The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, pH said:

there appear to be two arcs superimposed

A "double rainbow". (Quite visible in the top right corner.) Quite common in the northwest. 

Even with my quite wide angle on my telephone, I have to use the panorama feature to capture a full rainbow.

Here's a clip of one from September - the second rainbow was not very bright.

image.png.683ca83cbd9f7f75007934f731c188c3.png

The smudges were raindrops.

No rainbows here today. It did not rain, but the morning fog, which was moderately heavy lifted a little but never dissipated into a clear sky. Rain is forecast for Tuesday.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added photograph
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A "double rainbow". (Quite visible in the top right corner.) Quite common in the northwest. 

No - I wasn’t referring to that higher and quite separate ‘bow’. If you look at the main low down ‘bow’ (and I admit it doesn’t show up clearly) you may be able to see that it actually includes a complete arc (roygbiv top to bottom) above and a partial arc (gbiv?) below that.

I’ll try to blow up part of the picture to show it a bit more clearly.

Edit - try this. You may be able to see two violet bands at the bottom of the bow. The second, lower band is very faint. It was more distinct in “real life”.

IMG_2526.jpeg.8f0a02c743a4997cb0245fd3726dacfb.jpeg

Edited by pH
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Now that I've finished watching my recordings of the fireworks on sky news, and then CNBU on BBC Alba (from Govan), I'm winding down and my house is at last quiet. So to 'na coin' [1] who have kept us amused and informed during the year, Happy New Year to Ben, Schotty and Lucy - may you have a good year and keep those who think they are your owners under control!

1. gàidhlig na h-alba, google translate from scots gaelic if you have to, not to be confused with the discworld sourcerer

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

A Happy New Year to All,

Yesterday I spent the countdown to midnight alone as Mrs iD had decamped with the doggies to her cousins place due to selfish morons (other terms are available) already setting off explosive fireworks on the 30th - reducing Schotty (and other pets I’m sure) to a bundle of anxiety.

Mrs iD’s cousins’ house has triple glazed windows and with a roomy and heated cellar, provides a refuge for both Schotty and Lucy where they can’t hear the explosions.

It’s just as well Mrs iD and The Wolfpack relocated; after dropping them off I returned home and fell asleep in front of the TV, only to be awoken by what sounded like an artillery barrage - which went on for quite a bit. After which I dozed off only to be awoken again at about 02:00 by the local cretinous yoof throwing bangers around.

Pleasurable but evil thoughts of bangers, whizz-bangers and crackers becoming adhesive when lit - sticking to the would be thrower’s hands - lulled me off to sleep before I awakened at my usual time of 06:00 or so.

So, to paraphrase The Who’s great song <Won’t Get Fooled Again>:

Here’s to the new year, same as the old year

• Friendly/supportive 19

I do love the serendipity of the internet ... when looking for one thing, you find something completely different. but nevertheless very interesting.

Before there was Design Clever, it appears there was Hornby Clever Cook. 

(I have to say the skewiff Hornby sticker does look like it may be a later addition to a non-Hornby product)

image.png.93458cc21dc2f88ffa6624a124ae81b3.png

Edited by BachelorBoy
clarified sticker comment
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

No double rainbows here but this is how they are formed.

Double rainbows are formed when sunlight is reflected twice within a raindrop with the violet light that reaches the observer's eye coming from the higher raindrops and the red light from lower raindrops.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The last remaining slice of the vanilla cheesecake is sitting in the fridge waiting for lunch, it should last that long as I had a bacon buttie or three for breakfast and I am full up. Now to continue sorting boxes in the utility room.

• Like 16

A lazy New Years Day so far, didn't surface until after eight, and currently having an equally late elevenses of coffee and a mince pie, with the Vienna NYD concert on as background music.

( I thought the interval filler was dire, and apparently they're going to throw in the equally depressing ballet dancers in the second half too...)

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Early Afternoon All.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all and hopefully all with health issues see an improvement. 
Been busy of late, bookwork, transporting furniture down to Newark and a trip to the charity shop. Internet/wifi/ipad very slow so work and visits to here have been frustrated.

No new year’s resolutions made here.

Football match this afternoon but will be going on my own, no Mum or nephew.

Better get a move on.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

30 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Double rainbow last year. Rainbow’s end, MRC building but no pot of gold!

IMG_6750.jpeg.c93dcf4c587106c40e2f3ca7aaa01f82.jpeg

It might be a SCALE pot of gold...

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Bon a née from the Charente.  We got in from the party at 01.00 in time to watch the fireworks from London. A good time had been had.  The log burner is going well and the house is slowly warming up after our absence.  A quacbird has been roasted and a good friend is due shortly to consu e it.  The car has been emptied d most thi gs sorted. Was hi g underway and a weeks worth of logs arrowed down. My Christmas wish of a 7 1/4" line from the wood shed to the front door, obviously got forgotten by Santa. 

Jamie 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed a bit of modelling yesterday building the Finetrax point. Today I've been taking decorations down and tidying up ready for the working week starting tomorrow. A couple of days ago, it dawned on me that I could do with a test track, so I might have a go at putting some track on some wood, solely for running in locos and other testing type activities.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2