RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

gochujang

I had to Google that but it appears it is available from the supermarkets and delivery services we use. Though it probably won’t be purchased as Aditi isn’t that keen on “hot” spicy sauces. 
I haven’t been to Asia so my consumption of bibimbap has been in London and Dublin. 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Mrs JJB likes her kim chi fully weaponized........ I love Korean food, wonderful.

I reckon Korean food can be the culinary equivalent of going down the Cresta Run on a Bobsled without protective gear or brakes: dangerous as all get out, but what an adrenaline rush...,

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2024 at 03:23, BR60103 said:

Southern42:  for those instruments of the crumhorn family, are the reeds played between the lips or fully in the mouth?  I seem to remember that the zurla/zurna of the Balkans has the reed free inside the mouth, giving a more bagpipe sound.  The place where the reed enters the instrument has a large button around it so that enthusiastic playing doesn't force the instrument down the throat.

Crumhorn, Iowa SU: Quote// The player's lips did not touch the reed because the reed was enclosed inside a protective cap with a slot at one end. //Unquote 

On 21/01/2024 at 19:40, Tony_S said:

ER hasn't been at its most scintillating as of late:

If anyone wants to be "scintillated", try this.The crumhorn makes an appearance here, too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had to Google that but it appears it is available from the supermarkets and delivery services we use. Though it probably won’t be purchased as Aditi isn’t that keen on “hot” spicy sauces. 
I haven’t been to Asia so my consumption of bibimbap has been in London and Dublin. 

I recommend giving it a go, it's sauce of the gods. I don't find it that spicy, but then again asking someone whether food is spicy is a futile exercise really as preferences and what we might consider too much or bland are so personal. As Asian spicy foods go I'd rate gochujang as somewhere mid or just below mid-scale. Stuff like mala, some of the hotter wasabi paste (although really wasabi isn't spicy, it's heat) or Malay/Indonesian chilli sauces and sambal are much higher up the scale.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Tony_S said:
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

too much or bland are so personal.

Aditi seems to think about 5 dried chilli flakes in a curry is a bit hot. I have been able to get away with more when I cook if there is emergency yoghurt available. 

Mother used to say "I don't like garlic.  I can't eat anything with garlic in"

So dad crushed then chopped it very finely before adding it to suitable meals which she then enjoyed with the words "Oooo - that's nice.  What's in it?" 🤦‍♀️

She then turned her attention to "spicy" foods claiming she didn't like them and didn't want any sort of spice.  She never did like anything on the curry spectrum and chilli was far too hot for her.  Even when it had just a few grains of chilli powder; she could taste that all right.  

By contrast dad was fine with hot spicy food having done his National Service in North Africa (mostly), Malaya and Singapore.  It took me a while to get enthused because school-dinner "curry" was quite dreadful and involved turning minced beef swimming in oil a lurid shade of green.  But I gained an appreciation and love for Indian "street food" when living in a part of London largely populated by folk from that part of the world.  Mostly North Indian but a goodly smattering of those from elsewhere.  

And I do love a hot chilli.  A university friends and myself had an unofficial "hottest chilli" contest over a number of years.  I'll hand honours to her because hers always tasted better but I think mine ended up hottest.  It only counted if you finished the meal and it proceeded through normally.  No returns!  

I took BiL to an Indian restaurant in Penzance some years ago.  We had planned a few drinks early in the evening so this was a natural follow-on.  He too likes spicy food from that part of the world and has spent a year in Cambodia. Cambodian food is different to Indian but is also quite fiery.  

BiL timidly went for the Butter Chicken while I ordered the Meat Phal.  He bet me I wouldn't finish it.  He lost.  Darned good it was too and well cooked.  Even the chef emerged from the kitchen to make sure it had been enjoyed.  It had.  And I don't recall any of the allegedly-typical  after-effects occurring.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

Crumhorn, Iowa SU: Quote// The player's lips did not touch the reed because the reed was enclosed inside a protective cap with a slot at one end. //Unquote 

If anyone wants to be "scintillated", try this.The crumhorn makes an appearance here, too.

very nice till the Hurdy Gurdy (another instrument of the devil like the ukulele!) chipped in..

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

26 minutes ago, pH said:

Tell that to a friend who had got to the stage of doctors having a discussion with his wife about switching the machines off! Fortunately, one doctor came up with the correct diagnosis - a rare bacterial infection caught from rodent faeces and/or urine.

Practically every member of the order Rodentia carry diseases that are zoonotic (i.e. jump from animal to human). Zoonotic diseases include such fun things as anthrax, salmonellosis, tuberculosis, (bacterial), rabies,  AIDS, Ebola (viral)  trichinosis, toxoplasmosis (parasites).

More worrying are bats, not only are they a huge reservoir of unknown viral and bacterial disease (we don't know a fraction of what they carry) but they are also related to the Primates, (the mammal taxon that includes lemurs, monkeys, apes, and humans) which probably explains why they are such a concern to virologists (easier zoonotic transmission??)

In this regard it makes sense to protect bat habitats: you don't want to destroy a bat habitat scattering bats to god knows where carrying god knows what....

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

Tell that to a friend who had got to the stage of doctors having a discussion with his wife about switching the machines off! Fortunately, one doctor came up with the correct diagnosis - a rare bacterial infection caught from rodent faeces and/or urine.

And there was the small matter of that plague thingy back in the day!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Careful reward based training has gotten her to the point where she can eat a mild korma

Dr SWMBO is not dissimilar. 

Likes the mildest of Indian foods but has to be very wary of cream and fat contents due to other medical issues. 

If we visit our favourite Indian chef’s premises she will have a chicken korma. I’ll usually have a meat (i.e.lamb) vindaloo. With a biryani because it’s more interesting than plain rice and the delightfully-named sag aloo as a side. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

@PupCam I sent you a PM but the system says you're not receiving messages!

What gives?

Test message sent ….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi seems to think about 5 dried chilli flakes in a curry is a bit hot. I have been able to get away with more when I cook if there is emergency yoghurt available. 

I'll guess you'll not be wanting my recipe for Thai Chilli sauce then - and especially the variant where I substituted Antillais chilli (aka Granny's bonnet)  for cayenne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1