Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

32 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Work it out as a percentage of total EV cars on the road compared to total petrol cars and get back to me.

I've not done the maths. All stored energy is dangerous. There are real problems with fighting battery fires related to EVs using conventional approaches (meaning dumping water on the fire).

Having said that I've witnessed a number of internal-combustion car fires in car-parks - at least two relatively closely*. It's amazing how quickly the whole car burns.

* Not too close!

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Glad the antipodes has finally caught up with global trends in recreational opportunities for youngsters.

Yeah, I'm not sure whats happened here, we haven't needed these  because  every kid had a thing called "A friend with a pool" if they didn't have one themselves. 

And of course every town had the municipal pool where the minute you turned 4 you'd be dragged off to where the local swimming coach, some grizzled old bloke with skin like a Chesterfield sofa, would whip you and the 20 or so other kiddies in your class into shape, transforming you from sinking stones to bobbing corks. Then once armed with your Certificate Of  Merit that said you could swim 15 metres you'd be allowed into the Big Pool, no need for splashy water parks.

Somethings happened,  whatever it is  its Un-Australian.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Once you start using hybrids for pure long distance non urban driving, you actually use more fuel, because you are carting round batteries that are doing nothing, as the ice engine does all the work once the batteries are discharged.

For most users, the majority of journeys are local, so while economy may be compromised on longer trips, it can be offset by many shorter trips.

The actual usage pattern is important. Sometimes EVs or hybrids are better, sometimes not.

EVs might be impractical (today) for a household with only one vehicle, though the option to rent for infrequent long trips is there.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

53 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

've not done the maths. All stored energy is dangerous. There are real problems with fighting battery fires related to EVs using conventional approaches (meaning dumping water on the fire).

Having said that I've witnessed a number of internal-combustion car fires in car-parks - at least two relatively closely*. It's amazing how quickly the whole car burns.

At least honest petrol cars are either on fire or they aren't. 

The issue with EV's (like in the second part of the link I posted) is that they act like they aren't on fire so you put them in a car park and night falls and they burst into flames and incinerate a heap of innocent normal cars. It  shows extreme deviousness. 

Hmmm, its just hit me, who is capable of that underhanded slyness? Those *#%$%$&#*  Psychopathic horses!

Its so simple when you put the work in and  think about it, horses were annoyed because they got replaced by cars so they are fighting back by inventing EV cars that are actually Trojan Horses intended to be placed among normal cars, then when night falls they slay them all.

In fact, it was  probably this horse!

image.png.f2f0293f3766d77d2498934a36db211b.png

Look at him! Who designed his disguise? Captain Cynical?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The issue with EV's (like in the second part of the link I posted) is that they act like they aren't on fire so you put them in a car park and night falls and they burst into flames and incinerate a heap of innocent normal cars. It  shows extreme deviousness. 

I'd suggest that's a distinction without a difference. I don't know what caused the petrol car fires I saw to ignite - they were parked in car parks just like the cars around them and seemed to spontaneously combust*. They didn't explode. Everything just burned - really hot with lots of black (probably toxic) smoke and scorched nearby cars. They burned too fast for the firefighters (who arrived quickly) to make a difference. Left a black charred mess - not even a green globule**.

* Probably didn't but I don't know what started them.

** Per the link.

The difference with EV fires is that the batteries keep burning until the contents are consumed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes. The local supermarket has been selling 'local' apples for at least a year after they were picked. I keep looking for fresh ones from this season but everything I've seen is quite evidently 'stored' (cold, but not freezing in Nitrogen* as I understand it). 

* (Haven't looked it up.)

It's not hard to tell the difference when freshly picked apples are available.

And yet you live not too far from the self proclaimed App, e Capital of the World,namely Wenatchee. 

Of course they were. This is the dark side of humanity and how easily otherwise 'good' people are susceptible to the need for belonging.

"Gott mit uns"*

* Embossed on Wehrmacht belt buckles and other accoutrements.

Never again.

I believe that British Policemen were involved in identifying the Jewish residents of the Channel Islands. Some of whom were deported to their deaths. I think that I read somewhere that they had the letter J somewhere on their ID card record at Police HQ. 

Two car families can easily have an EV for urban commuting and a hybrid for long distance driving (when if needed). 

I can count on one hand the number of journeys I have taken that were longer than 150 miles (250 km) on my 20-year-old V6, fuel-injected, petrol-powered motor car.

We have 2 diesel cars and have no desire to change.  Local trips for us are between 20 and 44 mile round trips to Supermarkets etc. 80 for hospitals.  Plus 3 or 4 long trips per year for UK visits and holidays in France.  In a small relatively isolated village air quality is superb.  The Volvo has a range of over 800 miles so once I fill up Tuesday morning I will be able to drive the 650 plus miles to no 1 sons via Rotterdam, without having to worry about fuel or range.  We have no plans to change.  A 19 year old fully depreciated vehicle that can cruise at 70 whilst doing 48 mpg on the motorway probably had a lower overall carbon footprint than many newer supposedly greener vehicles. It just suits our circumstances.   If we lived in a large city with all services nearby plus public transport thi gs would be different 

• Like 15
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  A good meal out at a Chinese buffet with friends was enjoyed last night.  Emily and her Mums to talk to soon.  A Coq au vin is in the slow cooker for this evening. Various jobs to do today. 

Ttfn. 

Jamie

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Southbank" in Brisbane built a very nice artificial beach with a fabulous city skyline view decades ago. The area - once an industrial area with a steam-powered branch line was razed for Expo-88 then redeveloped as a recreation area. It was nicely done.

Definitely preferable to risking  the Bull Sharks in the river!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

'tis a very grey start to the day but it's not raining.  Very mild at 10°C, might even reach 12°C.

I've already been told "it'stimetogettamoveon."  The Boss has shifted into top gear and is now in full on Christmas Day planning mode.  This will no doubt culminate in lists* of "things to do" in the next few days being produced to ensure that the day goes smoothly and without a hitch.  We have just added another 2 to our guest list (now up to 10) as sister in law and niece were going to spend the day on their own but The Boss has decreed otherwise.  However they were delighted to receive the instruction invitation.  😁  To be fair to The Boss her organisational skills for something like this are second to none.

*These lists have been in the making for a while and are held by Herself in a GDB interfering proof location. 🤪

Here we go again...Ibettagettamoveonbeforesheexplodes.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I know fire suppression onboard vehicle carriers is a huge concern in the vehicle carrier segment of shipping. Put aside some of the media scare stories, I work very closely with some of the big vehicle carrier operators (them and the big container lines pay my salary) and fire safety in the event of an EV  fire actually is a major worry for them.

That said, petrol and diesel are hardly harmless. Aside from the fire risks they're really rather nasty in exposure terms and with contact. Providing technical support to maritime administrations was part of my job for a few years, it was a sideline consulting service my employer offered but quite lucrative for them. I would estimate over 90% of the cases sent to me were engine room oil fires, it's not a nice way to go. I don't suppose many ways of dying are nice but being barbecued always strikes me as especially undesirable. 

Something several friends have commented on is that after switching to EVs they rarely clean their wheels anymore as there's virtually no accumulation of brake dust.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

Regarding EV vehicles: I don't know what the perception is in the UK, but 'round our neck of the woods Tesla Drivers have pretty much replaced BMW and AUDI drivers as, how can I put it diplomatically, "people's least well-regarded drivers".

The burning question, I think, is whether or not the (ahem) esteemed Tesla driver will migrate back to BMW or AUDI now that both those companies have started making EVs.

It could be (ahem) "interesting"!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

Age and a prescription diuretic usually causes Bladder Control to specify a “Caledonian Railway 439 class” night. However, a couple of beers close to bedtime can easily give rise to an “LMS Compound” night.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright, sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. We currently have blue skies and a temperature that is in double figures, 10C, so quite a pleasant day. We will shortly be setting off to collect Vickie, Evie and Max, who is taking Ava’s place, as she isn’t feeling too good. We will then head off for a cuppa and a slice at a local café and a chat with the owner, who is a friend of ours and a very talented artist, it’s one of her prints that I’ve recently framed and hung on the wall. There are no firm plans for the rest of the day, but as Ava is staying at home, it won’t be the usual Saturday afternoon. 

Back later 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Tesla Drivers have pretty much replaced BMW and AUDI drivers as, how can I put it diplomatically, "people's least well-regarded drivers".

There’s just something about that price bracket and market segment isn’t there?

I’ll get an EV when my current car is life expired. As long as it has a 3+ hour range, I’ll be fine as I no longer want to spend more that that long in a car without a break. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium