Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. New car collected and I'm well satisfied, in fact the only thing I don't like is the darkened back windows but I'm willing to put up with those. Best thing from my point of view is the ample footroom, plenty for my size elevens. Another feature I like is a deep compartment under the boot floor. It might be possible to stand the rollator in it and put the parcel shelf down. Testing that is a job for the morning.

Was it the Zafira you got, Phil?

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

the only thing I don't like is the darkened back windows but I'm willing to put up with those.

All of our recent cars have had darkened rear windows. They don’t impair driving visibility but do make it a bit harder for anyone looking in to see anything on the back seats.  That is harder, not impossible. Or is it an aesthetic thing, dark windows on a light car? My car is black paintwork with dark obscured glass in the rear. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. New car collected and I'm well satisfied, in fact the only thing I don't like is the darkened back windows but I'm willing to put up with those. Best thing from my point of view is the ample footroom, plenty for my size elevens. Another feature I like is a deep compartment under the boot floor. It might be possible to stand the rollator in it and put the parcel shelf down. Testing that is a job for the morning.

Yeti has tinted back windows.

I noticed them when I got the car, after time I got used to them!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Was it the Zafira you got, Phil?

No, the insurance paid up quicker than expected so I had a bit more money to spend on a replacement. The new car is a Nissan Note with twelve months MoT and has all the extras. This because it was registered in January which is a good time of year to buy a car as few people are buying cars and you can get a good deal. The darkened windows are part of that as are such things as picnic tables for the rear seat passengers. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355414574592

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Yaris I bought last autumn has darkened windows at the back.  I have found I can see out of the back very well, in fact far better than my previous Yaris which also had dark glass.

I thnk the newer dark windows are perhaps a bit more "see through" than earlier ones, especially from the inside looking out.  You still can't see the inside of the back of the car at all well from the outside.

David

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It's quite cloudy and mild with a strong wind, during the night there was enough noise to wake me several times until I got my earplugs in my ears, then it was OK.  This morning's usual jobs have been done. The new bits of sealant around the bath seem to have dried correctly, of course there is one small bit I missed.  It may get done today... or tomorrow.

As I am visiting the hospital this afternoon I am intending to have a quiet morning doing a few small bits and pieces and in due course enjoying a coffee before having an early lunch.

Then I hope that this evening I will relax.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, didn't wake up until 08:15 so a bit of a rush. But it did mean that I got almost eight hours sleep in all, only a couple of interruptions, one from bladder control and the other from Arthur Itis when I had to break out the Nurofen.  This morning I will be loading the car with the bits and pieces that I like to carry in the car, torch, ice scraper, microfibre cloth etc.  

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

One of my Freelanders had an occasional refuse to start. Wait a while and it would start. When it did its fail to start at home I called out the Lamd Rover Rescue people. The chap arrived and said that it was almost certainly an earth fault, would probably take 30 secinds to sort. Half an hour later after bypassing loads,of sensors with tiny jump leads , he identified an intermittent fault on the starter motor. This was replaced next day. 

It would have been your doo-dad.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from the Charente.  Trainspotting to be done today plus a bit of shopping. 

We went shopping yesterday and visited various shops in Niort and ended up having a good Chinese buffet.  Not a bad day in all. On a rather different not

I am thoroughly enjoying paying visits to to a bald Eagle nest coutesy of YouTube.  

They are fabulous to watch.  The female, Jackie has just laid three eggs and is currently incubating then whilst sitting in several inches of snow.  Las years eggs didn't hatch so I hope that they have better luck this year.

Jamie

I periodically see Wedgetail Eagles across the back paddock from here, spiralling upwards, three or four of them just going round and round as they go higher and higher. They are bald-eagle sized birds  but I never have my decent camera  handy when I spot them and they just come out as specks in my phone camera, or just square pixels if I zoom in.

I'll never forget coming upon one feeding on roadkill on the  side of the road to Cradle Mountain in Tassie. It ignored the car as we crept past it, it was seriously huge, like a border collie with 6 foot wings outspread to stop us stealing its wallaby bits.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6