Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Time heals and people forget (including things they shouldn't).

If you look at contemporary viewpoints (like movies of the time) the "war in the Far East/Pacific" was very much front and center in contemporary American consciousness.

Here's a non-exhaustive list:

1943: Guadalcanal Diary

1944: The Battle of China (directed by Frank Capra in the "Why We Fight" propaganda series)

1944: The Keys of the Kingdom (from a 1941 book) - about missionaries in China (during Imperial/Republican pre-war conflict in China*)

1944: Fighting Seabees (John Wayne)

1944: Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

1945: Objective Burma! (Errol Flynn)

1945: Pride of the Marines (about a marine blinded at Guadalcanal - has nice footage of a Pennsy GG1)

1946: It's a Wonderful Life**

* Included in the list because the film echoes the 1937 Nanjing massacre without being about Nanjing.   

** Harry Bailey's "medal of honor" was for saving a troop ship from a kamikaze attack

And later:

1957: Bridge over the River Kwai

1958: Inn of the Sixth Happiness (Ingrid Bergman) - missionaries in China

1958: South Pacific

1963: PT-109

1964: Father Goose

Long before more 'modern' views like "Empire of the Sun" (1987)

This is a random sample (mostly) from the top of my head. You can see how the focus changes over time.

The shock felt at Pearl Harbor and the casualty rates in places like Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa were seared on the consciousness of Americans at the time. It wasn't considered a 'sideshow' on this side of the pond contemporaneously.

In the political space, consider the Stimson Doctrine. Despite the common assessment of the US as "isolationist"/Munroe Doctrine, US policy makers were very aware of Japanese expansionism and this would result in Carl Vinson's "two ocean navy".

It was a big thing here too obviously, other than the disastrous start to the war where Australian troops managed to be in all the wrong places like Crete and Greece and North Africa our entire war was pretty much on our doorstep. Its a little known fact that  Northern Australia got bombed from February 1942 through until November 1943. Although the attacks concentrated on Darwin there were also raids on Wyndham, Port Hedland and Derby in Western Australia,  Katherine in the Northern Territory, Townsville and Mossman in Queensland, and Horn Island in the Torres Strait.

There was also a midget submarine attack inside Sydney Harbour that panicked the locals, especially the posh ones with harbourside properties, many relocated to the Blue Mountains for the duration.

I remember growing up in the late 60's and early to mid-70's when  animosity towards the Japanese was still strong, especially among those of the generation who lived through the war, (although pre-war policies and attitudes towards Japan and other Asian countries had been fairly racist to begin with.)  I recall some bloke at Ford getting into a bit of strife at one point for alluding to people who bought Japanese cars as letting the side down a bit. Certainly Japanese were unwelcome in RSL clubs (returned services mens persons clubs) in the more regional areas. 

I cannot reel off any Australian movies off the top of my head (maybe "A town like Alice?") but I remember the TV series "Spyforce" with Jack Thompson was big in the early '70's. It featured much derring-do by Australian agents against the "J@ps",  but did outline the role that Australian special forces did to aid the war effort and point out that the Pacific War was more than just the US marines and navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvDTdksw5k&ab_channel=RomeoAlfa

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I do understand where you're coming from.  Mine is all to go to a nephew who is interested, but there's stuff up there in Truss-land that really is junk now - things like a black 9F that is Triang-Hornby repainted from Evening Rat when I was about 16, and so on - moulded handrails, chunky wheels, crepe weathering and all - but can I dump it? No.....and there's heaps of it. 

Put it on E-bay in any old box (that will double its worth) at a price at least five times what it is worth and it will make a guest appearance on the 'E-bay madness' thread here on RMweb.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Put it on E-bay in any old box (that will double its worth) at a price at least five times what it is worth and it will make a guest appearance on the 'E-bay madness' thread here on RMweb.

And if its in a correct box, the skys the limit. Especially if you can vaguely claim that the box is in "good" condition.  Even empty boxes will make a mint!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Despite it being dark now the temperature continues to rise, the temperature is now 8C up from 6C earlier. Not much else to report, now to tackle Farcebook after I've seen the rest of RMweb.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I remember growing up in the late 60's and early to mid-70's and even then animosity towards the Japanese was still strong, especially among those of the generation who lived through the war,

No surprises there - it was only 25 -30 years; I know of at least one Bear that still holds a grudge against several people from the best part of fifty years ago....🤬

Now if any fellow ER'ers know how to make Voodoo Dolls.....🤣

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And if its in a correct box, the skys the limit. Especially if you can vaguely claim that the box is in "good" condition.  Even empty boxes will make a mint!

Bear has sold empty boxes** on the 'bay - twice, in fact.

(**Both were from Corgi Lynx Diecast Models).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

(a)  Absolutely - show a Portescap, a set of Markits Wheels, a box full of unbuilt D&S Kits or a DJH Beyer Garratt Kit** to someone that doesn't know and they wouldn't have a scoobie of their worth.

(b)  Bear has had similar thoughts....

**I haven't got one of those

I'll have the Portescap.

Dave 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The 9F IS in it's original box as it happens, I didn't often keep the boxes but for some reason that one survives.

Talking of e bay though, I did find a pile of unmade, original Airfix Presflows and Prestwins...hmmm.....

Just been looking at the E-bay madness thread, apparently putting a face on it as in Thomas the tank engine will increase the value considerably. And don't forget to put L@@K somewhere in the description.😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just been looking at the E-bay madness thread, apparently putting a face on it as in Thomas the tank engine will increase the value considerably. And don't forget to put L@@K somewhere in the description.😁

Remember, for the maximum effect, it has to be

L@@K RARE!!!!

Also KITBUILT!!! must be used to describe a stock RTR item...

Edited by Hroth
Forgot "kitbuilt"...
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

The two bits of advice I'd offer to anyone thinking of leaving a legacy to an organization are:

-Go with a local charity or worthy cause you are familiar with, one for which you know donations are used to good effect and not just helping pay for central London headquarters, marketing, chuggers and bloated programs etc, local hospices are often a good choice; and

-Define the donation either as £XX or list specific items, as some charities are notoriously aggressive if you define it as X% of the total and basically try and shaft everyone else.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

If you are a member of a society, they may help with disposal of modelling assets.  It is important however to check first, since the work involved is considerable and some societies just do not have the resources.  They may well ask for a cut in the revenue generated and this should be specified in your will.  Some societies will handle the estate of members but only as donations - so taking 100% of the value but at least you know the models will have gone to those who appreciate them. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

The ongoing discussion of the War In The Pacific is a fascinating one. like the equally brutal and savage war in Europe, the War In The Pacific had a very large racist aspect - but this time the perpetrators were the allies and not the Axis. And like the anti-semitism of the Nazi (and allied) regime, this racism emerged from existing pre-war social attitudes.

I think that a considerable part of the shock and horror experienced by the Allies after the Japanese attacks in 1941 was down to the fact that the Japanese - who were frequently dismissed as primitive “little yellow men” who could only copy and not innovate - proved to be a resourceful, clever and militarily innovative foe.

What is equally fascinating is how two sophisticated and cultured societies descended so rapidly into a Nietzschean abyss of genocidal total war. Perhaps the only explanation that makes sense is that financial disaster (the Weimar Republic’s hyperinflation, the 1929 stock market crash, the curtailing of Japan’s access to raw materials) pushes both nations and their peoples (en-masse, not individually) to a Nietzchean & Darwinian solution based upon the amplification of existing prejudices and resentments.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11