The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Regarding take pets out for the day what about poor old Hector?

A good thing Freddie Starr wasn't about, feeling peckish...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

27 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

When  I was seven one of my classmates brought in a pet frog in his pocket.

When we first moved to Singapore, I was six. We frightened a small lizard in the house so that it left its tail behind (classic defence behaviour). The tail continued to wiggle and I wanted it to take it to school show my new classmates. It was put in a matchbox for me but of course by the morning it had long since stopped wiggling. I assume it went in the bin!

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

I remember seeing on TV  that there was a guy on a Hawaiian island who had a slow moving lava flow heading for his house. By hosing down the lava as it approached his property, it cooled enough to stop moving and formed a dam forcing the flow to go either side,  which he also cooled with water leaving the house and most of his garden  in a cooled U of lava.

Done extensively in Iceland during the eruption of Eldfell, 51 years ago. I remember seeing pictures of the fight against the volcano in National Geographic magazine. 

There was a large scale effort to save the harbour of the fishing village of of Heimaey in the Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) archipelago. I thought they used a fire boat, but apparently it was a dredge - the Sandey  that was used to pump seawater.

They pumped water on this wall of lava to stop it moving down the street.

This BBC image of the fissures in Grindavík do not augur well if you project three points along a line.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 15

Day three of our subfreezing weather. Today sees blue skies and bright sunshine. (I can't remember the last time I saw truly blue skies.) Lovely, but it remains below freezing - not nearly as cold as @Ian Abel 's tundra, at noon it is -3.5°C. (It was -6°C when I went for my walk.)

Tomorrow sees a forecast for freezing rain, which on top of the accumulated sleet 'pack' will be nasty. (They are talking about as much as 8mm of freezing rain. ) Thursday should see a return to more normal temperatures and the non-freezing type of rain.

The 'sleet pack' is odd. It is almost incompressible, but not so much so as solid ice. Even heavy boots don't leave much of a footprint, but it 'gives' just enough not to be dangerously slippery - though on a slope it is almost as treacherous as solid ice.

The sun is working hard on the sleet pack - some surface sleet will sublimate and some will melt, infiltrate the sleet and refreeze. It's not going away today.

I will need to get out soon - not just to restock the pantry but to refill prescriptions that will run out tomorrow. The neighbourhood streets are terrible. There is a small hill to get to the main road and it is icy. On my walk I saw someone in a front-wheel drive sedan (Honda Accord / Acura or equivalent) reverse down the hill and take a big run-up to get to the top and escape.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Gateshead, I'm told, Dave!

That makes sense, I think I know where it is now.

David

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. After walking around Tess Coes this afternoon Arthur Itis is giving me aggro, Nurofen has been taken and now it's almost time for a second dose. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Or the Skoda Yeti. But Ka as the model name for a car took how much imagination and advertising-executive fees? 

I used to be familiar with how one of my employers selected names for their ships. It's a lot more difficult than people might imagine. A lovely sounding name in English can sound like an expletive or reproductive organ in other languages. Consideration of political and cultural sensitivities, for example place names can be fraught with problems given real estate disputes and objections to using the 'wrong' name. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

A lovely sounding name in English can sound like an expletive or reproductive organ in other languages.

Like the Mitsubishi Pajero.

The Pajero nameplate derives from Leopardus pajeros, the Pampas cat. Mitsubishi marketed the SUV as the Montero in North America, Spain, and Latin America (except for Brazil and Jamaica) due to the term "pajero" being derogatory (meaning "wãnker") in Spanish. In the United Kingdom, it was known as the Shogun (将軍), named after the Japanese word for "General." The model was discontinued in North America in 2006.

OK, this is hilarious. The net nanny in RMweb replaced w-a-n-k-e-r with "###### (Boris)". 😀

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Net nanny
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The biggest headache for me is the Persian Gulf, as Arab countries demand it be called the Arabian Gulf, and if you just call it 'The Gulf' you annoy both sides. Iranian people consider that they have been most gracious in allowing the world to call it the Persian Gulf instead of the Gulf of Iran. I regular have to address meetings and regulatory fora and I long ago settled on Persian Gulf as the least objectionable and if Arbs take issue I can point to IMO documents and say 'don't blame me, I'm only using the name agreed at IMO'. Much more of a headache than most as it is so significant to global trade and politics (outside of Argentina and Britain very few could care less about the Falkland Islands/Malvinas for example).

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

38 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

... outside of Argentina and Britain very few could care less about the Falkland Islands/Malvinas for example

That's for sure - particularly with it's long contentious history and marginal claims on both sides.

The whole question of 'naming rights' always confounds me. Anglicizations are somewhat understandable (Spain, Italy etc*) but why "Germany"? How do you get "Germany" out of "Deutschland"?** Similarly for Finland / Suomi. Examples are legion. Surely the inhabitants should get to name their own country and others should respectfully use that name, allowing for making it pronounceable in a different language.

* Though "Italia" doesn't seem that hard to manage in the Lingua Anglia.

** Yes, there was a Roman province called "Germania" (which ceased to have any relevance in the post-classical period. We don't still call France "Gaul" even if the adjective "gallic" still has currency.)

Maritime geography is more complex. Should the world's oceans carry the names given them by European colonial navigators?

Even in English speaking countries there are misalignments. I grew up with the "Southern Ocean". Not that long ago, a US-based trivia show had a question related to the area (something like what oceans did the Bass Strait connect) where the answers were the Indian and Pacific Oceans - not the answer I would have given.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1