RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

No, Oz, it isn’t “nonsense”

Flavio, I completely agree with your post and the consequences of economic and political* fragility in the first third of the 20th century.

* Interchangeable.

I see many parallels today.

I had highlighted the wrong paragraph of your original post with my 'nonsense' comment** and I completely agree with your cogent reply. 

** Except for the "Darwinian" bit. Nothing in the conflict was "Darwinian" and I wish people would stop conflating biological evolution with the tribalistic behaviours of societies - so called "social Darwinism". They are not the same. I would be happy for that to be called "Herbert Spencerism" (or similar) if it needs a biographical name.

Herbert Spencer created the "survival of the fittest" expression.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added the Darwinian bit.
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Drove over to Salisbury; very foggy but quite a few drivers don't seem put their lights on at all, never mind the rear fog lamp.

Ah, I can remember years ago (perhaps nearly 30 years) when I first had a rear fog light (I guess probably only one at that time) - it was easy to turn on, with a nicely visible light as a reminder. Possibly it wasn't linked to sidelights at that time, not sure. But over the years the interlinking has got worse - on my current (2011) car fog lights require you to be using sidelights, no chance to put just the rear on when in heavy spray that needs wipers on full and where sidelights are useless.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I'll settle for glazed ham, besides, this year we're on our own for Christmas so can do as we ("I") please 🤣

That'll be ham, egg n' chips** then.....

Oh, and some bread n' butter would set it off right nice too - and also offers the possibility of a chip sarnie)

(**with beans for those who appreciate the finer things in life....)

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went out to the car after lunch to find the windscreen all iced up. So it was out with the scraper to clear the screen. Once the screen was clear I got into the car to turn the demister on only to find it wasn't misted up but ice on the inside! By the time I'd sorted that it was getting dark and a bit too late to sort out the rollators so they will have to be dealt with later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 18

5 hours ago, polybear said:

If a Certain Bear were ever to discover a giant crack across the newly tiled kitchen floor at Bear Towers then I'm pretty sure that would invoke deep thought - none of which would be good, however...

HMG have been known for being rather fussy when it comes to accepting documents - usually as a means to delay paying stage payments....

You need a shed....have a word with WB......

WB importers & exporters here.

We are very grateful for your enquiry. Unfortunately all of our operators are busy at the moment and your call is important to us.

You are 1,589 on the list.

Have you thought of going online? Our website WB.com has all of our products and if you have any questions we have a comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions section.

Yours

WB enterprises.

Please note do not reply to this as it will not be responded to.

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

My car wasn’t available for defrosting as it is still in Chelmsford being serviced. The “health check” confirmed the front brake pad wear but also noticed more wear on the rear disc pad and one disc. Parts ordered, may get it tomorrow, but I said if it was late in the day, we would go on Friday. We can manage perfectly well with the Fiesta, we are not planning any long trips for a while. This will be the first time I have had to spend anything that wasn’t covered by the 5 year service plan or warranty . 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 19

35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went out to the car after lunch to find the windscreen all iced up. So it was out with the scraper to clear the screen. Once the screen was clear I got into the car to turn the demister on only to find it wasn't misted up but ice on the inside!By the time I'd sorted that it was getting dark and a bit too late to sort out the rollators so they will have to be dealt with later.

Shoulda just done my trick of throwing hot water over the windscreen a couple of times,  then again don't moan at me if it cracks, I'll only say... "should've got an old land rover mate.." 😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Most people probably just put their headlights on "Auto" when they first pick the car up from the dealers <snip>

What is this "Auto" of which you speak?  🤣

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

This will be the first time I have had to spend anything that wasn’t covered by the 5 year service plan or warranty .

..... but how much did they cost* and how much use did you get out of them?   🤔  

* You don't get owt for nowt after all

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PupCam said:

What is this "Auto" of which you speak?  🤣

..... but how much did they cost* and how much use did you get out of them?   🤔  

* You don't get owt for nowt after all

In Bear's experience they are remarkably good at making all those things that are most likely to generate a claim under warranty exempt in the T's & C's; wear n' tear I can understand, but.....

Bear once had a run-in with a Rover Garage when Ricky was still under warranty; they'd decided that the front discs were bvggered ("don't worry, Mr Bear - the warranty pays for them") but cos' they'd warped then "new pads will be required as well" ....."and as they're classed as normal wear items then Mr Bear will have to pay for those...."

I argued (and some...) that the only reason the pads needed replacing was because the discs had warped - so in effect they'd become collateral damage.  They offered a discount (which was still cr@p cos' genuine Rover parts prices were just silly) but refused to fit pattern parts.  In the end "their Garage Manager has inspected the pads and decided they're ok to refit....."

Ricky actually got thru' several front discs; as soon as I changed to using pattern discs I never had another problem.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

In Bear's experience they are remarkably good at making all those things that are most likely to generate a claim under warranty exempt in the T's & C's; wear n' tear I can understand, but.....

Bear once had a run-in with a Rover Garage when Ricky was still under warranty; they'd decided that the front discs were bvggered ("don't worry, Mr Bear - the warranty pays for them") but cos' they'd warped then "new pads will be required as well" ....."and as they're classed as normal wear items then Mr Bear will have to pay for those...."

I argued (and some...) that the only reason the pads needed replacing was because the discs had warped - so in effect they'd become collateral damage.  They offered a discount (which was still cr@p cos' genuine Rover parts prices were just silly) but refused to fit pattern parts.  In the end "their Garage Manager has inspected the pads and decided they're ok to refit....."

Ricky actually got thru' several front discs; as soon as I changed to using pattern discs I never had another problem.

Many years ago I had a Rover 820 and one of the valves went.  £200 to strip it Dow, £200 for new valves and £200 to put it back together.  It had 33000 on the clock and the warranty company said it was fair wear and tear.  I rang the AA technical people and they told me this was a common fault and that Rover had been aware for some time.  I think I ended up paying about £100 modelling g tokens in the end. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, PupCam said:

but how much did they cost* and how much use did you get out of them?   🤔  

I bought the car when it was six months old. On the list of all the features on the car there was nothing about the 5 year service plan. So when I tried to transfer the money I had in my previous cars plan I couldn’t as it already had a plan purchased when it was a new car. So,I got 5 years servicing I wasn’t expecting. The car had a three year from purchase warranty. So I have since then purchased two years of extended warranty. This didn’t cover brake pads so I have to pay for those. The extended warranty isn’t that expensive compared to almost anything on the car, we don’t have any cover on the Ford. We don’t use it on longer journeys or abroad and its service costs have been very reasonable anyway. 
With previous cars, I had to do repairs myself where possible and kept them running whatever the weather. I can’t do that now, partly because of health issues and because the Evoque doesn’t really lend itself to DiY solutions. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

I'm not a fan of Kia's (although the Stinger GT  is tempting...)  but they seem to be the one maker that is prepared to back up its quality and reliability claims with its warranty. 7 years, unlimited km's, free roadside service for 8 years and capped service costs for the life of the warranty.

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It had 33000 on the clock and the warranty company said it was fair wear and tear.  I rang the AA technical people and they told me this was a common fault and that Rover had been aware for some time.  I think I ended up paying about £100 modelling g tokens in the end. 

When our first bought-new car (the car we have now is only the second like that) was nearing the end of the warranty, I got the BCAA (our AA/RAC equivalent) to do a full check of it, then gave the list of problems they found to the dealer. I think they refused only one as “fair wear and tear”.

I’m not sure they would have been as agreeable without the BCAA.

Edited by pH
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm not a fan of Kia's (although the Stinger GT  is tempting...)  but they seem to be the one maker that is prepared to back up its quality and reliability claims with its warranty. 7 years, unlimited km's, free roadside service for 8 years and capped service costs for the life of the warranty.

But they are so reliable that they can afford to give such a warranty. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

... The lawn, as previously reported, went to crunch to squelch. This morning it was a weird kind of cruelch, started off as a crunch but ended up as a squelch with brown highlights ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2023/12/06/sounds-of-the-season-2023-04-covid-and-for-some-reason-his-memory-is-equally-unreliable/

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was perusing some mobility aids earlier this evening but everything I wanted was out of stock. Just now I got an e-mail from the mobility company "We see you were looking at our products do you wish to carry on?" Obviously an automatically generated message so its a waste of time answering it. 

• Friendly/supportive 14