The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not many options for dinner tonight, cottage pie or cottage pie, the fridge is now bare, so it's a big shop tomorrow. It certainly rained earlier and the wind is still blowing. Now to watch 'Digging for Britain'.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Today is the coldest day of winter so far. -7C

That's cold.

We've had a mild winter so far - December saw most days above normal - flirting with 10°C. We haven't even seen any overnight frost in weeks, let alone frozen precipitation.

Meteorologists are breathlessly forecasting mountain snow over the weekend but low temperatures in the valley shouldn't drop below 2°C or so.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Semantics - together with an awlful lot of so-called changes in addressing people I am 'old' not elderely or older person and definitely not a 'person with xyz' ,I have  a condition sumarised by a single word!  How this also messes with the English language and the use of  'precis' (French origin and missing the accent here!) exercises that we were familiar with in school days and which editors still use extensively.  The PC brigade is responsible for a lot of 'nonsense changes' in this language of ours.

Added to what has becme a rant, the use of 'think' instead of the correct 'thing' has reached the disastrous stage of being 'accepted' as earlier the use of different 'to' rather than the correct different 'from' in the latest lexicon dictionary acceptable word usage.

Rant over.

Oh dear, Peter, you’ve set me off….. 🤣

As someone who loves the English language I get more than “rather irked” by a lot of the garbage that spews out of people’s mouths nowadays - often by people who should know better.

“GIFTED” is the latest word I’ve come across that is guaranteed to provoke a Victor Meldrewish apoplexy in anyone who cares about the English language. What’s wrong with given/giving/was given? It’s bad enough when it’s used in a modern setting, but when it (and similar words of that ilk) are used in ostensibly “period” dramas I get a little cross (another great English word neglected and trampled under the feet of the bast*rd whoresons that pass themselves off as “English” words nowadays).

And I’m not talking about colloquialisms (foreign or home-grown), but just bad, sloppy and brain dead usage. The use of <Americanisms> is often criticised (justifiably so in the case of the utter b*****ks being spewed out of US Academia nowadays), but the US has provided the world with some amazing colloquialisms/phrases: wrapped too tight, day late and a dollar short, cool, dude, hip, etc.

And as for correct use of grammar… it does seem to be breathing its last, if not dead already. 

Why the linguistic decline? I can but speculate, but “trendy” education theories probably have a lot to do with it (which may explain that foreigners who really master English as a second language speak and write it better than many native speakers because they’ve had to learn it properly)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 6

Incidentally, my good chum, Captain Cynical, was looking over my shoulder as I typed the above and breezily informed that when he takes over the world, the use of any of the following will be grounds for immediate summary execution:

• Gifted
  • Chrimbo
  • Circle back

• Phraseify

• Bandwith for that

• Any ”Bizness Spik” (as in <action that> and so on)

• Train station

• Person with….

• Person of….

CC then paused for a sip of coffee and added “and that’s just for starters

I think he was joking….

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 12

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

For dog fans.

This was a local news story that got picked up nationally. Every national outlet seems to have repackaged the story.

Coasties to the rescue - of a Golden Retriever who fell 300' from a cliff at Ecola State Park on the Oregon Coast.

NBC News: Coast Guard rescues three-year-old dog after 300 ft fall in Oregon

Oregonian: Golden retriever tumbles off cliff near Cannon Beach, launching Coast Guard’s first 2024 rescue in Oregon

Dog has injuries, broken jaw and a collapsed lung. The tidal zone was exceptionally dangerous - with high seas and 'sneaker waves' at the time.

That story made it across here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-67875488

• Like 12

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Incidentally, my good chum, Captain Cynical, was looking over my shoulder as I typed the above and breezily informed that when he takes over the world, the use of any of the following will be grounds for immediate summary execution:

• Gifted
  • Chrimbo
  • Circle back

• Phraseify

• Bandwith for that

• Any ”Bizness Spik” (as in <action that> and so on)

• Train station

• Person with….

• Person of….

CC then paused for a sip of coffee and added “and that’s just for starters

I think he was joking….

There's nothing wrong with Chrimbo, unlike your other examples!

(Its probably an Aussie coinage, so BEWARE!)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There's nothing wrong with Chrimbo, unlike your other examples!

(Its probably an Aussie coinage, so BEWARE!)

No way mate! I've NEVER heard it here, it is always Chrissie.

Chrissie dinner, Chrissie present, Chrissie card, Chrissie holiday.......

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1