RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I'll leave you to check the workings-out for the Voyager trajectories then and you can report back and compare your answers with NASA's ..... 

I note from this link that they assessed more than 10000 trajectories during the mission planning.      I would have enough  trouble picking 1 from 10!

That’s not rocket science … just basic map reading skills.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, PupCam said:

My emphasis, I'll leave you to check the workings-out for the Voyager trajectories then and you can report back and compare your answers with NASA's ..... 

As soon as something like that is claimed for science, it won’t be long before the mathematicians claim it. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

As soon as something like that is claimed for science, it won’t be long before the mathematicians claim it. 

Then it won't be long before it is part of the infant school curriculum (thinking back to the days when the Venn diagram left Uni and became part of our senior school maths club (too much for the Maths class) and by the time I was in College it was being dished up to the Infants).

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PupCam said:

This should be all we need then  🤣

image.png.7f5f4e92f6122f687e0a439eab6c40aa.png

Whatever book you use the answer is still 42.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
Just now, BoD said:

Whatever book you use the answer is still 42.

No it's actually 27which is the magic number in inches for a crate from an unmentionable to fit through an exhibition hall single doorway.

Jamie 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My BMI according to the various leaflets isn’t healthy and I need to get taller.  

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition, but their racks might be useful for BMI reduction....

@polybear  Good to see you back!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

'It seems my history and geography knowledge is expanding as family members dig up the past. On one side of the family, it seems I hail not only from East Anglia, both Norfolk and Suffolk, but as far afield across the norvvern border to a couple of Clans. On top of that, there are (unconfirmed) links to early monarchy but not Alfred, which seems odd as I keep burning or nearly burning the toast!

It's surprising what you can discover when doing your family history. In my family tree I have a spy, a pirate captain and a current cabinet minister is a distant cousin.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A CURRENT cabinet minister?  Thats something to keep quiet about!

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If it is the one you mentioned before then no longer current. 

I get confused when the cabinet room has a revolving door.😁

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No further blood in my urine but still taking a PSA test as a precaution. Also I'll be asking  for a sound scan of the kidney with the stone, that is the most likely candidate.

• Friendly/supportive 19

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have toad-in-the-hole for dinner tonight, it only requires five minutes in the air fryer. Talking of which on BBC breakfast this morning they were talking about what some people use an air fryer for.  Cooking broccoli and eggs but some people use one for making tea!

I would love to know how that works.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Grizz might find the attached interesting.

derailment technical reports

srt track

Steve Munro is Toronto's top transit fan.

Last July one of Toronto's rapid transit lines suffered a notable derailment. This is an orphan line that has passed its best before date and was due to be replaced by the end of last year. It ran on a linear induction motor with the induction part between the rails. Part of the cover rose up and derailed the last car of a train. Steve has been trying to get the reports on maintenance that was (not) done. (2nd link)

If anyone gets excited, ask and I'll bore you with political history.

Many parts of the Toronto subway now have slow orders because of out-of-spec track.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

I will try to remember someone's distinction between Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Science Fiction assumes an extension of our current science with possible future discoveries. Fantasy makes an assumption contradictory to our current beliefs e.g. magic works.

The better fantasy follows rules (that they may have made up) like "using mind magic to lift things takes as much effort as lifting them with your arms."

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1