The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The council put up Christmas street lights at the end of this week.  I didn't realise* we were so close to Christmas!

* Apart from the mincepies, etc in Aldi, which currently have sell-bys in late November....

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. And a very wet and dismal afternoon it is. At least all the rain will soften the ground enough to make it easier to lay a few slabs to give access to the shed without walking on the grass. Now for a hot drink, be back later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

I'd completely forgotten about the clocks - normally I notice something in the newspaper, but I guess I'm reading much less of it with the current state of the world.

Up to around 2-ish playing down the rabbit hole of fonts (so, not late), looked at my librelink app to check  the blood sugar reading, noticed an odd blue clock logo on the history. Changed the times on the oven and the lounge clock, still got to do the heating/water timer - but if the on/off tmes were adequate yesterday then it'll be ok today. Also got to do the car clock - normally takes me several goes to get to the right place in the options and to then adjust the time rather than  move to the next option.

For those who keep regular hours, I think Simone Lia's cartoon in today's observer probably summed it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/ng-interactive/2023/oct/29/simone-lia-light-cartoon

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

There's one clock in the house that I don't bother with, its kept on GMT. The reason is that to set it back one hour you have to go forward twenty three hours. Also the buttons to do so are a bit sensitive and its very easy to 'overshoot' and have to go round the twenty three hours again.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2023 at 15:12, DaveF said:

It was much the same when I had a rented flat in the Laindon area of Basildon in the 1970s.  I realised that I might never be able to buy anywhere on my teacher's salary in the area, hence my decision to move north, ending very happily in Northumberland where house prices are much lower in most of the county.

Similar story, here. Titchy maisonette in West Ealing 4 times the price we paid for a two up two down with lean-to extension in our off the beaten track village, teacher's starting salary then being about £1100pa plus London waiting of about £200 maybe. Not forgetting, only half a woman's salary being taken into consideration back then. The lean-to was eventually demolished and a two story extension added. As things turn out, some of the kids moved back across the border - all work related! 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1