The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Of course once high enough up in any given large organisation it is all about plausible deniability. And very powerful lawyers. The corporate front of never ever ver being wrong. No matter what. 

“Don’t tell me about things, just do things”….because if I know about you doing the things, then I’ve either got to tell the truth or lie. “ Whereas if I don’t actually know then in comes plausible deniability.

It’s like if you are going to commit crime and you really want to get away with it for the rest of your life……commit BIG crime. Steal REALLY big. Kill MILLIONS of people. 

Mismanage Global Economies and Global Banks….

Embezzle Billions and bribe accordingly. 

There will always be someone to help you, usually from within, on the normal face of it, a perfectly respectable and law abiding mega organisation. Who own countries and people who make problems go away. 

Some bank somewhere will be willing to help you. It’s only relative to scale. 😆

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Grizz said:
30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You have 60 "M"s?!?!  

We are up to I think 9?   - and thats with skipping  M number  6, which  is being built ATM.  

Yeah we do but lots of them are clustered and some are very short.

We are a crowded island covered in humanity, bitumen and the occasional c0ckwomble.  

The humanity is now conditioned at birth to regard the use of tin boxes upon bitumen as its right and gets very frustrated when there is inadequate bitumen for the purpose and / or when others are propelling their tin boxes at a slower rate than "super-hare".  

There is a competition in progress.  In perpetual progress.  The winner is the person who presents with the least-effective manhood but most-expensive and fastest tin box.  One is in inverse proportion to the other.  

Not all M-numbers are in use.  There are more than 60 "M"s but some have much longer numbers like M275 or even A27(M); is the latter an "M" or is it not?  The answer is both yes and no at the same time.  Confusing?  

Some are, as Grizz notes, ridiculously short such as the M26 which is really only a link-road of a few hundred metres between the M25 and M21.  

That which qualifies for an "M" and the road rules applicable thereto differs between UK and Australia, not unreasonably, but there are close similarities.  An "M" is a Motorway in the UK but a "Freeway" in Australia yet the latter are not numbered with an F-prefix.  In the UK they are sometimes regarded as the safest roads because traffic largely travels at similar speed without frequent deviations, entries or exits.  In theory at least.  In Australia they seem to be regarded as unlimited-speed playgrounds for those (aforesaid) with inadequate manhood and egos off the other end of the scale.  They can also be car parks in both nations.  The South Eastern Freeway into Melbourne is still often referred to as the SE Car Park" so regular and so severe are the jams.  There are parts of the UK motorway system where you are lucky to be travelling above 20mph with any hint of clear road; it only takes the intervention of one (aforesaid) C0ckwomble to bring everything to a grinding halt.  

If I have to drive to London I have two practical choices eastwards from Exeter.  The A303 (which eventually joins the M3 for its last few miles) is slower, can suffer long queues at the roundabouts and at Stonehenge but forces me to concentrate and actually drive.  It is fewer miles and usually quicker than the M5 - M4 option up the motorways despite those having mostly a 70mph speed limit against 40 - 50mph on the A303.  The motorways can lull any driver into a false sense of security.  Mile after mile at a fairly steady speed can turn on the "autopilot" and can certainly encourage use of such things as cruise control. But the driver must remain vigilant.  Too often they fail in that and have to take some form of evasive action so late that it can affect others around them.  

I am far from alone here in being a very experienced motorist of many years and miles.  I still prefer the "old roads" just because I have to think every inch of the way.  But sometimes they are not an option.  Or not a sane one.  West of Exeter the only realistic option is to sit on the A30 and plough along.  It is near-Motorway standard much of the way to West Cornwall now.  It could even become the A30(M) with a little more refinement.  But that cannot come about.  

That (M) implies that you will encounter fewer sharp bends/ steep gradients, there will be emergency phones and a hard shoulder (or at the least emergency refuges at intervals) but the road is not open to traffic not able to use an M-prefix road such as bicycles and tractors.  There is no reasonable alternative to the A30 therefore to "upgrade" it to the A30(M) would inconvenience the many farmers who use it and the fairly small number of cyclists and other non-Motorway users.  If the signs are blue then it's a Motorway; if they are green it is a Primary Route but not a Motorway.

Australia is the same.  In Australia all traffic is permitted on certain designated freeways because there is, in a vast open land of sometimes nothing at all, no other route available.  Signs advise this where it applies.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We are a crowded island covered in humanity, bitumen and the occasional c0ckwomble.  

The humanity is now conditioned at birth to regard the use of tin boxes upon bitumen as its right and gets very frustrated when there is inadequate bitumen for the purpose and / or when others are propelling their tin boxes at a slower rate than "super-hare".  

There is a competition in progress.  In perpetual progress.  The winner is the person who presents with the least-effective manhood but most-expensive and fastest tin box.  One is in inverse proportion to the other.  

Not all M-numbers are in use.  There are more than 60 "M"s but some have much longer numbers like M275 or even A27(M); is the latter an "M" or is it not?  The answer is both yes and no at the same time.  Confusing?  

Some are, as Grizz notes, ridiculously short such as the M26 which is really only a link-road of a few hundred metres between the M25 and M21.  

That which qualifies for an "M" and the road rules applicable thereto differs between UK and Australia, not unreasonably, but there are close similarities.  An "M" is a Motorway in the UK but a "Freeway" in Australia yet the latter are not numbered with an F-prefix.  In the UK they are sometimes regarded as the safest roads because traffic largely travels at similar speed without frequent deviations, entries or exits.  In theory at least.  In Australia they seem to be regarded as unlimited-speed playgrounds for those (aforesaid) with inadequate manhood and egos off the other end of the scale.  They can also be car parks in both nations.  The South Eastern Freeway into Melbourne is still often referred to as the SE Car Park" so regular and so severe are the jams.  There are parts of the UK motorway system where you are lucky to be travelling above 20mph with any hint of clear road; it only takes the intervention of one (aforesaid) C0ckwomble to bring everything to a grinding halt.  

If I have to drive to London I have two practical choices eastwards from Exeter.  The A303 (which eventually joins the M3 for its last few miles) is slower, can suffer long queues at the roundabouts and at Stonehenge but forces me to concentrate and actually drive.  It is fewer miles and usually quicker than the M5 - M4 option up the motorways despite those having mostly a 70mph speed limit against 40 - 50mph on the A303.  The motorways can lull any driver into a false sense of security.  Mile after mile at a fairly steady speed can turn on the "autopilot" and can certainly encourage use of such things as cruise control. But the driver must remain vigilant.  Too often they fail in that and have to take some form of evasive action so late that it can affect others around them.  

I am far from alone here in being a very experienced motorist of many years and miles.  I still prefer the "old roads" just because I have to think every inch of the way.  But sometimes they are not an option.  Or not a sane one.  West of Exeter the only realistic option is to sit on the A30 and plough along.  It is near-Motorway standard much of the way to West Cornwall now.  It could even become the A30(M) with a little more refinement.  But that cannot come about.  

That (M) implies that you will encounter fewer sharp bends/ steep gradients, there will be emergency phones and a hard shoulder (or at the least emergency refuges at intervals) but the road is not open to traffic not able to use an M-prefix road such as bicycles and tractors.  There is no reasonable alternative to the A30 therefore to "upgrade" it to the A30(M) would inconvenience the many farmers who use it and the fairly small number of cyclists and other non-Motorway users.  If the signs are blue then it's a Motorway; if they are green it is a Primary Route but not a Motorway.

Australia is the same.  In Australia all traffic is permitted on certain designated freeways because there is, in a vast open land of sometimes nothing at all, no other route available.  Signs advise this where it applies.  

Here the F5 which was previously the Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne , used to be called "The Deadly Hume" due to all the people who would be killed on it and so on. I t was part of our heritage, sadly lost in an attempt to whitewash its deadliness by renaming it with a happy number 5, the happiest of all the numbers.

There was a band called "The Deadly Hume" I know not what happened to them, perhaps they were compulsorily renamed "The F5" and just vanished due to crowd disappointment?

Re interesting naming rights.

This is what we learned about in history in primary school and now I can  FINALLY put it to use , so it wasn't wasted!  Note, the following is based ENTIRELY on my memory of 3rd grade history that I learned in 1974.  No googling was involved.

Hamilton Hume was an explorer who along with William Hovell was told by the governor( who ever he was at the time)  to head south from Sydney and see what was going on with the rivers  or something because they flowed weirdly and maybe their was a big lake or whatever down there.  So they went southfrom Sydney  and found a lot of things that no one else had seen, and Hume named a whole bunch of it after himself, the Hume reservoir, the Hume Highway the Hume electoral district and many other things.

Hovell just got crap houses named after him and was very ripped off.

Treatment of William Hovell :    0 stars...  UnAustralian!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Does one attempt to sleep the last little bit, shrug it off and get up early or turn the alarm off and sleep in? 

Absolutely go back to sleep every time .

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Truth be told, they were pretty bloody awful. Many here hated the Japanese up until the 1970's, and it was nothing to do with racism.

My dad was like that having served in Burma, he wouldn't even contemplate buying a Japanese car. I wonder sometimes what he'd make of my current car, a Nissan made in Sunderland.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Which of course means that you've now grassed someone up - and depending on who that "someone" is you're either marked accordingly and "sent to Coventry" or alternatively your Career Prospects just reduced to Nil.

Cynical?  Moi?

Quite so, I had a colleague who was extremely racist and politically somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan. But he was the bosses pet so no one dared complain. Then one day he made a racist remark to someone on the other end of the phone, that someone unknown to him being from an ethnic or religious minority. Needless to say he was soon gone. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

I guess in the past we would collectively have based our judgement for measuring a given level of common sense on what used to be described as “What a reasonable person would be likely to believe, understand and or act upon”…..

But there in lies the rub. 

We collectively are no longer dealing with what, in the past, could be generally and fairly acceptably described as ‘Reasonable People’. 

Litigation has come festering in. Now in some cases of death resulting from gross negligence, particularly in the work place, then it was long over due. Real world Consequences to actions or inactions. Fair enough….basically if you are in charge and someone dies and you’ve been making huge profits and cutting safety then you should get what’s coming to you. 

But no win no fee cases are increasingly being settled out of court with little if any real substance because if someone sues you for something you are going to have to pay legal fees either way. 

Corruption of the system to line peoples pockets. Suing someone for PTSD for something someone said to you about your T shirt or something you saw written on someone else’s  T shirt. Or because the film you went to watch didn’t display a warning of something and you have suffered trauma as a result…..etc etc etc…..victim culture. It’s a real money maker. 

Such as this bloke (warning a lot of blood and gore).

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good:

"The body of leading Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny has been returned to his mother, his spokesperson says.

It comes after she had reportedly been told to agree to a "secret" burial, or else he would be buried at the prison colony where he died.

In a post on X, Navalny's spokesperson thanked everybody who had demanded the return of his body.

It is not yet known when the funeral will take place."

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Went to our local craft place to get a birthday present and was prevented from leaving by half a dozen very friendly rescued chickens (rescued last week), who don't yet know that cars hurt. They had to be picked up and carried to safety.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Grizz said:

One of the chooks, Babs, is poorly. She has been lethargic today, however she does at least still munch her fodder.

This is a horrible situation as we don’t know why she is so down. She is the youngest and lowest in the pecking order. I might put her in isolation if things don’t improve. 

You fed her a killer spider - what do you expect??

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Likewise. 

There’s always been adequate warning - thus far - of the need to make the nocturnal dash. But why oh why does Captain Slackbladder* have his way less than an hour before the alarm is due?  

Does one attempt to sleep the last little bit, shrug it off and get up early or turn the alarm off and sleep in? 

* © Blackadder Goes Forth 

I abandoned alarms before lockdown and very glad that I did.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Having to drink plenty of water bladder control are in their element. There's still the odd drop of blood but not too much but I'll contact the GP surgery first thing Monday. At least the swelling is going down and now I can sit on the toilet comfortably.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon

12 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think not but it did land and it did communicate so lets give them 7/10

5 hours ago, Grizz said:

Mmmmmm with all those behind you ought to apply to work for London’s Premier Transport Provider….you’d be a shoe in. 

Go on a ‘how not to staple your own hand to your own desk’ accident prevention training course.On the basis that someone (a manager already did that).

Or drugs awareness in the work place….that was fun. Tripping balls for weeks after that mushroom risotto. 

Or the management and reporting of bullying, harassment and violence in the work place, that when you actually experience it from within, they ignor all their own processes and procedures and withhold details and evidence of criminal activity from Police and other law enforcement agencies as it clashes with political ends. 

But obviously you’d still have to attend the mandatory indoctrination and political reconstruction courses, just to ensure that you are up with the latest preferential league tables. Never mind what to your real job in the meantime, as that comes second. 

Also if you don’t go on those courses….it then becomes a disciplinary matter. Seriously.

5 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

They managed it. But a lot of people were injured unnecessarily. Perhaps that's acceptable, or even necessary, in a time of a war.

Diversity/inclusion? Plenty of wartime propaganda to encourage men to accept women in factories. and for women to accept they could do men's work.  Plenty of talk about the family of the Empire, people of all races and classes, fighting together and pulling together against Hitler and Tojo.

(it's not a good idea to racially abuse a British West Indian who'd volunteered to defend the Mother Country if you want him to lay down his life for Britain -- mind you there was plenty of racist propaganda to make sure everyone hated the Japanese)

Plenty of training films shown to US soldiers, for example, about what Britain would like when they got there ... how culture was different and how to avoid misunderstandings (eg "fags"). 

Information security and governance? Loose lips sink ships. And volunteers who don't understand why you shouldn't share passwords may well let hackers in to cause all sorts of trouble.

As for mandatory courses? Well, a great way for management to protect itself against volunteers who screw up. If they've been sent on a course, and they still act the wrong way and get the organisation into trouble, then the managers have covered their arses.

The trouble is that most of these courses are nugatory in terms of actually training anyone in anything and ultimately they are purely there to  as BB so succinctly put it "... then the managers have covered their arses".  They also have the added benefit of providing plenty of ticks to go in boxes to make jumped-up middle management look as if they've achieved something  (no wonder I always declined "people management" roles!). 

5 hours ago, Grizz said:

Oooooooo I forgot the professionally offended. Woah that was an entire two week training course in its own right. 

However L.P.T.P. called them offended victims. And it came with a hand book.

Which informed you how you could be offended on behalf of someone else, even if you weren’t offended yourself, and how the person you were offended on behalf of didn’t need to be present.
 And further how if you failed to report an incident of offence, or potential offence and it later emerged that you knew about it and failed to report and escalate it….then you could be disciplined for gross misconduct and potentially be dismissed. 

Monitoring of people’s speech, language, use and fail to use pronouns, tone of voice and tone of electronic communication all constantly monitored. Leading to a potential tidal wave of malicious and vexatious grievances whenever subordinates were asked to carry out utterly unreasonable and unacceptable requests….erm like their actual job.

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Which of course means that you've now grassed someone up - and depending on who that "someone" is you're either marked accordingly and "sent to Coventry" or alternatively your Career Prospects just reduced to Nil.

Cynical?  Moi?

But by grassing someone up I'm sure they'd be mightily offended and thus they would have a legitimate reason for invoking the professionally offended grievance procedure   ...........

The content and aims of most of these briefing and training sessions do seem like commonsense much of the time.

But, as has been noted on the internet before, a lot of people do seem to lack common sense.

There's no easy test for who's got commonsense or not, and whether they have the right sort of commonsense for this day and age, and so it's better to treat everyone as if they don't have commonsense. 

But it's not going to be just you, is it? Lots of people will probably say they should be exempted too. Of course, you are a person with commonsense. But how does the RAAF know that? Far easier just to keep giving the briefings. Arses are covered.

But ultimately such a broad brush approach is wasteful of peoples time (time is money), it diminishes respect, is frustrating and as you have already described earlier essentially  just donkey covering and is therefore entirely pointless unless you happen to own the donkey!

A number of organisations I have visited did keep track of "Briefings" & "Clearances" meaning  you were at least only subjected to them once in a time period (1, 2, 3 years etc) otherwise you were escorted at all times by a responsible person, it can be done, it's not that tricky if the organisation CBA.

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I sub contract to a sub contractor who sub-contracts to a certain UK defence company who had a bit of a sticky situation involving brown paper bags and  Saudis. As a result I and my sub-contracting fellows have to undertake a yearly ethics training course. Which is a powerpoint presentation where we get to role-play the various characters. 

"Dianne notices that Bill is sending mysterious emails that contain classified documents  and also has recently bought a Lamborghini.

Should Dianne

A) Ask Bill where he got the money?

B) Tell Stan, her supervisor about her concerns?" 

C ) Ask Bill for a ride in his Lamborghini?"  etc etc ....

All 3 in the order:

C   in order  to get a ride in the Lambo

A  in order to get her hands on some of that money

B  in order to stitch him up and "Do the right thing"

😁

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There are more than 60 "M"s but some have much longer numbers like M275 or even A27(M); is the latter an "M" or is it not?  The answer is both yes and no at the same time.  Confusing? 

Behold!    It's Schroedinger's motorway!

We've got one of those in Puppershire

2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Nasty thing that CP. I caught it off classroom kids and just thought I had a cold, then flu, then I'm dying. The following morning the Doc said I had CP. Decades on I got the shingles jab. Mr Suvvern had to wait a year as he was just underage. It must cost/production over medical concerns that limits age accessibility because Dad was only in his fifties when he had it bad, bad, bad. Not, not, not nice at all, at all, at all.

Hope granddaughter recovers soon.

Does anyone actually understand the logic behind the current Shingles inoculation criteria because this (slightly immune suppressed) Pup doesn't!      As soon as you are 65 you qualify but if you are 65 then you have to wait until 70.  What's that all about?        Which reminds me the pharmacy said it was "quite expensive" @£13 a shot if I wanted to pay for it and not wait.    Seems like a good deal to me, I must go and have it done!  My poor (nearly Centenarian) Mum has just had a dose of it mainly around the eye and it really isn't funny at all.    Fortunately in her case it didn't hang around.      A former colleague (much younger than a 100) had it in and around the eye and he was off work for 18 months and very nearly lost the sight in that eye.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

My dad was like that having served in Burma, he wouldn't even contemplate buying a Japanese car. I wonder sometimes what he'd make of my current car, a Nissan made in Sunderland.

My "Uncle Bob" (actually just a family friend) also served in Burma and was into motorcycles in general, AJS/Matchless in particular (shame he never got to see my AJ).    Imagine his dismay when a spotty 17 year old Alan turned up on a Honda with a big grin on his face.     How was I to know?   He would not entertain the idea of anything Japanese at all to the day he died which I perfectly understand now but must have got increasingly difficult as the 70's and 80's wore on.

ION

More Pergola prep work has been undertaken; mostly disassembly of the next bit and re-locating the new timbers from the storage location (see I didn't mention the S word) to the "Machining workshop" (The G word).

We've decided someone else can cook tonight so we're off down the pub 😀

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17

11 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Unfortunately it seems to have evolved from filtering words ... to become a bit silly and is catching all sorts of innocuous words which are entirely legitimate to be used in polite conversation.

There will be a dictionary to which that the forum moderator has access. Every filtered word has a pejorative context and is a decision, (by implication), made (or allowed) by the forum moderator. The obvious issue with word-matching is that it does so absent context.

It is helpful for intemperate keyboard warriors who forget their "p"s and "q"s.

People can easily circumvent* this with alternative spellings for appropriate application - mostly with special characters to make their meaning clear. Everyone here is a regular. We all know the drill. It is easy to edit a post if you forget that an alternative spelling is required.

* A word that the filter I referred to earlier would not render. One had to spell it something like "circvmvent" due to a 'naughty' word within.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15