Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hmm, where to send The Bear on Holiday? (Captain Cynical has - unhelpfully - suggested The Gulag Archipelago or Devil’s Island, Guyana).

A lot depends upon The Bear’s ability to go outside his comfort zones - including culinarily and financially.

I’ve often found that a long weekend (5-6 days) with a comfortable hotel as a base is a great way to recharge one’s batteries, eat well and get to see lots of things historical and cultural.

So, recommendations:

1. Berlin. Definitely lots of things to see: go off the tourist track and visit Pankow, Wedding and Spandau. Explore the U-Bahn and S-Bahn (if you’re lucky they may be running the “Tunnel Tour” on the U-Bahn again). Lots of great museums and loads of nightlife - from the upmarket  to the louche. Food would appeal to an unsophisticated Bear - lots of pig and potatoes. Curry-Wurst is a famous Berlin takeaway snack, but I prefer Schweinshaxe with kartoffelpuffer. KaDeWe on the Ku Damm is definitely THE place for cake - albeit a tad pricy. Once you’ve had a KaDeWe cake - anything else is substandard.
  2. Amsterdam. Lots to do, the Rejksmuseum is superb, great flea markets, easy to get from to other parts of the Netherlands. Food? Solid Dutch stuff (more pig and potatoes), but a Dutch-Indonesian Riistaffel is a definite must. The Dutch are serious cake eaters and chips and mayonnaise is an unlikely combination that works.
  3. Paris. OK it’s full of the French 🤣 - but definitely worth a visit (as @jamie92208 can confirm, the rest of France thinks the Parisians are full of themselves). Museums and art galleries alone could take up all of your time. Plenty of places to visit, the Metro system is worth exploring and the food, as you would expect, is superb. There are many little Bistros where you can get one of a small choice of dishes plus starter and dessert for about €10. Patisserie (or CAKE for the unsophisticated) is also big in France with many top patisseuers (or CAKE SHOP for the monolingual) selling out before lunchtime.

Other city breaks that have worked for me have included Copenhagen, Turin, Bologna and Oslo. Joining two 5-day weekends back to back makes for a nice (almost) 2 week holiday.

Perhaps the only downsides to having a city break are:

• A high season stay will cost you multiples of what an off-season or low season stay would cost (besides you won’t be able to see much because of the bloody tourists)
  • Unless you enjoy spending large amounts of money for mediocre food, avoid restaurants that have menus in multiple languages and eat local. Insisting on pizza and fries instead of - say - having eisbein mit kartoffelsalat s a good way to get ripped off.
  • Avoid very low cost hotels and B&Bs (you could end up with unwanted insectile visitors), Accor - the French hotel conglomerate - has a lot of properties spread across several brands Ibis Styles are always fun to stay in (e.g  the Ibis Styles Edinburgh has unlimited sausage, egg, haggis and [yuk] baked beans at the Breakfast Buffet) and Mercure are good if you want a little more self-indulgence.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Good Evening All

Please can anyone help me with some advice. 

Number 1 cub and his mate are travelling to Italy to watch Brighton v Roma. Getting there is no issue. 

The game is on Thursday night, and they are due to travel home from Torino to Gatwick on Friday 8th……however there is some rumour that there is due to be a general strike with unionise workers walking out on that day. 

Biggest issue is they have no idea how wide spread this likely to be and how likely it is to affect flights, trains etc etc. 

Getting reliable information from here is difficult to say the least. 

Cheers in advance all. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Berlin

Still haven’t been to Berlin. Probably will do one day. Perhaps if there are flights from Southend

Amsterdam

Been there a few times, agree about the museums, good transport, nearly got run over by a beer bike on the pavement. Utrecht is a nice alternative, food, canals and a railway museum. Train from Schipol then walk to nice hotel. 

Paris

Been quite a few times. Apart from a day trip in August one year we have been early spring or late autumn. Did a lot of walking and visiting art galleries or general  sightseeing.. Travelled by train from Ebbsfleet but that isn’t an option now. 

For her recent 70th birthday Aditi wanted a few days away “somewhere nice”. She mentioned Vienna, and then Berlin. She decided she didn’t really want to fly as all of our friends and family who had flown around then got  covid. Then her brother’s 60th birthday party was right in the middle of when we could go. So,Aditi thought Yorkshire would be nice and it was, split between York and Malham. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

May be going for a walk on the very line today.

By the way have you ever visited the location?

As it happens  not yet

Baz

• Like 14

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late but some eyelid inspection took place after I got home from Tess Coes. Now for dinner, quiche and chips.

I might have had chips with my quiche too, but my mouth is still tender after my visit to the dentist last Thursday...

So mushy peas* it was!

* The alternative was baked beans, but I was mindful of greenhouse gasses...

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I didn’t know there was medical grade superglue

Commonly used now in place of stitching for minor injuries and some surgeries.  Also, I believe, for more major surgeries where suitable.  It leaves minimal scarring which can fade to nothing noticeable.  Which, for those for whom it matters, is probably better than having a visible "zip" scar.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Commonly used now in place of stitching for minor injuries and some surgeries.

I knew about the surgical use of superglue but in my complete ignorance of such things I just assumed it wasn’t anything special and didn’t know that there was a medical version. Apparently with added plasticiser and some other minor changes. I don’t myself recall using it intentionally on cuts but I have got it in cuts unintentionally. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

I've used super glue on cut fingers once or twice myself, not always deliberately...

Misty on the way to the MRC, though not heavy.

Just back from the MRC where no cut fingers were involved, though because I did things correctly no fried fingers were involved either.  After adding some temporary smoke tubes to the unmentionable, electrons were successfully supplied to an object that then moved. That's the first time anything has done so on this for several years.

There's a bit more Todo, but this section is definitely getting closer to completion..

Another prospective new member was visiting.

Heavier mist on the way back, the gate light has failed ( seal unit led) I'll be ordering a couple of new ones shortly as another less important has died some time ago.

On arrival the headlights illuminated an OWL, which flew off, but it was calling furiously from further down the garden as I shut the gates.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

@iL Dottore @polybear Paris is great with good public transport.sadly your info re prices is a bit out of date Flavio.  Even down here a 'menu de jour' is usually about €15 though that sometimes includes a glass of wine. I suspect that in Paris it's about €18 to 20.  I did find a serb cake shop at the bottom of the footbridge that runs across the huge yard at Villeneuve St George.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Facebook just worked on the original password even though I'd been messing with it earlier.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Facebook just worked on the original password even though I'd been messing with it earlier.

It was down universally. It didn’t take long to return though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

@iL Dottore @polybear Paris is great with good public transport.sadly your info re prices is a bit out of date Flavio.  Even down here a 'menu de jour' is usually about €15 though that sometimes includes a glass of wine. I suspect that in Paris it's about €18 to 20.  I did find a serb cake shop at the bottom of the footbridge that runs across the huge yard at Villeneuve St George.

Jamie

We don’t eat out a lot so are probably not good judges but last time we visited  Paris it wasn’t expensive compared to London. There seemed to be a lot more non franchise places to get food and drink though which was nice. The hotel was certainly cheaper than one in a London would be. 
Food prices in restaurants locally seem to have risen. We regularly met friends for lunch at the same pub. The bill was fairly constant over a few years but this time it was 20% more for similar meals and drink. I looked carefully at the menu and the most expensive items had changed much but everything else had. Our domestic food bills are higher too, easy to see as most of it comes from one source delivered weekly. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I knew about the surgical use of superglue but in my complete ignorance of such things I just assumed it wasn’t anything special and didn’t know that there was a medical version. Apparently with added plasticiser and some other minor changes. I don’t myself recall using it intentionally on cuts but I have got it in cuts unintentionally. 

There is probably minimal difference, except that the medical grade will have had to have had substantial medical testing; statistical analysis of the side effects (there are always side effects) and will have to be covered by huge levels of insurance- especially if sold into North America where any perceived defect is likely to cost millions.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning I finished laying the cellar flooring, so that’s another big step to getting my model railway room completed. After dinner I made a start cutting the skirting boards, so far I’ve cut 3 pieces, but none are fitted yet. Mind you, I still have another 10 pieces to cut and I’ve got 10 corners in total, 6 internal and 4 external, so that’ll keep me busy. I expect it’ll take me most of the rest of the week to finish it all. I’ve not taken photos today, as it doesn’t look much different to those I took yesterday, but I’ll take some when it’s all done. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew...

It's bin day tomorrow and this week it's the turn of the black bin to be out. But I noticed that a neighbour had put out her blue bin instead.

I felt I just had to tell her...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1