to get at. This bill is awaited. ...

Scarper.  Works for this Bear.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, polybear said:

WTF IS THAT??

There's a very important thing the owners of such cr@p overlook when building these things - just how hard will it be to find a buyer if they want to (or have to) move.

Yeah and also how much that Cluster F*ck of a building has just devalued the neighbouring properties! 

But then don’t spose the ‘making a statement types’ give a flying fudge what the neighbourhood thinks anyway! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

After a couple of ER recommendations guess where we ended up shopping tonight. Yes, we visited the as recommended Lakeside Shopping Centre. We were returning from Enfield and the sat nav was very keen not to send us via the A127 even though yesterdays sinkhole had been filled. So as I am heading towards the A13 to head home , Aditi mentions that she would like to go to the Clarks shoe shop to try on some shoes. So we did, and she got exactly what she wanted. And then we came home. 

Edited by Tony_S
Wrong Road number!
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Weird I can see my last post has posted twice. But I didn’t do that. We had a microsecond sort of power glitch here a few minutes ago. 

Either that or my iPad has got computer senility and is beginning to repeat itself! 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Last heard of Monday stuck at Malaga airport according to his post in The Night Mail .

Look like he flew it home , but shows a lack of practice .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Look like he flew it home , but shows a lack of practice .

As the saying goes….

"A good landing's any landing you can walk away from; a great landing is one where they can reuse the plane."

• Like 2
  • Agree 10