The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

We have tough post people round here.

Postperson delivered the latest MRJ from Titfield Tunderbolt in Bath

Went out to collect the parcel and female postperson was wearing shorts.

Off shopping soon now that's been delivered.

Its the same here.

Its a game of chicken in the delivery office, seeing who will go to trousers first!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Welsh Dragon Sausages

What does Welsh Dragon taste like? chicken perhaps?

It can be a bit firey.

It's also a self-weighing beast because it's sold with scales.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I need to find out what the celebration procedures are.

At 03.27 this morning all celebrants were required to dance naked around a log whilst chanting something in a Celtic language and drinking mead.  Wearing a sprig of holly in place of a loincloth was optional.  

I was asleep; I missed the opportunity.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

At 03.27 this morning all celebrants were required to dance naked around a log whilst chanting something in a Celtic language and drinking mead.  Wearing a sprig of holly in place of a loincloth was optional.  

I was asleep; I missed the opportunity.  

All off-duty postpersons?

Thanks to the wind overnight, the dalek/compost bin captive in the back garden made another bid for freedom last night.  Its currently rolling in agony and I may leave it so for a while to teach it a lesson...

Edited by Hroth
missing h
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Nearly a quote from Baden Powell's Scouting for Boys. Still got my more than 60 year old copy somewhere.

Baden Powell era scouts didn’t have modern materials though. My Craghoppers “winter” trousers got lashed by sideways rain during Storm Debi in Yorkshire and  my legs remained dry and the fabric wasn’t waterlogged. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just had an unexpected Christmas bonus. A mail order food delivery arrived last night - Boxing Day ham, pork pie, sticky toffee pudding, among others - but was accompanied by another box I wasn't expecting. However, it had my name and address so took it in and opened it. Someone is missing their Christmas goodies - enough bacon to feed a small army, several packs of charcuterie, cheese biscuits and sundry other delights.

Rang the supplier this morning and it appears they have strict timing rules for food deliveries so declined the option to collect it. "Enjoy it with our compliments," they said. Well, if you insist.

Freezer is now stuffed with bacon, and we have two large pork pies ready for consumption. The only problem is that the Christmas Ocado order is due this afternoon and I'm not sure the fridge can accomodate it.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I suspect craghoppers trousers are somewhat more expensive than postie's would like to pay , considering the soggy  uniform is free.

The gulls here are grounded, they're all sat down in the field recently vacated by sheep.

Rail arrived on time, copper clad arrived pre rather than the indicated  post a certain event so that was good...

Therefore the originals turned up in a place I'd previously looked.

I'll keep the originals for their planned purpose, as it's fine scale, the new stuff will be used on this unmentionable as it was bought just acceptable. Worried when I got the box though it said code 80 on it, although it's contents had the ordered code 60.

Ben took me for SWMBO's route again, there's a tree down en route, but its fallen into the field so it's the farmers problem. The wind is a very strong  north north westerly, and chilly, although the workshop thermometer said it was a comparitively warm 14C.

Mugacoffee gone, so it's back upstairs to wield the electric glue stick..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We have one to prevent birds coming down the chimney, even though we don’t have a real fire. 

My fireplace is completely blocked off but fortunately the stainless steel chimney liner also is topped by a mesh grill. 

• Like 10

When we lived up in a village in Derbyshire, we used to see lots of bats flying around at sunset. I think we had some in our attic. I never ventured up there; left that to my wife to investigate the rustlings.

Talking of attics, we've still got some boxes of stuff we've not opened from two house moves ago... 

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

For outdoor wear I tend to wear deer stalkers kit, Fjalraven is a good make and if I am required to not look like I've just crawled up a mountain I wear Moleskins, have to pay for the best though RS Williams will knock you back £150 a pair. Always warm and dry when out filming.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I suspect craghoppers trousers are somewhat more expensive than postie's would like to pay , considering the soggy  uniform is free.

I suspect the materials used in postie’s modern uniform trousers have moved on from the days of blue serge.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

Since we started travelling 15 months ago, my wardrobe has been limited to two pairs of identical North Face trousers (along with two pairs of shorts).  They are fantastic and have survived everything that I have thrown at them with barely any sign of wear at all. Although not waterproof, they dry extremely quickly and are light and comfortable with the added bonus of having removable lower legs. They weren’t cheap either but have been excellent value.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Our regular postie wears shorts all the year round as does Nicki's partner Darren who is also a postie.

I was told they wear them in the rain as its more  comfortable than wearing wet full length trousers.

Our mail distribution operative Upon the Hill of Strawberries invariably wore shorts.  Even in the snow.  He insisted he was perfectly warm enough and he certainly didn't hang around.  Apart from to chat to all and sundry which he freely did.  

i can vouch for wet trousers when working outdoors being uncomfortable to say the least.  Shorts were not an option.  I always maintained that in an environment where female staff had a choice of trousers or skirts so male staff should, for equality's sake, also be given a second option.  Which could be a kilt.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We have one to prevent birds coming down the chimney, even though we don’t have a real fire. 

My fireplace is completely blocked off but fortunately the stainless steel chimney liner also is topped by a mesh grill. 

We had open fires in Australia where burning wood is the norm for additional winter heating if required.  It surprised us until we had a cap fitted to it that the local Silver Gulls would perch on the chimney pot and call down it as though enjoying the echo of their calls.  One bird did make it all the way down the chimney but it wasn't a gull.  It was a galah.  We heard the scuffling and fluttering and sure enough there soon emerged a slightly sooty but otherwise pink and grey feather-clad squawking machine.  It was grabbed quite easily and removed via the front door.  

The wood-burner at the Distant (Signal) West has a cap over the flue to prevent rain ingress.  It does tend to create a howling noise in high wind but nothing unusual or eerie.  It also serves as a handy foot-and- bum-warmer for any passing birds.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still blowing a hooly outside so having to check where the cowl came from will have to wait. If it is from my chimney I think the best option would be to have the top capped with cement. I know of one similar house to mine where the owner had the entire chimney stack removed, cost ££££'s to gain an extra six square feet over both floors (as well as the mess created).

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Fjalraven is a good make

I have just bought a Fjallraven parka. I don’t think I will be cold again like I was a few weeks ago.  I was wearing the coat I used to wear when walking the all weather dog. However while it was wind and waterproof I had to remove to thermal lining as I seemed to have gone up a size now we no longer have a dog. I don’t think my new coat was aimed at deerstalkers though as it mentioned the zip pulls were of non plant origin. They looked like leather to me. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect the materials used in postie’s modern uniform trousers have moved on from the days of blue serge.  

Yep, to the cheapest and nastiest trousers  head office penny pinchers can buy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6