The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl,

Yesterday, was very busy with MRC and museum.

It didn't start well with 3 cockwombles in the space of a mile, 

1 , large van stopped with 4 ft of bonnet sticking out into the road,

2, a tractor rather rapidly turned into the single track road I was on without looking, he had to hit the brakes hard, then had  reverse out to let me out.

3, a woman in a Mondeo pulled half out onto the main road without looking my way then looked my way, and had to rapidly reverse backwards.

Note to Puppers @PupCam:  don't go riding the Beeza/AyJay/AarDee to Norfolk.....

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Our bathroom is minimum size, a bath, a toilet, a sink and not much room to move between. Fitting a shower would be difficult for two reasons, it would require moving the toilet, difficult with the electrical distribution box below the bathroom. Then we have very low water pressure, a water tank would have to be installed in the loft, along with a high pressure pump. Even then you can't guarantee the tank would fill from the mains all the time.

Bear Towers has an L-shaped bathroom - bath (with shower at the deep end), loo and sink.  It's worked for this Bear for 56 years.  I also installed an upstairs loo where a big cupboard used to be; that project came out rather nicely and earnt serious brownie points with Momma Bear - it's also proved rather useful for A Certain Bear in later years as well....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

He will be insuring the car as well as forking out for it as his daughter is a student*. Add to that the fact that public transport is expensive and not always convenient or reliable. *She attends college at Springfield Chelmsford that requires two or three buses to get to from where she lives at South Benfleet.  Also student accommodation is hard to find and expensive.

He'll also be insuring it with diddly squat NCB - he might want to see what such an insurance policy will cost before he goes buying a car......I'm sure that extra lessons will prove to be much cheaper, more useful and safer.

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

More wind and rain, though not cold at 10 degrees, yesterday saw a confirmation that buying insurance is pretty much a waste of time as they never pay out. The storm removed some harling from the conservatory low wall, only around10-12 years old. Assessor turns up (all the way from Geordieland) who says " no chance", which I knew was coming anyway. "Oh and by the way, don't use the same bloke to replace it as he didn't put enough on". Not surprised by that either as he turned up on a horse wearing spurs and a stetson hat............(well not quite but you get my drift)............fricken tradesmen................... 

Did he give a reason for no payout?  It may well be worth referring it to the Insurance Ombudsman - you've nothing to lose and IIRC it doesn't cost anything to do.  The worst they can say is no; a "useful" report from a local builder would help.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

He'll also be insuring it with diddly squat NCB - he might want to see what such an insurance policy will cost before he goes buying a car......I'm sure that extra lessons will prove to be much cheaper, more useful and safer.

He's been on my insurance for about five years, some insurers take that into account. As with all types of insurance its best to shop around.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Those houses are in the £640,000 to £680,000 range, the most expensive in Basildon. My house (only less than 200 metres away) is valued at £300,000 to £325,000 but mine is a small two bedroom end terrace. As you say it would need some serious revision, for one I would separate the kitchen from the dining area and incorporate the latter into the lounge. Also the large entrance hall can be reduced to increase the lounge area.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/10234276/#/floorplans/1

Blimey thats about SFr 745,000.

This is what SFr 735,000 gets you in Kanton Kuh:

https://www.immoscout24.ch/de/d/einfamilienhaus-kaufen-st-niklaus-vs/7942020

Big difference!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but that area does not have the amenities or social cachet of Basildon, I'm sure.

You’re absolutely right.

It’s merely in an area known for prime cross-country skiing.

An interesting bit of Swiss Alpine trivia: all the very very expensive ski resorts which attract the Hooray Henrys, the nouveau riche and the occasional passing oligarch are for down-hill skiing.

According to Mrs ID, cross country skiing (or Langlauf) tends not to attract the flashy nouveau riche, Hooray Henrys and those idiots with more money than good taste; but rather Langlauf resorts attract the more serious, thoughtful, nature loving and mature cross country skiers. Not that there isn’t serious money about, it’s just very, very discreet and very, very low-key.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If I was to win the lottery this is the sort of house I would purchase.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/10234276/#/photos/1 

I would make some modifications, for example make the two small downstairs bedrooms one with the downstairs shower room becoming an ensuite. The upper floor can be adapted for visitors/carers/live in staff. Another big advantage is that it is less than 200 metres from my present house

Is that  seriously the garage on the left? Plus you've got to walk out in the English weather, lovely as it always is,  from the front door to your car?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

49 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

According to Mrs ID, cross country skiing (or Langlauf) tends not to attract the flashy nouveau riche, Hooray Henrys and those idiots with more money than good taste; but rather Langlauf resorts attract the more serious, thoughtful, nature loving and mature cross country skiers. Not that there isn’t serious money about, it’s just very, very discreet and very, very low-key.

And takes a lot more effort!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

The storm removed some harling from the conservatory low wall, only around10-12 years old.

What are they?

To me it sounds like some kind of birds or maybe a type of fish?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You’re absolutely right.

It’s merely in an area known for prime cross-country skiing.

An interesting bit of Swiss Alpine trivia: all the very very expensive ski resorts which attract the Hooray Henrys, the nouveau riche and the occasional passing oligarch are for down-hill skiing.

In the 1990s I knew of a guy who had the time and money to do masters' XC skiing (age-related) - I suspect he worked as a contractor - and who did some of the World Loppet. He reckoned Davos was a good place to go for early-season training

To us Brits, Davos is usually associated with expensive alpine skiing, but there is proper stuff as well (and trains ;-)

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Hroth said:

You go all the way to the bottom, take arty (fuzzy) shots of the water at the bottom, then you have to claw your way back to the top....

But it is very pretty!

pinmill.jpg.40a5882d36abe6ed562ab68c72cc8a0e.jpg

Couldn't find my fuzzy water snaps, but the Pin Mill is nice!

Lovely photo, Hroth.

Our son took photos of me with our two GDs in the centre archway. Waiting for copies of them! 😉

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

It has evil thorns on it worse than rose ones, they will pierce your thong - not to mention your flip flop!

What are you attempting to do with your Bougainvillea?

No, on second thoughts, don't tell us; I don't think I want to know.

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Blimey thats about SFr 745,000.

This is what SFr 735,000 gets you in Kanton Kuh:

https://www.immoscout24.ch/de/d/einfamilienhaus-kaufen-st-niklaus-vs/7942020

Big difference!

Its being within commuting distance of London that has forced prices up in recent years. My property has doubled in value over the last ten years. And property values in this area are not going down despite the rise in interest rates. As a result of still rising house prices in London and with the pandemic more people are WFH the 'Outer ring', outside of the M25 has become more popular.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

What are they?

To me it sounds like some kind of birds or maybe a type of fish?

'Harling' is a type of wall coating. Crudely, a sort of cross between render and pebble dashing. IIRC, you have to use lime mortar, cement stuff can be very stiff, doesn't 'breathe' and lumps can break off if you just give it a dirty look, which I'd speculate could be one reason why TB's having trouble? I've used lime mortar a bit when building garden walls and I prefer it to 'normal' mortar but it is harder to handle/use. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

ON the recent theme of ugly houses. This one is probably up there, but at least no one else can see it.

Go on - who here  would not be tempted to  take it, if only for the giant inflatable flamingo  and the "evil genius hideaway" vibe it gives off,  though granted,  its not in Basildon. 

If I bought it I'd invite @polybearthere and although he'd approve of the cat 5 cyclone rating he'd probably be concerned about the  potential for  salties  in the moat.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-cape+tribulation-142937808

Or just watch the video!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It's the Basildon exhibition today but I've decided not to go as I have too much to do around the house as well as shopping for the weekend.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

ON the recent theme of ugly houses. This one is probably up there, but at least no one else can see it.

Go on - who here  would not be tempted to  take it, if only for the giant inflatable flamingo  and the "evil genius hideaway" vibe it gives off. though granted,  its not in Basildon. 

If I bought it I'd invite @polybearthere and although he'd approve of the cat 5 cyclone rating he'd probably be concerned about the  salties.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-cape+tribulation-142937808

Or just watch the video!

Where's Luke Skywalker?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What are you attempting to do with your Bougainvillea?

No, on second thoughts, don't tell us; I don't think I want to know.

The canes dry and break off and they lie on the ground like an evil man trap waiting for you to step on it, they'll easily  peirce half an inch of Aussie bindii*-grade rubber  thong,  no worries!

image.png.2581dca2e57265ec504a2ed75713c063.png

*look it up  yourselves, its midnight and I'm not doing your homework for yous!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its being within commuting distance of London that has forced prices up in recent years. My property has doubled in value over the last ten years. And property values in this area are not going down despite the rise in interest rates. As a result of still rising house prices in London and with the pandemic more people are WFH the 'Outer ring', outside of the M25 has become more popular.

It was much the same when I had a rented flat in the Laindon area of Basildon in the 1970s.  I realised that I might never be able to buy anywhere on my teacher's salary in the area, hence my decision to move north, ending very happily in Northumberland where house prices are much lower in most of the county.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4