The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was something (there had to be something....) I was really good at, and got a Distinction in finals back when I was a gadget.  I really enjoyed engineering drawing, and it was drawing - I'm pre-CAD!  Didn't use it again really, but when we were doing commissions it helped to be able to read drawings, and spot errors etc, but someone else did the CADs to our instruction.  The best result was Sea Lion.

P1070145.JPG.41bebf75d97213e14dbd92bc55a177bf.JPG

Very nice.. 

My technical drawing was not of the best.. but I can knock out system plans, programme charts , process flow charts with ease...

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A quiet evening with nothing on the telly and I've caught up with Farcebook. I don't feel ready for bed yet so I'm going to do a few sudoku puzzles. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... tomorrow in for nine, then later meeting (I trust) with students who have been habitually absent. If they don’t I move to get them removed. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/02/19/covid-nothing-new-nor-in-politics-nor-in-the-world/

Here you go John , show em you aint joking .

changemymind.jpg.6443ebe31f094172c1d81acbabc33f04.jpg

• Like 14

19 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

a @monkeysarefun Electric Horse Repellent

18 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Would that be the Model A - to repel electric horses or the Model B - powered by electrickery to repel horses? 

"Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

An electric horse would be way beyond Rick Deckard's means. It would be much coveted.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

An electric horse would be way beyond Rick Deckard's means. It would be much coveted.

One of Phillip K Dick's masterpieces.

Unusually, the film adaptation by Ridley Scott* - although only vaguely similar to the novella - was definitely a masterpiece as well (Bladerunner, if you didn't know already).

I have most of PKD's work - including 5 volumes of collected short stories - and (I would argue) one of the hallmarks of his work is how he subtly bends perception of reality.

I once made the mistake of reading 3 volumes of his short stories in a single sitting and at the end of the session I was somewhat disoriented and disconnected for about half-an-hour or so until my brain caught up with the fact that I was no longer immersed in these subtly different and somewhat disorienting and sometimes disturbing worlds.

I read an awful lot of science-fiction when I was younger, mostly "proper" science fiction (by "proper" I mean work that takes existing scientific fact and extrapolates it to the future or asks the question "if X was possible, what would society look like/do?"), although I did read some "space opera" (things along the lines of "Star Cadet Chimpy and the venomous electric horses of Mars"). 

The 50s, 60s and 70s were certainly the golden age for science fiction writing, with numerous memorable (and frequently in many ways influential) short stories, novellas and books being published. Things like:

For I have no mouth, but I must scream.

A boy and his dog.

Foundation.

Stranger in a strange land.

I, robot.

The Andromeda strain.

And so on.

There were also quite a few attempts (sometimes successful) at bringing "proper" science-fiction to TV – such as with the Twilight Zone and The Andromeda Strain.

And now what do we have? Endless very bad adaptations of comic book stories – frequently  (badly) written to push the Hollywood agenda du jour. And in today's Topsy Turvy World, if a film or TV series gets slated on "Rotten Tomatoes" (or similar) by the viewing public it's not the fault of bad writing, bad directing, bad casting and all-round general bad filmmaking, it's the fault of the viewer who is  considered by the critics and Hollywood as deficient in a number of important (to them) ways.

A perfect example is the all female remake of Ghostbusters. It was absolutely slated by moviegoers and – of course – the response from the filmmakers (and Hollywood) was that this was due to the fact that all the movie viewers were bigoted ignorant sexist pigs. Although, in reality, the film was badly written, badly cast and badly directed (There is a very entertaining video on YouTube that shows - through the use of film clips - how the original Ghostbusters was able to provide wonderfully comic moments with the minimum of effort and dialogue, something that the all female Ghostbusters reboot failed to do with loads of dialogue and lots of effort).

* Ridley Scott has the distinction of having made two of the best (and most influential) Sci Fi films of all time: the aforementioned Blade Runner and Alien.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I too have been a voracious reader of SF and Fantasy. My leanings in the SF world tended towards the space opera side of things but I did enjoy Asimov, Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke books as well as the likes of James Blish, JG Ballard. Later SF writers included Ben Bova, Greg Bear, Alistair Reynolds, Neil Asher, CJ Cherryh and so on. Basically, between the ages of 8 and 18 I was getting the maximum 4 books a week from Paddock Wood library. When I got to be around 16, I got a library membership in Tonbridge too, and so was able to get books from a wider range (in addition to the Paddock Wood ones). It's a wonder I got any school work done = but then there was not a lot of telly, and the choice of what telly there was belonged strictly to my parents; if they did not want to watch, the telly went off. And by the time I was mid-teens, the thought of watching another excruciating sitcom was too much for me anyway. We're talking Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em, Dad's Army, Last of the Summer wine, Are you being served? To my mind all shows that well outstayed their welcome; the original good ideas ran out and the show started to revolve around a silly stunt or contraption. (not sure about the first of these - not sure I ever liked that show).

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Today’s weather is pretty much like yesterday, one minute it’s sunny, the next overcast and looks as if it’ll chuckitdarn any minute. I’m in two minds as to whether I should attempt to do some gardening, or finish putting the last few boxes that are still in the cellar away. I’ll make a muggertea in a few minutes to take with me and decide once that’s done. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3