Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

As the solstice is due to happen* in less than half an hour, I need to find out what the celebration procedures are.  

* happen? when it just stands still? 

• Like 15

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Another thing politicians and the media are terrible for is creating an idea that many people are stupid.

"People" are however easily manipulated. But yes, individuals are much the same everywhere and usually nice to each other in person.

I do like this observation from "Men in Black" when K is trying to recruit J.

K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Today was quite foggy. No hoolies here. Or haboobs or zephyrs, mistrals, tramontanas, siroccos, willy willys, Alberta Clippers, or pineapple expresses, or the East Wind (which in Minas Tirith they endure but do not ask for tidings).

The fog got progressively worse all day - quite the opposite of what usually happens. Tomorrow some rain is forecast early so that should send it packing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"People" are however easily manipulated. But yes, individuals are much the same everywhere and usually nice to each other in person.

I do like this observation from "Men in Black" when K is trying to recruit J.

People often have a Jeckyl & Hyde tendency between who they are as individuals and when in a group. I think it's actually quite unusual for individuals to do bad things (I mean violence, spew proper hate as opposed to ill advised comments, hurt others etc), but it seems very easy to get us all to do bad things as part of a group.

I know I've mentioned this before but as a general comment I find Indonesian people very hospitable and nice people. Yes, there are obnoxious examples but Indonesian society (like many Islamic societies) places great importance on being hospitable and at the risk of pushing just another stereotype and tired tropes I find they tend to be laid back and very polite. However what happened in the genocide of the mid 60's when Suharto took power was horrible, and in the 1990's economic crisis there were rampaging mobs looking for ethnic Chinese people to butcher. Something which seems bonkers but which seems to be characteristic of many such events (though not all, it appears things were different in Cambodia and Rwanda) is that people would protect their neighbours and friends whilst happily baying for the blook of other peoples friends and neighbours. Under normal circumstances Indonesia splits on ethnic lines at a group level with some rather nasty group think but individual Indonesian's and ethnic Chinese generally have no issue being friends and existing together. Again, quite typical.

Another example was again the time I had dinner in the home of a family of Osama Bin Laden fans, I've shared this before but it was family friends of my wife's family, all I could see was a huge framed photograph of OBL on the wall. I suspect their opinions of Britain and British people was rather negative but they were very welcoming and good hosts, and the rendang was excellent. Mrs JJB was kicking me under the table to tell me not to mention it.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

44 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have been tracking our turkey delivery, from despatch yesterday from the farm in Danbury (near Chelmsford), it arrived in Basildon early this morning and is now on a FedEx.van and due to arrive between 8.40 and 12.40.

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Update. The turkey has  arrived , a few minutes early!

At least you did better than Charles Dickens and the GWR!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/charles-dickens-lost-his-last-christmas-turkey-freak-fire-180973825/

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Long awake, couldn't get to sleep, 6 hours near solid sleep, short awake, 2 hours solid sleep.

Ben the generous Collie let me sleep in.

We've been on patrol, still windy but the gale went out to sea while I initially couldn't get to sleep, it still sounds noisier to the east than the west.

It is of course dull grey and uninviting outside.

During the awake , it popped into my head, that the motive power, for the unit of unmentionables upstairs is very small, but kermit on the direction change thingy is large there may be a problem.

Investigations later. By which time a parcel of bits of metal should arrive, it's currently at the local post office.

Other plans for today,

Empty the car of stuff bought yesterday. That's gravel for the drive way and gue for the workshop garage roof.

More work on Ben's car ramp now the glue has dried,

ah SWMBO has stopped rattling around in the kitchen

Time to go get some porridge.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Partv1vof today's plan.. complete. By the time I got to the butchers the initial rush had gone down. Some Welsh Dragon Sausages and plain pork ones were added to the order. Welsh Dragon ones are .. excellent.

Now onto part 2 of the plan!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Partv1vof today's plan.. complete. By the time I got to the butchers the initial rush had gone down. Some Welsh Dragon Sausages and plain pork ones were added to the order. Welsh Dragon ones are .. excellent.

Now onto part 2 of the plan!

Baz

What does Welsh Dragon taste like? chicken perhaps?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Awoken by Arthur Itis a couple of times last night but no callouts from bladder control. However the sciatica was back this morning so I have to move carefully to avoid setting it off. When I looked out this morning I saw a chimney cowl laying in the back garden. I'm not sure whether its mine or a neighbours but as both of our chimneys have been redundant for some years it doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

"Big Yellow" visited and storage boxes purchased.  Coffee now and then I believe The Boss wants me to do a couple of jobs.  Also spotted that there's lots of rugby to watch over the weekend so I'll probably have to record it all for later.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Dull and windy (outside) but thankfully nowhere near as blowy as it was yesterday. A few pottering jobs this morning, first is to finish making the fruit tea loaf that I left soaking overnight, then clean some of Sheila’s jewellery, that should earn me a few brownie points. This afternoon, Charlie is calling round for a model making session, he normally calls round on a Thursday, but he cancelled yesterday as he was meeting up with a friend to exchange presents. Other than that it’s just a normal day. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I looked out this morning I saw a chimney cowl laying in the back garden

We have one to prevent birds coming down the chimney, even though we don’t have a real fire. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I looked out this morning I saw a chimney cowl laying in the back garden. I'm not sure whether its mine or a neighbours but as both of our chimneys have been redundant for some years it doesn't matter.

Its a good idea to check if it is yours, and if it is, that it hasn't damaged your roof on the way down.

OTOH if its your neighbours and its damaged your roof, then that's another kettle of fish...

• Like 1
  • Agree 8