The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A sunny start to the day, unlike yesterday which was wet, very wet. Not a lot on the go here for today, although I’ve already got a fruit tea loaf, that I’d left soaking overnight in the oven. I’d planned to have a day sat in the dinning room waiting for an expected package, but Royal Snail have sent an email telling me it’ll be delivered tomorrow! So much for 48 hour tracked! However, we are out tomorrow for most of the day and Thursday is also a no-no, as is Saturday, so I’ve had to rearrange for it to be delivered next Tuesday, pah. However, I’m still going to sit at the dining room table and do a bit of tweaking of the helix plan, so that I can change its orientation by 90 degrees. This will mean that, apart from one entry road, it will all be beneath the layout. 

Anyway, time to get the pencil and paper out, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have decided not to pack the DSLR  as I doubt that I will use it much and these days often get stopped on stations when using the DSLR but not when using the mobile phone to take snaps.

I am intrigued as to the justification given, if any, for people being stopped from using DSLR cameras on stations. Have I missed a rule/culture change or have you simply been unlucky?

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, only two callouts from bladder control and the second was just before seven so I got up. The events in Baltimore are now unfolding as per the live pictures posted by @New Haven Neil above. They are now saying that the vessels engine failed and it lost steerage way which as in this instance can be disastrous. Some are questioning the construction of the bridge itself and why it collapsed, but by appearances it's a suspension bridge and once a tower goes collapse is inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

I am intrigued as to the justification given, if any, for people being stopped from using DSLR cameras on stations. Have I missed a rule/culture change or have you simply been unlucky?

Many larger stations have security and I guess that they have been briefed to stop anyone with a camera. I got shouted at on Fenchurch station a year or so ago just for getting my DSLR out of the bag and they came onto the train saying that they were going to throw me off the station but didn't. In Scotland apparently you are meant to contact the station staff before taking photos but if you want a photo of the train that you just got off then there isn't time to do so. However they tend to leave you alone if using the mobile phone. its not many times that I have been stopped. Quite a few years ago I remember being at Brighton station with a friend who worked in the depot and he just told the person who was trying to stop us to go away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

So no good reason, just over zealous security staff exercising power in an arbitrary and unjustifiable fashion. Seems a real pity. (Tiny little rantette there methinks).

Mind you, tomorrow I’m going to be trying to take photographs at the new high speed station in Laos - we’ll see how I get on here. Not sure I fancy a Laotian prison cell…

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Is it the flue/ chimney for a line kiln as it looks like a limestone quarry.  The kiln may be a short distance away with a ground level F, ue to the actual chimney.  That was quite common. 

Jamie

I believe it's the last standing remnants of one of the Dietzsch lime kilns that were built on site between 1867 and 1900. 

A lot of the other buildings were demolished.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

I believe it's the last standing remnants of one of the Dietzsch lime kilns that were built on site between 1867 and 1900. 

A lot of the other buildings were demolished.

Frothe research that I've done about rail served quarries ithe Yorkshire Dales, I'm aware of bottle, Hoffman and Spencer Kilns.  I'll have to look up Dietzsch.  The Hoffman Kiln at Ingleton had a short stumpy chimney on top of the hilwith a ground level flue following the contours from the kiln.

Jamiel

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

So no good reason, just over zealous security staff exercising power in an arbitrary and unjustifiable fashion. Seems a real pity. (Tiny little rantette there methinks).

Mind you, tomorrow I’m going to be trying to take photographs at the new high speed station in Laos - we’ll see how I get on here. Not sure I fancy a Laotian prison cell…

Before the pandemic we had an hours wait at Lancaster station and was appraoched by a member of the station staff who started chatting with me. It soon became apparent that he was just sounding out my state of mind incase I might have been thinking of jumping in front of a train but he soon reslised that I was taking photos aand he chatted for a while.  That type of interaction is a very pleasnt one but but the only time that has happened.

I have been told to stop taking photos at Amtrak San Diego by a very officious Amtrak female conductor some years ago which wans't what I was expecting as Amtrak were encouraging people to take photos of their trains.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched a program on BBC4 about the Darjeeling Railway, very interesting. There's three more programs to come this week at 7 pm Tues-Weds-Thur, you can pick up tonights program on I-player.

Delighted you chose to reveal this as I saw a muddle of it at AlyPaly some years ago and fell in love with it! Already had a sneak preview on the mac! Will try and catch up with the first part on the beeb at 1:30 - biggggggggger screeeeeeeen!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What in all the dark Satanic Mills is this thing:

image.png.816cb988f73d8e054961bf0c243a27bc.png

It doesn't look like a headstock or winding house. But I'm no expert in such things.

I think that rather than being a flue - why have arches and rectangular openings in a flue? - it is in fact kiln and flue combined.

I have seen (on the box) a similar arrangement where the arch gives access to 4 kilns - 2 on each side and fuel (coal or maybe coke) and limestone or chalk are loaded into the kilns at that level.  The height of the flue above is determined by the need for the fire to draw sufficiently to create enough heat to calcine the rock.  The lime/cement is then extracted at the lower level (rectangular openings) once the fire has subsided but probably still too hot to touch.. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailv2&form=SBIHVR&lightschemeovr=1&iss=sbi&q=imgurl:https%3A%2F%2Fcontent-eu.invisioncic.com%2Fy320084%2Fmonthly_2024_03%2Fimage.png.816cb988f73d8e054961bf0c243a27bc.png&pageurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F229-early-risers%2Fpage%2F12876%2F%23comment-5471532&pagetl=Early+Risers.+-+Page+12876+-+Wheeltappers+-+RMweb&imgalt=image.png.816cb988f73d8e054961bf0c243a27bc.png&imgsz=281x479&selectedindex=28&id=https%3A%2F%2Fs0.geograph.org.uk%2Fgeophotos%2F03%2F01%2F72%2F3017244_44f03303_1024x1024.jpg&ccid=fyh1nuQd&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs0.geograph.org.uk%2Fgeophotos%2F03%2F01%2F72%2F3017244_44f03303_1024x1024.jpg&exph=768&expw=1024&vt=2&simid=607996722171161310&ck=C79CEC83FD0AAB6E3793A7B3D8CAB366&thid=OIP.fyh1nuQd7d51tnjpmlndigHaFj&cdnurl=https%3A%2F%2Fth.bing.com%2Fth%2Fid%2FR.7f28759ee41dedde75b678e99a59dd8a%3Frik%3DQ6Qx%2byyAI8BpLA%26pid%3DImgRaw%26r%3D0&sim=11

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

A few years ago there was a bit of a trend for converting structures like the old lime kiln into homes. However, converting a water tower, winding house, or lookout tower would be a good bit easier than tackling a lime kiln I reckon. They made interesting projects for Grand Designs but the cost of most of them would have been lower if they could have demolished the thing and started from scratch. Not possible in most cases though.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On pronunciation, the most difficult I have found is Vietnamese

When working in Australia, where there are many such, one of the most difficult family names to pronounce to the satisfaction of the other party was Nguyen.  

Some preferred to go by a Western name but most preferred their own.  Approximately - given my Western tongue - the more common variations were "Win" "Nwin" and a very shortened version of "Know-when".  

How does one know which is which until they have introduced themselves? 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

33 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Approximately - given my Western tongue - the more common variations were "Win" "Nwin" and a very shortened version of "Know-when".  

Using "English" pronunciations, what is most commonly heard here is "N'when" - whether that is accurate or an Anglicized approximate I can't say.

Vietnamese noodles in broth are popular. The term is Phở - often spelled as "Pho". It is pronounced more like "fah" - not "foe". Phở restaurants are quite common.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

I see Baltimore has a problem, hopefully no one was on the road bridge at the time, unless there was a serious  technical failure, someone on the bridge of that ship is in serious trouble. The captain will be anyway.

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hoooooeeee, that's nasty.  Nightmare stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-68663071

The Francis Scott Key Bridge carried I-695 an interstate "ring" road / bypass around the Baltimore core.

I don't know the area at all, but the disconnection of an interstate highway in a major city is more than an inconvenience. Aside from any loss of life (and I haven't had time to understand what is known there) the financial impact of this accident will be staggering.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Am I right in thinking that it blocks a large part of the port?

Yes, though not the "Sparrows Point" complex to the southeast of the bridge.

Once rescue/recovery and initial accident investigation is complete I imagine they will clear the debris quickly - or at least enough to make a 'safe' shipping channel. The impact to the highway will take several years.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, though not the "Sparrows Point" complex to the southeast of the bridge.

Once rescue/recovery and initial accident investigation is complete I imagine they will clear the debris quickly - or at least enough to make a 'safe' shipping channel. The impact to the highway will take several years.

Six missing, according to the BBC News website

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Yay! Sun has popped out! Lots of cloud around though.

A few toot on the flute exercises this morning were not brilliant but do suggest some progress. Another bash, shortly, may pave the way for a better session, tomorrow but no guarantee but I live in hope.

I was thinking of putting on my nice newly cleaned up and polished boots and going off for a walk until I opened the front door... Nor'easterlies...Brrrrrrrr. Hmmm....

Decided on a mugadecaf instead. 

Take care. Be good. When in doubt, put kettle on!

Polly

• Like 18