RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

COMING SOON TO A TRUSTED RETAILER NEAR YOU

The CCI GmbH TufBear SecuriCake Cake Safe

In collaboration with Zhōngguó běijíxióng chǎnyè, the TufBear SecuriCake Cake Safe is a development of the highly rated Five Jewels of The Mountain Cake Safe - the Cake Safe so safe that it has has never, ever, been breached or broken into.

_7c006491-2daf-48f4-95d9-928170214d39.jpg.34f028a9c984738b1b89a75c88951f55.jpg

Now available in Europe, The CCI GmbH TufBear SecuriCake Cake Safe comes with a lifetime guarantee: "if burglars break into your safe and steal your cake, we'll give you a piece of cake"

CCI GmbH TufBear SecuriCake Cake Safe (analogue edition only £25,450; digital edition only £32,900. Add the auto-scrote disposal unit add-on for only £100 when ordered with a brand-new TufBear SecuriCake Cake Safe).

Protect your cake from unauthorized scoffing!

I see you have a waste disposal problem there. The Sweeney Todd scrote and other undesirables disposal company is what you require. We can discreetly dispose of all such undesirables without leaving a trace. We can also provide the most delicious meat pies.

😈

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

I always found the 'why do you want the job' question to be useful and revealing. I always recommend honesty (noting if you actually do want the job you should make an effort and prepare) and use it to get a feel for whether it is the right organization and role for you. An interview is a two way thing and as much about you deciding whether you want the job. 

Another bit of advice is that the interviewer probably wasn't born yesterday and has probably heard everything before so will identify BS very quickly. Obvious advice I know but I wish I had a pound for every time people gave me what they thought were perfect answers which pushed every button which pretty much got them red lined.

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was advised that leaving a fixed amount to a charity was fine but never leave a percentage. 

This, 100%. Several lawyers have been quite emphatic with this advice and offered horror stories about charities being very aggressive in pursuing their percentage. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, polybear said:

BH....

I've just conducted a highly scientific, technical investigation & examination of the Braun Cutter Head.  Conclusion?  It's bvggered; the centre bit is all stikkyuppy when it shouldn't be.

I've also just discovered I bought it in Sep 2022, not Sep 2023.  Second Conclusion?  Braun will larf at any snottogram and tell me to go foxtrot.  Poo.

Bearing in mind the on/off button is also held in with sellotape it looks like Bear is gonna have to splash a large lump of a Deltic on a new Shaver.  Double Poo.

So Which? Magazine tests are currently being consulted......

BG.

Avoid the stress and wet shave.  I'm still using the same Gillette razor that I  bought over 30 years ago.  I did have trouble sourcing Contour plus blades in the UK  but in France they are still freely available.  

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, pH said:

The interview was a “high stress” one - multiple interviewers, aggressive questioning, questions asked before previous answers had finished etc.

I reckon that the people who devised the “high stress interview” process are the same clowns who believe worthwhile intelligence can be obtained through torture “enhanced interrogation”. As the old adage has it “you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

The interview process for any position with the company I worked-for for three decades was pretty gruelling: candidates would be flown to HQ (where I worked), put up in a decent hotel (usually the Radisson or similar). Then, on the day of the interviews they were expected promptly to turn up at 08:00 at the company and be collected from the front desk and given a visitors pass. Then the mayhem began. Interviews were always one-on-one and were usually 30 to 45 minutes to length - except for me: I got 90 minutes. I did the lunchtime interview.

I’d collect the candidate and I’d walk them to the Director’s Restaurant where there was a table for two awaiting. On the way, we’d chit-chat about inconsequential matters (how was the flight? did you try the muesli at breakfast? That sort of thing). At lunch, they were informed that they could choose what they wanted from the menu* and have a glass of wine as well, if they so wished. Over lunch, they were asked about anything I thought relevant (having carefully read their CV), interspersed with questions about current events, so the interview touched upon more than just “work”.  

And whilst I was the genial host and laid-back interviewer- every single second of lunchtime they were under intense scrutiny. No wonder, when hired, they said my interview was the toughest one they had. For my interview was less about were they qualified to do the job/knew their onions** and more about how were they as individuals in the work environment; outside of the (relatively) black and white of science and medicine, how were their soft skills?  Did they have acceptable table manners (definitely a key to character)? Could they function well in a semi-social environment***

After lunch they were then deposited with another colleague for the first of the afternoon interviews. So for the candidate it was a whole day (08:00 - 17:00) under scrutiny. Stressful? Probably, but realistically so - unlike the situation described by @pH

But it did mean the candidates we did hire could both do the job, fit in and we could unleash them at meetings and conferences without other participants asking “who are these hooligans”. This also meant we had a very low staff turnover.

Win-Win I reckon.

* curly fries, pizza and baked beans were conspicuous by their absence!

** we used a headhunter to provide us with a shortlist of candidates - the headhunters weeding out the unsuitable and unqualified.

*** a lot of serious decision making and planning gets done (or used to) in semi-social settings - coffee breaks, medical conference events and so on (I remember once designing what turned out to be a successful study together with two Key Opinion Leaders and a senior oncologist colleague over coffee and cake at a coffee shop at a medical conference). So soft skills are important.

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

11 hours ago, polybear said:

And finally.....

Early indications suggest that Bear is now "back in the green" insofar as BMI is concerned.  Yahooooooooooo........

Once I've had a similar reading for 3 days in a row I'll be happier though.

Another 2.5Kg is the next (and final) goal - it'll give me a bit of slack for those essential Pizza's....

....and the odd slice of LDC....

.....and a few curly fries....

......and......

Bear gone.

I wouldn't get too cocky, Bear.

It's inadvisable to weigh yourself every day - daily fluctuations in weight can be up to about a kilo or so depending upon a number of factors (you void about 200 - 400ml of urine at a time. So that's 200g - 400g). Taking a middle value of 300mL/300g per urination, void 4 times and you've lost 1.2 Kg - which will return....

The most reliable way of weighing yourself is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time on the same day, after voiding (solids and liquids) before eating or drinking anything and preferably completely unclothed. This helps smooth out the daily fluctuations in weight.

The other thing, you'll only have reached your desired weight once you have had repeated measurements (plus/minus a tiny variation) of that weight over a period of time (I forget what that is).

Unfortunately, weight loss isn't easy (or terribly permanent), otherwise there wouldn't be a problem with obesity in many countries. It's a multi-factorial problem that calorie restriction can only partly address.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think I've been fortunate in my job interviews in that I can only remember two where I walked out of them. This was prior to the actual interview itself when I was either been shown around or having been asked to do various tasks. Being single meant that I wasn't restricted in where I could work, so was happy to move if I saw a job i fancied. It did have its disadvantages though, in that you didn't get to see the area, this was pre-interwobbly so you had to rely on what you'd been sent or knew of the area. One of these occasions was for a middle ranking post where it was a two day affair and being subjected to what  would be called 'psychological profiling'. I wasn't the only one who walked on that occasion and I recall noting some time later that the job was re-advertised so quite what they wanting they obviously didn't get.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17