The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

On alternate years we go to our daughters for dinner on the 25th, son in law cooks brussels stir fried with bacon lardons, superb way to produce a tasty accompaniment to out turkey ( I have a Guinea fowl for boxing day at home when the sprouts will more traditional)

After part boiling them Ive cooked  Brussels that way as well plus a few chestnuts thrown in.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. @TheQ You can still get walking sticks made from brussel sprout stalks only today they are grown just for the stalks as the ones from the modern vegetable aren't long enough. Most of the walking sticks come from Jersey where they are known as Jersey cabbage sticks. I have one that belonged to my great grandfather and is about 120 years old.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

45 minutes ago, southern42 said:

One cake iced and decorated.

IMG_8442.jpeg.8d340863bdb2c6deb1813fc915b3c226.jpeg  IMG_8447.jpeg.f090ed2867cd9e13c94f829496a90810.jpeg

IMG_8448.jpeg.ac37df6417beb4462acf19a0e42b68af.jpeg   IMG_8449.jpeg.53020b12680ad8bc622591e01e707945.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg.15c413ba1c6adfe6ab840ff8f3d6953c.jpeg   IMG_8451.jpeg.6c0f4c28f3c94549bbce2d439e6db9c0.jpeg

Now to sort out the groceries.

For a minute I thought it was a CAPTCHA...    "Click on all Christmas Greetings"  🙃

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had dinner, a mac-cheese as I'm not feeling very hungry. Didn't go out today as I found the Oxo cubes and there's nothing else that I need until after the holidays. The arthritis and sciatica are playing up so not much clearing up has been done.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Well compared with some of the posts here our shopping for the festive period would seem to be something of an epic covering 160km (100 miles), 4 food stores and two days.

Yesterday a descent into the Rhone valley firstly to a large deli/greengrocer store for fruit and veg - better quality and choice than the local supermarkets.  Then on to the big super/hypermarket for a fresh capon, English cheeses to accompany the European ones from the deli, etc..  Followed then by the "little" supermarket for their Deluxe items and then back up the hill.  By this time I had had enough and we went home so this morning saw a trip down the hill to the local supermarket for locally sourced fresh items.

At least we should now be set until the New Year with the possible exception of fresh milk. 

• Like 19

6 hours ago, southern42 said:

One cake iced and decorated.

IMG_8442.jpeg.8d340863bdb2c6deb1813fc915b3c226.jpeg  IMG_8447.jpeg.f090ed2867cd9e13c94f829496a90810.jpeg

IMG_8448.jpeg.ac37df6417beb4462acf19a0e42b68af.jpeg   IMG_8449.jpeg.53020b12680ad8bc622591e01e707945.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg.15c413ba1c6adfe6ab840ff8f3d6953c.jpeg   IMG_8451.jpeg.6c0f4c28f3c94549bbce2d439e6db9c0.jpeg

We finished icing ours a couple of days ago and brought half of it with us to our son’s where we’re spending Christmas, along with a jar of home-made marmalade. Tastes seem to have skipped a generation in the family. None of our kids liked our Christmas cake or marmalade. The two grandsons here love them both. A chunk of the cake was eaten at dinner last night. Then my wife made them up a lunch today - crackers, hummus, banana, carrot and cucumber sticks, and crisps. She asked if there was anything else they would like. Answer -  “Marmalade toast, please.”

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Y’know how things say “Serves 4”?  And they might serve that number provided you’re not over-generous nor too hungry. 

So last week I got a turkey crown which suggested “Serves 4” because, well, turkeys don’t come in Small for just two. I got a turkey crown some years ago and it served two twice over. And so I thought this might be the same. 

As it was boxed and “oven-ready” complete with stuffing and jus I couldn’t see how much turkey was in the pack. 

Tonight we had our “pre-Christmas dinner” because we are away on Monday. We both had very generous helpings of turkey which was absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. 

When I came to return the “leftovers” to the fridge I filled not one but two of our “serves 4” glass dishes. We gauge how much there is of something by using the larger or smaller (serves 2) sizes. 

So the “Serves 4” will end up providing at least ten generous portions. 

I believe it’s traditional to have more turkey than one knows how to enjoy at this time of year. I seem to have upheld that tradition. 

I also ensured that Dr. SWMBO’s Australian tradition of pavlova for dessert was provided for. Well a close approximation. “Cornish Pavlova” uses clotted cream in meringue nests with strawberries around the dish. 

IMG_5368.jpeg.69fa967653cd02a76267ee71d5269160.jpeg

I'd have plonked another strawberry upright in the cream....

I know, I can't be taken anywhere!

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, pH said:

Tastes seem to have skipped a generation in the family.

An immigrant thing perhaps? Where as youngsters their peers might have made fun of "fruit cake"? Which is a punchline in the US - mostly because the tradition of making it at home for Christmas died out for some reason lost in time - perhaps as too "English" in some former colonies.

I wonder if many English Christmas traditions were lost in the New England colonies - the celebration being forbidden in the 17th century during the commonwealth*. (though the ban was repealed in 1681).

The state of Massachusetts is (one of few) know as the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I'm a big fan of Christmas cake. And Christmas pudding. And mince pies. None of which I'll have this year.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A little while ago there was a discussion about SYD - MEL being a busy air route. It's still in the top 10 but not close to number one.

CNN: The world’s busiest flight routes for 2023

1. Jeju (CJU) to Seoul Gimpo (GMP)
  2. Sapporo New Chitose (CTS) - Tokyo Haneda (HND)
  3. Fukuoka (FUK) - Tokyo Haneda (HND)
  4. Hanoi (HAN) - Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
  5. Melbourne (MEL) - Sydney (SYD)
  6. Beijing (PEK) - Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA)
  7. Tokyo Haneda (HND) - Okinawa Naha (OKA)
  8.  Jeddah (JED) - Riyadh (RUH)
  9. Mumbai (BOM) - Delhi (DEL)
  10. Jakarta (CGK) - Bali Denpasar (DPS)

KUL-SIN is the busiest international flight. The only European (region)/US airport to make the top 10 is LHR-JFK.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1