RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that it depends upon the model. The Viewt (the Jag Mk II tribute) costs ¥2.25 million in Japan so about £17000 or so. A quick Google search revealed a number of Viewts for sale across the globe, but I didn’t drill down for Switzerland.

The appeal of the Viewt got me thinking: how much of a classic car is actually copyrighted? Obviously, the names Jaguar, Rolls-Royce and Bentley are copyrighted up to the hilt and beyond, but what about classic car shapes and design?  With modern 3-D scanning, modern CAD software and modern production techniques. I don’t think it would be all that difficult to create a perfect replica body shell of say, for the sake of argument, a Jaguar Mark II or Bentley S2. I think that with some appropriate tweaks such a body shell could be mounted on a suitable donor chassis and also modified to meet current safety standards, although, (and here I really do not have any idea and I’m wildly speculating) perhaps for very small production run vehicles different standards apply than for large production run vehicles from the big manufacturers).

These essentially identical to original replicas would not be cheap – being a practically bespoke build, but I would view such replicas like I view an artist’s signature model guitar: a way to get a vintage guitar (in all but age) at a less than bank busting prices (my Fender Custom Shop, David Gilmour Black Strat was but a tiny fraction of the $5 million the real David Gilmour Black Strat fetched at auction).

Not everyone has the reddies to buy a 1952 Bentley Continental R

image.png.fa83df09b48807deecf6142db59a74b5.png

(yours for a mere US$ 995,000) But a high quality replica that costs the same as a mid-range BMW would, I think, be sought after.

Were such replicas possible, I would speculate that the replicas could get Bentley, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, et cetera, rather worried as a lot of  potential customers of theirs would turn away from their bloatmobiles for that classic Jaguar/Bentley/Rolls-Royce look.

If a replica of the 1952 Bentley Continental R above was identical in comfort and style to the original, I wouldn’t be particularly fussed if it didn’t have the Bentley name or badge on it. I would certainly get one if I could – although I would insist on it being finished in British Racing Green with red leather interior.

I do believe the Rolls-Royce radiator grill is copyright.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that it depends upon the model. The Viewt (the Jag Mk II tribute) costs ¥2.25 million in Japan so about £17000 or so. A quick Google search revealed a number of Viewts for sale across the globe, but I didn’t drill down for Switzerland.

The appeal of the Viewt got me thinking: how much of a classic car is actually copyrighted? Obviously, the names Jaguar, Rolls-Royce and Bentley are copyrighted up to the hilt and beyond, but what about classic car shapes and design?  With modern 3-D scanning, modern CAD software and modern production techniques. I don’t think it would be all that difficult to create a perfect replica body shell of say, for the sake of argument, a Jaguar Mark II or Bentley S2. I think that with some appropriate tweaks such a body shell could be mounted on a suitable donor chassis and also modified to meet current safety standards, although, (and here I really do not have any idea and I’m wildly speculating) perhaps for very small production run vehicles different standards apply than for large production run vehicles from the big manufacturers).

These essentially identical to original replicas would not be cheap – being a practically bespoke build, but I would view such replicas like I view an artist’s signature model guitar: a way to get a vintage guitar (in all but age) at a less than bank busting prices (my Fender Custom Shop, David Gilmour Black Strat was but a tiny fraction of the $5 million the real David Gilmour Black Strat fetched at auction).

Not everyone has the reddies to buy a 1952 Bentley Continental R

image.png.fa83df09b48807deecf6142db59a74b5.png

(yours for a mere US$ 995,000) But a high quality replica that costs the same as a mid-range BMW would, I think, be sought after.

Were such replicas possible, I would speculate that the replicas could get Bentley, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, et cetera, rather worried as a lot of  potential customers of theirs would turn away from their bloatmobiles for that classic Jaguar/Bentley/Rolls-Royce look.

If a replica of the 1952 Bentley Continental R above was identical in comfort and style to the original, I wouldn’t be particularly fussed if it didn’t have the Bentley name or badge on it. I would certainly get one if I could – although I would insist on it being finished in British Racing Green with red leather interior.

29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

People have been selling replica Carroll Shelby AC Cobras since they stopped manufacturing them. Not to mention Shelby himself.

Oodles of replica 'kit' cars over the years.

Indeed there are and I immediately thought of the C Type Jaguars.   This very interesting and it has to be said, rather depressing article was one of the first hits.  

Looks like the Range Rover replicas* are out then too.      If they get their way, presumably  a number of fine commercially made existing replica vehicles would have to be destroyed if they pursue retrospective application.     Complete Muppetry .... !    

* Not that I'd be wanting one of course, you know me.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another heap of washing to put on this evening 🥴 but first I've got to clear the previous lot from the drying racks. Better get on with it then.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Where is your office Rick?       I often look at the St Ives webcam (when doing my BP) and note there's a Coast Guard station there and I wondered if that was where you went but from that view it doesn't look like it!

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Take it you're in the lookout on the Cape?

Asked and answered.  And I never said a word!  

The watch station is on the seaward side of Cape Cornwall and cannot be seen other than from the sea until you are either immediately below or above it on the Coast Path.  You come down the Cape passing the cottages and continue around the headland where it seems that the path might peter out.  it does not.  It does get quite interesting perched right on the edge not far above wave-reach on Spring tides and there are then over 100 rough rock-hewn steps to climb to the station.  The Coast Path itself climbs further still to the well-known chimney atop the Cape before descending on the landward side past St. Helens Oratory (the ruined chapel) having brought you almost around in a full circle.

The official South West Coast Path route used not to climb to the chimney.  You approached from Kenidjack (seen in my image above) and crossed the lane leading to the Cape cottages before climbing the other side towards Carn Gloose and (eventually) Lands End.  Only a few years ago a new Right of Way was agreed with the landowner to divert the path via the oratory, which is of some historical interest, up and over the top and past the watch station.

In 2022 the South West Coast Path Association - of which I am a long-term member- introduced a "passport" scheme whereby walkers could have a card "passport" stamped by certain businesses and other places along the way. All those businesses involved make some sort of contribution to the Association either by way of donation and / or promoting the fact that they are walker-friendly, or similar.  Since the start of 2024 all NCI Coastwatch stations have also become "stamping points" after a trial last year with just a couple of them was deemed successful.  There is no expectation that a donation would be made in return for a stamp but there is a tin at the door should one wish to add to our coffers.  

NCI is entirely dependant upon volunteers and donations to maintain its "Eyes Along The Shore" ™ and its Declared Facility Status within the wider Search & Rescue network.  "Declared Facility Status" means that each watch-keeper and the station as a whole has been examined and met certain minimum criteria, and those are re-examined every year, enabling HM Coastguard to trust our word and observations without needing further verification.  

Today's training included plotting to paper charts which as a user of OS maps for over 60 years I had no difficulty with at all.  Apparently it completely stumps some folk.  Range, distance and bearing are not at all hard to calculate even with nothing but human-eye observation.  If one also has an aid such as radar or a ship-finder app then it becomes a piece of cake.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I do believe the Rolls-Royce radiator grill is copyright.

I know those cars have many luxurious benefits but the ability to cook toast whilst on the move was not one I had heard of 🤣

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

don't know about now but when  Rolls Royce. Bentley and Cosworth were part of the Vickers PLC empire they were not happy with "copies" and had a very good legal team who could squeeze pips out of stone...

To make a decent "copy" of a quality car does take time, expertise and money .. just like the real ones (in RR and Bentleys' case at least).

Current owners of non copies would not be pleased either.. but..

a 1995 Bentley Mulsarne Turbo RL with17,360 miles on the clock and a FSH is up for sale currently on Ebay at  £36,950..

its the less than 9 mpg you get if your floor it is a concern (but it does have heated rear seats and picnic tables included as "extras")

Baz

PS not interested as its not one of the Green ones with white interiors and red carpets!)

Edited by Barry O
spellung
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I'm beginning to lose the will to live with this fiasco <yawn> <groan> <moan>

Always remember - “Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Asked and answered.  And I never said a word!  

Many years ago I visited when they were undertaking a mass basking shark/dolphin/whale/sea spotting. This was a time when basing shark visitations were more common than now.

They said they had seen nowt.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... tomorrow maybe a trip out to get the ears lowered. I’m getting past the shaggy dog look and moving into the Highland cattle look. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/02/16/covid-and-flu-both-going-down-day-spent-chasing-people/

I went full-yeti years ago. Just have to keep remembering to buy hair bands for my ponytail.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I went full-yeti years ago. Just have to keep remembering to buy hair bands for my ponytail.

Gone are the days when the posties used to leave red elastic bands all over the place...

• Agree 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No rumbles from Arthur Itis this evening and hopefully he's taking the night off. I've been getting the dashcam ready to fit to the car and over the weekend I'll sort out where it can go, The main camera is OK but the rear view camera might be a bit tricky to find the best place. Also where to run the wires where they are unlikely to be snagged.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd like to get an actual properly sourced answer one day because if you think about it, if  brought to it's actual nutty  conclusion ANY  commercial model built as a copy of an existing prototype would be in the same situation, from   rolling stock and locomotives  to   platform seats!

I cannot claim to know the ins and outs of such a situation but IIRC when Jouef were taken to tribunal by Accor Hotel Group - then owners of Wagons Lits and its accoutrements - they were taken to task for trade mark infringement  for unauthorised use of the CIWL logo and crest.

Note: nothing to do with copyright.  Everything to do with trademark infringement.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Facebook - as a resource for obtaining qualified legal advice - 0 stars.   Maybe I should shoot a quick email off to Alina Habba, she'll probably have some spare time on her hands soon.

🤣   🤣  🤣  😂  😂

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I cannot claim to know the ins and outs of such a situation but IIRC when Jouef were taken to tribunal by Accor Hotel Group - then owners of Wagons Lits and its accoutrements - they were taken to task for trade mark infringement  for unauthorised use of the CIWL logo and crest.

Note: nothing to do with copyright.  Everything to do with trademark infringement.  

I recall over forty years ago when Matchbox produced a model van in the Yesteryear series with the royal crest on it but without obtaining permission. When this was pointed out they had to withdraw them from sale and produce them without the crest. Those with the crest that 'escaped' are now sort after.

• Informative/Useful 15