The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Mrs Grizz had a ‘nearly falling off unpleasantness incident’ from one of her field ornaments on Wednesday. Fortunately some years ago I insisted that ‘we’ bought her one of those protective ‘explosive vest thingies, which is attached by lanyard to the saddle, which then explodes and inflates simultaneously the very second your butt leaves the saddle and you become airborne and the lanyard reaches its full length. 

Apart from superficial grazes, bumps and bruises, it has so far prevented the worst of possible out comes…..so far, however twice Mrs Grizz has forgotten to disconnect the lanyard before dismounting, resulting in her jumping out of her skin and said field ornament involuntarily producing the product that is good for the roses. 

Just don't try this . 

• Like 4
  • Funny 15

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Main concern going by the media coverage was not damage to cars, houses or whatever, but it might disrupt the Taylor Swift concert going on as I type this. 

The economic boom associated with a Taylor Swift concert is well documented.

Hosting a Taylor Swift "Eras" Tour concert has almost the same financial impact to a local economy, measured by increased spending on hospitality (rooms, short-term rentals, restaurants etc) than hosting an NFL Superbowl. (There are a lot more "Eras" tour events than Superbowls.)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

John CB's experiences of student engagement (failure of) continue to amaze me, I wonder if the persons paying their tuition fees are aware of that behaviour?

We're all paying their tuition fees as they've taken out loans. If they don't pay them back we'll still pay for them as they'll be written off.

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

45 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The economic boom associated with a Taylor Swift concert is well documented.

Hosting a Taylor Swift "Eras" Tour concert has almost the same financial impact to a local economy, measured by increased spending on hospitality (rooms, short-term rentals, restaurants etc) than hosting an NFL Superbowl. (There are a lot more "Eras" tour events than Superbowls.)

Here’s one effect of her forthcoming concerts in Vancouver:

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2024/02/swift-sails-bc-ferries-adds-22-extra-sailings-for-taylor-swifts-vancouver-concert-dates/

22??!! and they’re not small boats:

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/bc-ferry.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here in the early to mid-70's we had non-stop Vietnam  war coverage.  A  ballot system of picking conscripts  based on birth dates that operated like a bizarre bingo game that you didn't want to win picked off older brothers, neighbours and so on. Until the Labor government won and pulled us out  there was   no end in sight to it so the chance of getting sent over there once we hit adulthood sure focussed our mind on war and sh!t!

Is there a more powerful anti-war song?

We managed to avoid all that thanks to Harold Wilson telling Johnson to put his request for British troops where the sun don't shine. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... email from Amazon – “You're receiving this email because you are purchasing on Amazon in large amounts. Are you purchasing for business?”  Errrrrrmmmm …. Am I really buying that much? ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/02/23/covid-treatment-figures-resits-and-maybe-a-memoir/

To carry on with one of today’s themes, John:

<< Dear Amazon, none of your [insert favourite, pithy or appropriate profanity] business >>

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Premium

ION a very interesting talk at SEERS last night from one of the engineers on the construction of the Docklands Light Railway. The ancient viaducts of the Greenwich Railway were only strong enough to carry a single articulated DLR train and later had to be strengthened.

• Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a telephone chat with the doctor early this afternoon and she prescribed a course of antibiotics. Nitrofurantoin in slow release capsules to be taken twice a day at evenly spaced times (12 hours apart) so I'll start the first one about 8. As for the reason for the antibiotics the swelling has continued to reduce and more important there's no sign of blood in my pee.

Very, very different to what my GP would do.

When I had a similar problem, he got me into the office, had a quick rummage around, did a finger-stick blood draw to obtain an instant CRP* value, then - as antibiotics were indicated,  got a clean-catch urine sample (for a culture and sensitivity analysis**). Blood for a PSA test was not done - having had one recently. Having had this problem before (and “being in the business”) meant that this particular visit was basically a confirmation-with-prescription of my self diagnosis (which was 100% accurate! Go Team!).

My GP has a mini laboratory and can do quite a lot of haematology and biochemistry analyses in the house, which means you’re usually have no more than 30 minutes between blood being drawn and the doctor getting the test results.

This might be of interest - https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/18946-nitrofurantoin-capsules-or-tablets

Anyway, good to see you started on treatment. Do you have a follow-up appointment booked?

* C-reactive Protein, which goes up when somebody has an infection.

** A urine sample is taken to show what bugs are growing in it (culture) and what antibiotics kill the bugs growing in it (sensitivity)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

I think they still call it “Do as you are fudging well told or you will fail” or perhaps I am suppressing someone’s rights to be a lazy tw£t ????.

…..and I can say that because I’ve been on London’s Premier Transport Organisation’s inclusivity training course titled “Why I am personally to blame for everyone else not being a multi millionaire and running the planet”…..and I’ve got a certificate and everything!!!!!! 🤣

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

The bonkers thing about the Vietnam war was the idea that Vietnam would be a Communist Chinese puppet, ignoring the fact that Vietnam had been deeply suspicious of China and mindful to avoid becoming Chinese for centuries before Europeans turned up in Indochina, let alone Americans. Within a few years of getting rid of America the Vietnamese fought a war with China and put them back in their place. The Vietnamese must rank as one of the great martial people of the 20th century having beaten the French, the Americans and the Chinese (albeit at dreadful human cost).

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

John CB's experiences of student engagement (failure of) continue to amaze me, I wonder if the persons paying their tuition fees are aware of that behaviour?  I was paid to go to college as a Cadet so it was rather different - fail to perform meant fail to be employed, simple as!

The Engineering Students that attend the same College (no names.....) I mentioned earlier are Apprentices in employment.  I'm very reliably informed that NONE** of them fail the course.....apparently that's bad cos' the College is paid for them to pass....

**Unless they fail to attend.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2