The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I received my Tesco Clubcard vouchers the other day, £20.50 worth. I usually spend them on topping up the petrol but at the moment the car doesn't need topping up. They have made changes and they've ceased giving money off and extra points vouchers. I then noticed that the cash vouchers are valid for two years and can be spent* on a Railcard or on the Channel Tunnel Shuttle. *They also double in value when you spend them with Reward Partners so my £20.50 becomes £41. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 2

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Now they seem to be investigating what look like post apocalyptic planting in rubble. 

Very 'normal' these days in the US desert southwest - think Arizona, Nevada, inland southern California - where plants like these are native species.

Living in those places is not sustainable and green lawns are the absolute worst. In that climate artificial turf is not a great option either - it can get hot and photodegrades emitting polymer fragments into the ground and even the air.

There's a push for similar approaches in the high deserts (chaparral / sage / junipers)  west of the mountains from California to Washington.

Less necessary in an English garden.

It's a hobby horse, but I think the use of potable town water for landscape irrigation should be illegal everywhere. Reclamation of rainwater and even grey water should be a mandatory part of every structure when constructed (as should solar power). If you have enough reclaimed water for your garden and car-washing - fabulous. I wanted to do something like this when I built my house but my builder didn't have the proficiency.

Rainwater reclamation was de rigueur in Australia until town water appeared and corrugated iron water tanks were ubiquitous - still are in rural areas. Much less so now in 'town'. They *should* be everywhere. The humble tank (a big green plastic thing buried in the yard will do) is not that expensive to include when building from new.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

The use of this calendar - up to the present day (29 Pluviose CCXXXI) - has caused many problems…

Wish les hommes des bulots un bon 29 Pluviose CCXXXI for us, would you? 😉

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Less necessary in an English garden

The RHS is very optimistic. No matter what happens they will be there for gardeners. 
It is fairly dry and rarely frosty here, though the last few winters have been record breakingly wet, though not by the standards elsewhere in the UK. Yucca and agave grow here, we don’t have any. We do have a couple of small olive trees. People with plants like tree fern or bananas have to wrap them in fleece over the colder months though. The palm trees on the sea front at Southend must be from one of the more hardy varieties. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Spaniel puppy Poppy was collected last night by son. A few growls, the rabbit telling her where to get off but settling in. ..

When we bought Robbie home our hamster Coco made it quite clear she was senior pet. He never bothered her. Hamsters are amazingly self confdent, convinced they can intimidate much larger creatures. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, on the subject of copyright: why haven’t the corporate lawyers of far-too-many-to-mention companies descended on Amazon, en-masse, like the proverbial ton of bricks?

Because copyright law largely applies to things like the printed word, artistic image, written or recorded music or motion pictures.

There are broadly three categories of intellectual properties:

• Copyright
  • Trademark
  • Invention / patent

Copyright does not apply to shapes where you could argue that function dictates form. A firearms manufacturers like Colt, Glock or Smith and Wesson could hardly argue the shape of a sidearm with barrel, trigger and handle as "copyright".

Nor is shape a protected invention - as Apple found out when they tried to declare that the form factor of the iPhone was an "invention" and that other companies who built rectangular telephones violated their invention. Suits were settled but Apple did not get the "win" they wanted.

Trademark is relevant. Perhaps looking at a manufacturer's trademark notices might be illustrative.  You'll find BMW's here. The "split grill" is not a blanket trademark, but it does appear in detailed descriptions of some models.

There are some specific exceptions. "Artwork" for the appearance of a circuit board or semiconductor layout (which is essentially manufacturing data - a 'blueprint" if you will) can be protected in a manner similar to copyright - but distinctly different as a "mask work".

EDIT

I should add that software is protected under copyright law - the code is an extension of the printed word.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, on the subject of copyright: why haven’t the corporate lawyers of far-too-many-to-mention companies descended on Amazon, en-masse, like the proverbial ton of bricks? Any time you type in a name brand item (such as - for sake of humourous illustration - a Bosch Cordless Bear Tormentor) into the Amazon search engine, amongst the first things that pop up are not only the Bosch item but also many crap Chinese identical-looking copies* of the Bosch machine with names like XFGXZL and STARDRIVER.  And that’s if you’re lucky, many times I’ve looked for a name brand item on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de and Amazon.it, only to be offered just the knock offs (although sometimes you can bypass the Amazon search engine by going to Google and typing in something like “Bosch Cordless Bear Tormentor on Amazon.de” and get a link directly to the item).

I am not sure how not showing you what you searched for is a breach of copyright.

It is just a measure of a cr@p search engine - deliberately designed thus  or though incompetence.  

Amazon, Ebay, Google, Yahoo and many other please note.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

It is just a measure of a cr@p search engine - deliberately designed thus  or though incompetence.  

Amazon’s search engine returning lots of things they do sell instead of things they don’t actually sell sounds quite deliberate to me@nd not incompetent. 

• Agree 13

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

… I was quickly admitted and prepared for the surgery.  I went to sleep just after 5.30 (p.m.) … I was allowed home at 11.00 (a.m.) …

(Italics are my assumptions about times.)

When I had that surgery, I arrived at the hospital at 8 a.m. and was sitting (gingerly) on the couch at home at 12 noon!

Edited by pH
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, pH said:

When I had that surgery, I arrived at the hospital at 8 a.m. and was sitting (gingerly) on the couch at home at 12 noon!

I would expect a similar discharge velocity at US hospitals, but you'd be barely past initial recovery from general anesthesia at that point. Can you urinate? OK, we'll send you home.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The dampness has arrived here as well, Arthur Itis gave notice of its arrival a few hours ago. I didn't go to Tess Coes this afternoon after all, I have sufficient supplies until Monday so I had an eyelid inspection instead.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11