The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Why is a round pie always in a square box in a supermarket?

Because the cardboard on the outside is cheaper than the cardboard flavoured item on the inside, also it makes it look bigger.

Most supermarket pies are pastry containing gravy that has passed by some meat.

No pies in our tuck shops,  that would be sweets, peanuts etc.

School dinner "pies " were gristle in gravy with a pastry top of which you got one small square.. The other pies were " Scotch pies, " water pastry " top and bottom, with the top inset the top edge of the sides.. The school version was special in that the top was so inset you'd be lucky if there were a 1/4 inch of mince and onions in the bottom . The speelchucker just tried to change to mice for mince.. which might be appropriate.

Afternoon Awl,

Museum lectures attended, better than expected, our electricity bill last year was, ... £13,000!!!  Hence we are waiting for planning permission for solar panels on the roof. Being a listed building there are all sorts of requirements for not damaging the building and keeping them out of sight.

I think our new manager has learnt spouting woke at crotchety mostly old service men and service women will get a very unwoke reaction... So that piece of the lecture was basically, try to not upset anyone, but if you do, let him know so he can go into damage control mode.

We did have to do a practice fire evacuation, so we know what to do with the public. 

Managed to get into a shed where a type 14 radar on a lorry is stored,  it's returned from restoration. Took some measurements, the radar is almost the same as that which went in to Omaha Beach, though the lorry is a later one.

Spoke to one volunteer who's memory is definitely not what it should be, he reckoned Sir Robert Watson Watt was developing radar in 1975. Considering RWW died in Raigmore hospital In Inverness 1973,  a mile or so from my school boarding house,  that would be somewhat unlikely... Only 40 years out...

Ben the I don't like loud noises Collie is very unhappy, they are playing top gun above us.

As I was a good part of the way there, I went to the orange shed on the way back, 120kg of sand now deposited in the soggy hollows in the grass, 120kg of gravel deposited in the soggy hollows in the driveway, still more needed.

Now needed, ocular cover testing.

By gum that's a lot of sand and gravel for that matter. Would it not be cheaper?, more convenient certainly to just get a 'one tonne' bag of them and empty them as and when you have energy/time. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

No!

But I can order you one, if you like.

Good luck on finding a way to send it to the UK. I hope the Swiss are better at sending than receiving. The only way we managed to send a picnic hamper to Switzerland at the New Year was to order it from an Irish business. They had no trouble debiting our credit card and finding an appropriate courier service. Their default carrier to EU destinations declined but DHL delivered, well at least to a Migros locker. We assumed for non food items it was going to be simple, as we wanted to send a small toy to Zurich for our new great niece. We found an appropriate toy on the Swiss online store for Steiff . All went well, all the  addresses  were accepted but it would only allow credit cards associated with a Swiss address. So I tried exporting it from the UK online store and again it failed at the payment page as wouldn’t let me send to Switzerland. 
Eventually we found another toy retailer that will let us pay here and send to Switzerland, not a Steiff but still safe and cuddly. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

@iL Dottore also believes that with all things PIE, serving proportions should reflect the importance of each ingredient:

Bear couldn't agree more.....

image.png.9a9f0ce9e2b52fa2f492ec718a59893a.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Good luck on finding a way to send it to the UK. I hope the Swiss are better at sending than receiving. The only way we managed to send a picnic hamper to Switzerland at the New Year was to order it from an Irish business. They had no trouble debiting our credit card and finding an appropriate courier service. Their default carrier to EU destinations declined but DHL delivered, well at least to a Migros locker. We assumed for non food items it was going to be simple, as we wanted to send a small toy to Zurich for our new great niece. We found an appropriate toy on the Swiss online store for Steiff . All went well, all the  addresses  were accepted but it would only allow credit cards associated with a Swiss address. So I tried exporting it from the UK online store and again it failed at the payment page as wouldn’t let me send to Switzerland. 
Eventually we found another toy retailer that will let us pay here and send to Switzerland, not a Steiff but still safe and cuddly. 

It works both ways - which drives me crazy.

Last year Mrs iD "persuaded" me to turn my notes, jottings, diary and blog of my time in Japan into an illustrated booklet. This was duly done (and was entitled "what I did on my holiday! by iL Dottore aged 67 and ¼")

I then went looking for someone to print and bind the booklet. In Switzerland the cost was either astronomical (something like £40 a copy) OR you had a minimum print run of 500 - 1000 copies (I only needed 20, I have no illusions as to my abilities as an author). So I turned my search to the UK and found plenty of places that could do exactly what I wanted for a very acceptable price. EXCEPT

• They either didn't ship to Switzerland

OR

• The site - after accepting all the necessary details (quantity, address, type of shipment) - refused to accept my credit card.

I ended up using one of the few small run not too obscenely costly Swiss printers - who only went and  had it printed in Germany (but still charged Swiss prices).

Some much for unfettered commerce!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

1 minute ago, polybear said:

OK, it's a bit carb heavy (well, incredibly carb heavy to be honest).

Now, I know that you love industrial quality baked beans as much as I detest them, but a Baked Bean Milkshake?

image.png.0976d15358224b849dce0f119e9243c9.png

Isn't that a bit extreme, even for a Poly Bear?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now, I know that you love industrial quality baked beans as much as I detest them, but a Baked Bean Milkshake?

image.png.0976d15358224b849dce0f119e9243c9.png

Isn't that a bit extreme, even for a Poly Bear?

Not when it's got lemon flavoured buttercream on top.....

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

By gum that's a lot of sand and gravel for that matter. Would it not be cheaper?, more convenient certainly to just get a 'one tonne' bag of them and empty them as and when you have energy/time. 

It would be cheaper, it's about 50% more for their collected nominal 22kg large bags compared to delivered nominal 850kg jumbo bags per kilo.

But unfortunately the lorries they use have a built in loading arm, which needs clearance above it. Where they'd have to deposit it would be under the electricity cables ( two sets, one for us, one for the neighbour) which are only up about 18 ft at the house end, they droop in the middle. The alternative is to park on the single track road, thereby closing it, while they unload into the start of the driveway likely blocking that. 

I'm not even sure our driveway could take a lorry at the moment, even the " little red driving machine" © Gwiwer is digging in..

Years ago I cleared the back of the landrover went up to the nearest quarry and shovelled  just under a ton in the back. Then shovelled it out when I got home.. today my back wouldn't last one end.

A jumbo bag is near 150% the weight my general purpose trailer can take.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Grizz said:

When I arrived home this evening I discovered that Mrs Grizz had been baking and making. 

Ooooooooo I thought I wonder if there is any for me. 

Well apparently not. It is a bespoke birthday cake for a customer. And there aren’t even any scragg ends of cakey nibbles for me either!…as number 2 cub scoffed them at lunch time. 

Not even the mixing bowl to lick out??

21 minutes ago, Grizz said:

IMG_3538.jpeg.b3e0e9c6576a56f3f028998399f19a28.jpeg

Surely no one person needs to have a cake that big. 

What makes you think the customer is a person??

6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Years ago I cleared the back of the landrover went up to the nearest quarry and shovelled  just under a ton in the back. 

Bear saw a Series One Land Rover today - which is a fairly unusual sight in itself.

But this one was very unusual indeed - it was the pickup (Truck Cab?) version; not seen one of those for more years than I can remember

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Grizz said:

is a bespoke birthday cake for a customer

I have mentioned this before but Aditi’s Dad had a friend who was a catering lecturer in a college but loved baking for celebrations. He offered to make a cake for one of FiL’s birthdays. FiL suggested 20 by 30. He meant cm but his friend made it in inches. We all had lots to take away 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Not when it's got lemon flavoured buttercream on top.....

When’s the funeral PB?

If you can eat that, your tastebuds must have died and gone on to their reward in the afterlife.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

@iL Dottore also believes that with all things PIE, serving proportions should reflect the importance of each ingredient:

_cf46bfac-6f1f-4008-a726-829795d864f6.jpg.9dd585cbf9d37e71842f3b65c1a4d5dd.jpg

Pie > chips > peas.

Surely pie>brandy>chips>peas? 

Though TBQH (and at the risk of going on Bear's list) I could quite happily do without the chips! 

1 hour ago, polybear said:

That's disgusting! Olives on a pepperoni pizza? Ugh! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

40 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It would be cheaper, it's about 50% more for their collected nominal 22kg large bags compared to delivered nominal 850kg jumbo bags per kilo.

But unfortunately the lorries they use have a built in loading arm, which needs clearance above it. Where they'd have to deposit it would be under the electricity cables ( two sets, one for us, one for the neighbour) which are only up about 18 ft at the house end, they droop in the middle. The alternative is to park on the single track road, thereby closing it, while they unload into the start of the driveway likely blocking that. 

I'm not even sure our driveway could take a lorry at the moment, even the " little red driving machine" © Gwiwer is digging in..

Years ago I cleared the back of the landrover went up to the nearest quarry and shovelled  just under a ton in the back. Then shovelled it out when I got home.. today my back wouldn't last one end.

A jumbo bag is near 150% the weight my general purpose trailer can take.

Yes I can quite appreciate just how tiring it can be emptying those bags. Had to do three of them and wheel the stuff from front of house to bottom of garden. Apart from the distance something like 30 odd metres it was also down hill as well. Fortunately I was thirty years younger but even with that I was well and truly buggered.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Bear agrees - but it's great fun using them as ammo and firing them off the end of a fork at the other diners.....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

59 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I thought they were Deadly Nightshade berries, judging by the scale....

• Funny 11

Oh well, just finished washing the dishes.

Now to slump on the sofa with Classic FM on the Echo Orb, a muggadrinkingchoccy, a hunk of walnut cake and a book for when my hands are free of cake...

😁

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mushy peas have their place. It is alongside fush’n’chups at supper. Not at breakfast. 

My uncle used to have cold mushy pea sandwiches for breakfast, thickly sliced I believe.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Dinner tonight, I think.

_c869a660-45a0-4ad0-a47d-85854bc05372.jpg.e5ec51f4288992012ceccf0fbe3f6531.jpg

Chips will NOT be involved.

Looks a bit like my uncle’s breakfast but the layers of bread and mushy peas were much thicker and he definitely didn’t have the ‘red stuff’ on the top or the side salad

• Funny 12

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Then Beth messaged me, poor little Emily has discovered that she can't F, Y. She's broken her collarbone falling off the settee.  They hadn't got a sli g small enough for her modified one with tape. She's still smiling though. 

Lots of sympathy to Emily! I broke my collarbone when a bit older than Emily (3 or 4), also doing gymnastics on furniture.

I still remember something about the episode - going to hospital on a Glasgow Corporation bus, and going home on another bus with the same conductress.

My wife, my sons and their partners accuse me of worrying too much when seeing grandkids clambering about on chairs, sofas etc. but I broke my collarbone doing that - they didn’t!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, despite my best efforts, I didn’t quite get all that I’d hoped I would. However, I did get the last 2 pieces of the skirting board fitted and one of the two blinds was cut to size and fitted. This was fitted above the outer French doors, meaning that I’ve still got the window blind to fit, but that’s too requires cutting to size first. 

After dinner Charlie came round and whilst he continued painting his war hammer figure, I build a 00 diamond crossing kit. 

• Like 15