Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

This morning's post seems to have vanished into the dark matter of cyberspace.  

May I repeat my greetings for Moanday, Bin-day and what ever else it is for you and wish you all the best.  It is make-data-readable day here with the book and there's a lot of other "paperwork" to be done for clubs, various and in pursuit of my pension funds.  

But first it's Muggercoffy.  

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

if you have to ask, you can’t afford it“  and that’s before you get to the fact that the suit is completely handmade and tailored to fit you like a glove, flatter you and wear well. The tailoring is by craftsmen who maintain a very small, very select, client list and who are paid handsomely for their efforts

And then theres this rich bloke.

image.png.fbf91a21edab45ef311848c0f6d1b3b4.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This island was once British but in 1667 they done a swap with the Dutch, for Manhattan island. The Dutch thought they got the best of the deal because at the time it was the source of most of the worlds nutmeg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_(island)

As a coincidence I was only yesterday reading about how the British East India Company was a massive fan  of "blowing from a gun" (ie tying someone to the mouth of a cannon and then setting it off, presumably  to see what happens).

I imagine that their "Rate My Employer"  reviews back in the day  would have been an interesting read.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is the chandelier about to fall?  Or have the paratroopers arrived via the ceiling?  Why is the woman in the dark red dress, and her male companion, gazing upwards so intently

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Is the chandelier about to fall?  Or have the paratroopers arrived via the ceiling?  Why is the woman in the dark red dress, and her male companion, gazing upwards so intently

I think thats bloody whats his name? The simpleton  gormless  son  - Eric! And is that Ivanka too?  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think thats bloody whats his name? The simpleton  gormless  son  - Eric! And is that Ivanka too?  

They're probably eyeing up the place and are going to make an offer.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They're probably eyeing up the place and are going to make an offer.

Mate its *($*#   Eric!    He's probably looking up because he's  wondering how walls work.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

As a coincidence I was only yesterday reading about how the British East India Company was a massive fan  of "blowing from a gun" (ie tying someone to the mouth of a cannon and then setting it off, presumably  to see what happens).

I imagine that their "Rate My Employer"  reviews back in the day  would have been an interesting read.

The Wikipedia article mentions a number of things that did go wrong during executions . The East India Company  would appear to have chosen it, as being more humane than being flogged to death. 

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Just back from leaving samples of bodily fluids at the doctors.

Yours I hope…..or have you been taking the ‘Hit and Miss’ again! 😆

Edited by Grizz
Auto A.I. Incorrect
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

Sorry Hroth, I just couldn’t resist, my thumbs just seemed to take over. 

Hope that all went well and that you are ok? 

Whatcha planning for lunch? 

I’ve got Curry Sild on rye bread (curried picked herrings). That’s the nice bit. Then I’ve got to take a load of meds, including a ton of Prednisone steroids, which are horrid. 🤮 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Are those in the background trying to avert their gaze from ‘The Man Who Would Be King’??? Or perhaps they are trying to prevent damage to their retinas from exposure to the glow of his nuclear orange tan? 

• Funny 19

39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The Wikipedia article mentions a number of things that did go wrong during executions . The East India Company  would appear to have chosen it, as being more humane than being flogged to death. 

Well thats enlightened. Maybe their "Rate My Boss" reviews would have  given them a thumbs up for that! 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well thats enlightened. Maybe their "Rate My Boss" reviews would have  given them a thumbs up for that! 

Also their equal opportunities slogan would have probably mentioned how it was equally offensive to both Hindu and Moslem employees. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Presumably the East India Company chose the ‘Blowing from a Gun’ method of ‘Punishment as they wished to spare the sensibilities of the bloke who was to carry out the flogging? 

Also if they had more than one poor soul to flog to death on any given day, the ‘flogging bloke’ (for want of a better job title) would be bleedin knackered by the end of it and it would have taken ages. 

Yes how much more efficient and quick it must have been just to turn them into pink mist in a fraction of a second. Plus those in charge would probably have made to use of this activity for the gunners to practice rapid fire reloading. 

But you would still have to give some consideration to where this was to be carried out, as generally you can’t carry out gun or cannon work indoors. Not unless you are planning to couple it with a fairly major remodelling project. You’d need a reasonable distance for the cannon ball to travel, once it had completed its primary purpose. 

Edited by Grizz
I give up this game with predictive text…..
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This island was once British but in 1667 they done a swap with the Dutch, for Manhattan island.

Also Surinam, ceded to the Dutch at the same time.

Most summaries of the Treaty of Breda focus on the swap of Manhattan for Surinam.

In 1667, the Treaty of Breda ended the conflict in favor of the Dutch. The Dutch did not press their claims on New Netherland but did demand control over the valuable sugar plantations and factories captured by them that year on the coast of Surinam, giving them full control over the coast of what is now Guyana and Suriname.

The actual story is more complex. Manhattan would be captured by the Dutch in 1673 but returned to England in the Treaty of Westminster (1674).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

They were looking up for divine intervention and a bolt of lightening would hit the highest point........................................

• Like 1
  • Funny 12