Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It was misty and drizzling when I got up, the sun has now broken through but I doubt it will last, the forecast is for cloud and a little rain on and off.  I had a good sleep and am just about ready to face the world.

There will be a quick trip to a shop and possibly a look at the beach.

The rest of the day will probably include looking at some old photos, after that I haven't yet made up my mind.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

That is a local reference. The council installed some sort of umbrellas on Sugar Beach and there was some sort of controversy. I've never been there, so I don't have a reference.  I'm not sure if it's a metric or imperial unit.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.6428367,-79.3672609,3a,57.6y,254.76h,91.96t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipMueUKMPXLrIBv7lVS6MQfWw7cYTzWSmzrUgfby!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMueUKMPXLrIBv7lVS6MQfWw7cYTzWSmzrUgfby%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya250.49146-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352?entry=ttu

And an article about same .

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/city-hall/costly-sugar-beach-umbrellas-defended/article_c9b0dae6-63bf-54d3-8624-d2328b82eff2.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This makes me wonder if Britons should get used to snow and the Cornish Riviera* might be consigned to the past.

CNN: Critical Atlantic Ocean current system is showing early signs of collapse, prompting warning from scientists

* Not the named express of the Great Way 'Round.

We are a long way north and at this latitude we should expect a lot of snow in the winter. If the Gulf Stream were to stop North West Europe is likely to experience some very cold winters.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept very well last night, about 7.5 hours sleep in all. A package arrived this morning containing a pair of neoprene knee supports, which I will be trying on later. Another muggatee and then I will be studying the owners manual. Be back later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept very well last night, about 7.5 hours sleep in all. A package arrived this morning containing a pair of neoprene knee supports, which I will be trying on later. Another muggatee and then I will be studying the owners manual. Be back later.

Do neoprene knee supports come with an owners manual too?

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The photo at the head of the article looks more like a Noch "Beach Scene" catalogue illustration!

Prototype for everything…

• Agree 5
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

The nearest Washington to me is just across the River Tyne in County Durham, not much over half an hour away.

David

Unlike many English place names like York, Newcastle and Richmond etc, there is absolutely no place in any of Australia called Washington.  

Although Ted Cruz did once confuse WA (Western Australia) with Washington when he arced up on Twitter  after reading  a story about WA Covid lockdowns.

Here he would be classed as an idiot, in his natural environment they let him have access to large guns.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good dafternoon everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. This is the first time we've had breakfast in bed since new years eve! Anyway, once up I went straight outside to do some work in the garden, lots of tidying up to do as well as some dead heading. I've already taken a wheelbarrow full of cuttings to the green bin. I'm currently sat on the bench under the workshop window having a well earned muggertea and listening to music. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Do neoprene knee supports come with an owners manual too?

I suspect they do. I bought some ankle strapping last year and the supplied instructions were very useful on how to apply and use them, and for how long etc. Also washing instructions. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Our shopping has been delivered.  There were quite a lot of items we hadn’t ordered or been charged for. Aditi noticed before the driver had departed so,was able to return them. 
The rain hasn’t appeared so,we are going for a walk. Hopefully we will have the energy to get up the hill at Hyde Hall otherwise we will be admiring the winter gardens and the geese.  There should be loads of spring flowers at the top.  There may be lunch or at least afternoon tea too.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

This  particular Brit downunder - 1 star - which I gave him  because he did at least mention how clean the place is. 

I think these people set out to be annoying as they probably get more views (and money) that way. Like the American woman who makes videos,of how to make British Tea .

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Like you can get in the UK"  - stay in the &*&$ UK

There are loads of videos of just about every nation complaining about what they can’t get in the UK. Australian colleagues used to moan about lack,of pumpkins outside of Halloween!

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think these people set out to be annoying as they probably get more views (and money) that way. Like the American woman who makes videos,of how to make British Tea .

What does she prefer. A microwave or a pressure cooker?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Eye checks.. completed successfully!

As it happens I once was the speaker after the Keynote Speaker t an International Event at the QE2 Exhibition Centre in London. The Keynote speech was from a US General... my intro went...

"Thanks General your desk is in Washington DC?"  "Yes" was his reply.. 

"Well I am from a little Village not far from Washington CD".. much laughter and applause! Phew.. got away with that one!

Great time was had but I had to dodge some  very leading questions about performance/protection etc on the UK Challenger 2 MBT... 

Baz

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10

53 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

He's not an unlikeable chap in his UK videos, but I just wonder  what is the point in travelling  12000 miles just to hunt out English food and English cars? He has a large subscription base which I assume are mainly UK subscribers, and going by the comments they seem to revel in confirming that Australia is indeed rubbish based on the fact that we don't do cod and chips like you can get in Yorkshire. In fact we don't even have cod. so we suck..  And we are all still convicts, which is always hilarious and brilliantly original.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

There are loads of videos of just about every nation complaining about what they can’t get in the UK. Australian colleagues used to moan about lack,of pumpkins outside of Halloween!

And probably beetroot.

But there is a difference in complaining about what you can't get (ie "you cant get Yorkshire  tea in Australia*" , "they don't do a Cumberland  pork sausage.." etc etc) and setting up some kind of  "comparison"  which is obviously going to end up that you decide that what you are used to is definitively   better,  just "because".

I've never personally had a full English breakfast. Pubs and cafes here back in the day before we had to have salad with everything  did offer a "Mixed Grill" ( @Ozexpatriate can confirm!) which was probably the closest to it  but had lamb chops instead of that black sausage thing, but again no Australian has toured the UK with a youtube audience in tow in an attempt to compare "Mixed Grills".

*You CAN get Yorkshire tea in the major supermarkets, I just used that as an example because I' don't know what teas we DON'T get here, "I dont know what I dont know"  if you know what I mean..)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

He's not an unlikeable chap in his UK videos, but I just wonder  what is the point in travelling  12000 miles just to hunt out English food and English cars? He has a large subscription base which I assume are mainly UK subscribers, and going by the comments they seem to revel in confirming that Australia is indeed rubbish because we don't do cod and chips like you can get in Yorkshire. In fact we don't even have cod. so we suck.

Tell him not to come to NE Scotland then, we don't do Cod in the chippy here either, just Haddock in a fish supper.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

The nearest Washington to me is just across the River Tyne in County Durham, not much over half an hour away.

David

And that is the one we’ve trekked to recently - ironically BiL lives in Seattle WA although he had moved out before the in laws moved to Tyne & Wear

• Like 15

44 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've been watching a Brit youtuber who has managed to get  a sponsor to gift him a trip to Western Australia and he's uploaded a couple of videos so far.  The first couple have been his quest to find Fish And Chips and a Full English Breakfast in order to compare them with what he gets  in the UK. Here's a tip - if you want Fish and Chips and Full English breakfasts  "Like you can get in the UK"  - stay in the &*&$ UK! 

I think you’re missing the point of my post, Chimpey. I wasn’t complaining that I can’t get X or Y in Switzerland, but that the takeaways that Switzerland does have are pretty dire.

With Switzerland not having had an imperial past, I don’t expect the sort of takeaways that the UK has - takeaways that draw upon Britain’s Imperial heritage. But the takeaways that have sprung from the various waves of Gastarbeiter  that have come to Switzerland (Italians, Turks, etc) really aren’t that good. For the most part “it fills a hole” is the best you can say of the food.

The menus are boring and predictable, but I suspect this is down to catering to the average Swiss who, until not that long ago, was terribly unadventurous (and timid) when it came to food (I remember reading a recipe for an “authentic Indian curry“ from a Swiss magazine from the 1980s, which required you to add a total of half a teaspoon of curry powder to the ingredients [and, yes, the recipe also included sultanas!]).

Interestingly, there are quite a few Thai Restaurants in Switzerland (a few being almost as good as those in Bangkok), presumably because Thailand is a very popular holiday destination for the Swiss and quite a few Swiss men have married Thais.

What I would love to see would be the Swiss equivalent of a Rosticceria. A Rosticceria is not a “takeaway” in the traditional sense of serving fast food (burgers, fries, pizza, stir fries), but more of a restaurant without tables.  

In Italy, the Rosticceria prepares the sort of dishes that are served at a good Italian restaurant and these are quickly snapped up by those Italians who want to have restaurant quality food, but for various reasons do not want to, or cannot go to, a restaurant for their meal. One of the Rosticceria near where I lived in Bologna was so renowned for its Lasagna that you had to reserve your portions in advance; without a reservation the chances of you turning up (even at opening time) and getting some were slim to none!

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think you’re missing the point of my post, Chimpey.

No, I just took the liberty of you mentioning takeaway food to pin my rant on.

I was worried that If I'd just started spouting it out of nowhere based on nothing I'd be like the ER equivalent of the old drunk bloke  sitting in the corner of the bar that always seems to latch on and emit 3 minutes of nonsense at you   when you go and order a shout.. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Funny 8