Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On eggs and breakfast, the traditional breakfast in Singapore is boiled eggs with kaya toast. Doctors would feint at the kaya toast, the butter is applied in slabs, literal slabs.

Butter makes lots of things better....

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

Butter makes lots of things better....

But not elevated cholesterol levels. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know why but after a lifetime of tapping the egg and removing the cracked shell, I have become a person who hits it with the knife edge attempting a clean cut to remove the top. 

Tricky, isn't it? My father could do it cleanly, but I usually end up knocking the egg over...
Big question - big end or little end?

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It was  a time when "business"lunches were a taxable deduction and our manager was an enthusiastic tax deductor.  I have many a hazy memory of sitting outside some pub at The Rocks, or restaurant outside circular quay, with the Harbour bridge to the left, Opera House to the right, thinking why is the sun going down?   Or working away at our desks when suddenly the boss would stick  his head into our open plan work area and say  "2 metre swell at the Heads (ie Sydney Harbour mouth )  - whos' up for  the Manly Ferry?!"   And off we'd all go to get tossed around and thoroughly soaked, then off to the Governors Pleasure at The Rocks for a pub lunch. . The expats definitely embraced the Australian work ethic. 

Brilliant times, and as a bonus we discovered enough oil and gas in between the fun to still make money for the company.

And you got paid as well???????

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Smiffy2 said:

Tricky, isn't it? My father could do it cleanly, but I usually end up knocking the egg over...
Big question - big end or little end?

Whichever end fits the egg-cup currently in use...

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I saw my fair share of over promoted and inexperienced senior officers.  The problem was that if they stuffed up big time real people got hurt.  There were some very telling comments in the initial Hillsborough enquiry report. Nuff said. 

More carpentry today. 

Jamie

That's something not unheard of in our line of work here either! While it may not immediately be a risk factor, one example that comes to my mind immediately would be team leaders for driving staff who are not themselves certified drivers. This doesn't exactly inspire credibility when said team leaders need to assess incidents or complaints without having first-hand experience of their own.

I suppose issues like this one becoming slowly more common among public transport operators may be another result of the skilled labour shortage which is making itself increasingly felt. It does make me wonder whether all other sensible options, such as recruiting team leaders primarily among qualified drivers, are really being exhausted or whether employers are merely copping out.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 16

HUMP day.

Yesterday a nonevent.

Today, Mrs off to a memorial service for the hubby of one of her book club ladies.

Later we're heading to the theatre, "Dial M for Murder" at the Guthrie Theatre, well respected premiere locale in the Twin Cities. Revues all been good, so will be fun.

+1c and sunny first thing, 10-11c the forecast high. We keep on breaking records for warmest and least snow winter, and looks like it's going to continue that way.

Tally ho.

• Like 19

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sadly professional managers are often useless because they are to busy managing a business they don't understand. The courses they've taken have to be generic, and generic solutions don't work in many businesses, you need to know and understand the technical purpose of the company, not just see it as a profit centre.

Amen to that, I sadly watched a few very large companies go down the route of promoting an accountant to run the show with near disastrous results.

They tended to promote "yes men" who in turn surrounded themselves with idiots so they wouldn't show themselves up as incompetent. I left and found more satisfying employment working for a family firm, at ;east they cared.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Regarding “management”, I always thought the Hale and Pace “The Management” as rather good fun.

Anyway, back to the real world. Currently I have to report directly to the company CEO and he can be a real nasty barsteward when he wants to be. After one business trip to London, he carpeted me over a dinner that cost more than the permitted £5 for an evening meal. When I said “what about your dinners at Tom Kerridge’s restaurant?” He went ballistic. “Know your place” and “rank has its privileges” were some of the things he screamed at me. Basically, “do as I say, not do as I do”. He’ll never fire me, as I do all the essential senior level work for the company and he can’t- quite literally - live without me. Mind you, after that last tirade, I’m ready to walk….

Problem is, I work for myself….

Edited by iL Dottore
Punctuation
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

And you got paid as well???????

Friday lunchtimes and afternoons  in Central Sydney in the 80's were like one big party, then the Fringe Benefits Tax got introduced which meant that businesses could no longer claim long lunches as a tax deduction and some of  the fun dampened down a bit.

The death knell for our company good times  was when we got bought by an oil  company from Midland, Texas who turned out to be Southern Baptists, that was a culture shock for us AND them. It started when their executives came out for a meet and greet and they got taken on a Harbour Cruise, trips to the Blue Mountains and so on, in return when ours went over there they got taken squirrel hunting. yeeh hah.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

1 minute ago, The White Rabbit said:

To continue on an Australian theme, there's one picture I've been wanting to post for a few days since the comments about the size of the country. A bit late to the party, sorry but I have it now... 

Australia-size.jpg.de4b27af07cee5fda9ede480ab34d92a.jpg

In fact New Zealand is directly opposite Spain on the globe. The only land exactly opposite the UK is a tiny Island in the Southern Ocean south of New Zealand called Antipode Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes_Islands

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1