RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I bet it would form a good plot idea for a modern version of Agatha Christie’s “4.50 from Paddington”. 

Paddington was one of the pointless answers (which none of the contestants got) in a round about Agatha Christie titles on Pointless this evening!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My late father in law (born 1921) has his first driving experience in a Model T Ford owned by his father.  He can’t have been that old as he was sent away to school when he was about 15. This wasn’t in post WW1 Somerset though but near the  NW frontier of pre partition India. He and his brothers just drove around their compound in  the car. There wasn’t much else to do apparently though they did play cricket with the detachment of soldiers protecting them. 
Tony

The oldest car I remember seeing in day-to-day use was when we lived on Mendip around 1960. I think that it was the local GP, who drove an early Alvis, with a dicky seat and the first Bath registration number FB1.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I nowadays couldn't get into one even if it didn't have a roof. In fact there's quite a few normal cars I find difficult if not impossible to get in and out of due to the arthritis. I was seriously thinking of changing my car before the accident because of the high sills.

Mil is quite small and has many arthritis related mobility problems, and uses sticks and walking frames. She has no difficulty getting in and out of my Evoque or,the front seat of Aditi’s Fiesta. She cannot get into the back seat of a Toyota Corolla as the door doesn’t open wide enough.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Mil is quite small and has many arthritis related mobility problems, and uses sticks and walking frames. She has no difficulty getting in and out of my Evoque or,the front seat of Aditi’s Fiesta. She cannot get into the back seat of a Toyota Corolla as the door doesn’t open wide enough.  

I find the same with some Skoda models. I am also beginning to find a problem with high sills as my arthritis deteriorates this is why I wanted to replace my Hyundai. The Vauxhall Zafira I am interested in has wide doors and a low sill.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Removing the old one involved 'unsticking' all four feet which was a problem as when one foot was 'unstuck' you moved onto the next only to find that the first one was stuck again. I resolved the problem by slipping a thin card underneath each foot as it was released.

Rather similar to the instructions for removing the body of certain types of model locomotive....

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Interesting side note for fans of EV vehicles, seems they nor their charging stations are built for severe cold.

Many reports of stranded Teslas and charging taking forever IF working at all around the sub-zero midwest!!..

Hmm, initially when I read this story about how Rolls Royce and Volvo have developed an EV charger that generates its power by burning big piles of wood  I will admit that I was struggling to see how that fits into the "fighting climate change" argument, but I guess if you installed a whole heap of these around there, the warmth from all that burning carbon would help heat the car enough to get the electrons moving around,  so - problem solved.

https://electrek.co/2024/01/12/volvo-ce-and-rolls-royce-develop-wood-burning-charger-for-off-grid-evs/

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

EV's perform well in a niche role where they can be charged at home and do short trips through the day

Probably 90% of journeys for a very large number of people. Bet it's closer to 99% for many.

My V6 is 20 years old and has done less than 100,000 miles. I lived relatively close to work. My longest regular trip was to the airport.

Growing up, daily use for the family car was mostly going to the shops. We lived close to a railway station. Dad commuted to work by train as did I for university. For most of my schooling I walked or rode a bicycle.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Some of these issues, like adequate charging infrastructure,  or battery maintenance and  safety  - to name just three fundamental ones

Internal combustion engine-powered vehicles had all the same problems (refueling access, safe handling of fuels etc), gradually resolved over 158 years.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

34 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

The software does not like out of country postal codes.

I tried to contribute to one of the RMweb appeals some years back. Everything looked like it worked but my credit card was not charged.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11