The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It was blowing a hoodie again last night, but it seems a lot quieter, for now at least. I shall shortly be setting off to collect Ava, who will be spending the day with us. It’s been a couple of weeks since she last came, due to be being out at the Manchester exhibition on the 9th and last weekend Ava wasn’t very well. She’s now feeling much better and both Sheila and I are looking forward to seeing her again. Our first task will be to make a cheesecake, after that there are no firm plans, but I expect there will be a film watched this afternoon. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Here, Sprouts are 15p a pound for the improvident who neglected to start boiling back in September...  Needless to say, I haven't bought any!

Some are allegedly arriving today. However a portion of sprouts purchased much earlier this year exist in a frozen state, just in case. I think I will be preparing and cooking the sprouts.  It doesn’t take long. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:
18 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Do bears dump in the woods?”, could never apply to Poly Bear as his native land has no woods

Considering how detailed some of the nature documentaries are, I don’t recall any mention of it.  I can just imagine the Sir David Attenborough commentary though. 

Sir David is on record as assuring us that Poly Bears reverse carefully towards the edge of an ice-floe and relieve themselves into the waters.  When they can.  Otherwise it's making their presence very obvious in the snow with discolouration, odour and physical evidence.  

Which reminds me.  

Why did the Balrog have constipation?  Because Gandalf told him "You shall not pass"  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

12 vertical deck boards cut to the rough size, 

Bottom ledge placed er.. in place.

First vertical placed, marked up,  trimmed to exact size,  screwed to ledge.

Second vertical plank , marked up to fit, fitted screwed to bottom ledge,

Top ledge fitted, screwed to verticals ,

Third vertical plank, marked for size, trimmed to fit screwed to top and bottom ledges.

Repeat for verticals 4, 5, 6.

That's one door basically assembled, it needs the middle ledge fitting, then the tin old door screwed to the front. It won't need braces due to the tin.

Once Ben has taken me for his long walk I'll review hinges required..

But first.. muggacoffee time.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mrs Grizz and I watched ‘1970s Super Market - Christmas Special’ on channel 5 on Wednesday evening. On the show they had a small section dedicated to sprout eating in the UK. They had a scientist doing an experiment demonstrating the well known unfortunate side effects of eating said sprouts. Very interesting, as it is apparently down to a particular sugar found in the sprouts called Raffinose….another thing that I didn’t know and have learnt since the start of the week. 
They also commented that the sprouts grown to be sold and consumed in the UK nowadays are generally sweeter and smaller than those mind scarring, bitter cannon balls we were forced to scoff down in the 1970s. Such that it is not our taste buds changing with age. Which probably explains why now I don’t mind having a couple of them occasionally. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Some are allegedly arriving today. However a portion of sprouts purchased much earlier this year exist in a frozen state, just in case. I think I will be preparing and cooking the sprouts.  It doesn’t take long. 

I think sprouts used to be a lot more bitter- but it has been bred out of them in recent decades. Same thing had happened to aubergines apparently. No need to boil sprouts for ever and no need to salt aubergines or stir is you used to have to do,

old recipes a La Mrs Beaton called for carrots to be boiled for ages too; maybe they were once less sweet as well.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Just stopped for a short break from Castle cleaning. Time for a cuppa. Good job I stopped because there was a knock at the door and…..

Julemanden (The Christmas Man in DK) has brought me an early present……☺️….must have been a reasonably good Grizz this year. A DB G Gauge Class 204 diesel loco….my letter to him obviously got through then. 

IMG_3204.jpeg.cca9b8e3e8a5b3226822d72cb240d386.jpeg

Hummmph…..just been told that I’m not allow to play with it yet as it has to boxed back up and wrapped for tomorrow evening……😱 😭

And there I was, thinking that O gauge was unreasonably large!

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I think sprouts used to be a lot more bitter- but it has been bred out of them in recent decades. Same thing had happened to aubergines apparently. No need to boil sprouts for ever and no need to salt aubergines or stir is you used to have to do,

old recipes a La Mrs Beaton called for carrots to be boiled for ages too; maybe they were once less sweet as well.

My late and much-missed mother was no cook. Her mother was no cook either. 

Vegetables had to be peeled, cut (for carrots that was thinly sliced) and boiled. Once boiled the timer went on for 20 minutes because nothing was cooked before that time had elapsed. 

Everything was so soft when served that it was easier to use the fork as a scoop. 

I find flavour varies. Supermarket veg is often bland and sometimes tired. Farm-fresh produce has the crispness of taste one expects. It also takes just a little longer to cook but I normally serve veg “al dente”; with a slight crunch and just yielding enough to be forked.  

The tagliatelle of heirloom carrots I sometimes make requires the shredded lengths to be dunked in boiling water while I count to ten, removed, drained and served. With a knob of butter and a sprinkle of freshly-cracked black peppercorns. 

I can’t get away with roasting potatoes in duck or goose fat, nor lard, due to Dr. SWMBO’s weight-related health concerns. But if I do get a chance they turn out beautifully crisped outside and fluffy inside. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In other news the C*******s rush is well and truly on. 

Ten people were aboard the morning bus to Penzance. I had to queue behind another person in the Co-op

Yup. It’s a busy old day. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On alternate years we go to our daughters for dinner on the 25th, son in law cooks brussels stir fried with bacon lardons, superb way to produce a tasty accompaniment to out turkey ( I have a Guinea fowl for boxing day at home when the sprouts will more traditional)

• Like 16