The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let’s see now……

Lemon HCB

Treacle HCB

Salted Caramel HCB

That’ll do for starters

p.s. Next -day delivery to Bear Towers should do just fine 🤪

Hey there’s a thought……wonder what an LDC HCB would be like…..with a MOT of course. Gonna need a lexicon of abbreviations at this rate…..otherwise we might end up being….SOL right there! 

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

it’s full of people.

It is so so quiet here today. Bank holiday in Benfleet could be a reference point for quiet. Nothing  much happens normally , watching parents parking at school pickup time is our major entertainment. Being a school holiday takes that fun away and we have to make do watching couriers deliver. As we have horrible colds there isn’t much else. I did venture out. My next door neighbours have become very anxious lately and they have gone to Wales. So I got a phone call this morning to say their door camera had reported someone leaving a package and it was one they hadn’t ordered. I didn’t make any facetious comments like “perhaps it is a drug delivery” as the neighbour really is that anxious. So I went round and found the Evri courier had left two packages, one they were expecting, but not today and a mysterious padded envelope from China with no house number and a name no one nearby recognised. 
Tony

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Certain other parts of the US prefer the opposite approach!

Florida!

The natural companion to "Florida man"* is "Florida legislator".

* As in the headline: "FLORIDA MAN"...

• On meths wrestles alligator
  • Is hit on the head by stunned iguana
  • Is consumed by sinkhole while asleep in bed
  • etc (at least two of those are likely to be true)

What surprised me more is your source and that they ran that story. "The National Desk, Sinclair Inc".

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

one of Mrs Grizz’s homemade hot cross buns. Fresh out of the oven and then cut in two and Toasted, with fresh locally produced butter. 

Why would you toast a warm bun straight out of the oven? Sacrilege. Toasting is for day(s) old buns / breads etc. If still warm from the oven room temperature butter will soften for you.

No hot cross buns for me. (Not on the approved list, but as indicated twelvish moths ago, good ones are unobtanium locally.) Supermarkets might carry a facsimile pull-apart six pack, wrapped in plastic with a frosting cross - all sticky and too sweet.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* As in the headline: "FLORIDA MAN"

Rainman Ray a Youtuber who runs a auto mechanic repair garage refers to his customers from the Keys them as Conchs. He had a blinged up Fiat 500 in the shop a couple of weeks ago to add just more shiny bits!

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started watching the Netflix adaptation of Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem. As TV it is pretty good but given the book was something of a breakout for modern Chinese sci-fi outside of China it's slightly sad they moved much of the story to Britain. Apparently there's a Chinese adaptation which is much more faithful to the book which may hopefully be available internationally.  That said, it is recognisably an adaptation of the book unlike some. I loved The Man in the High Castle (well at least until season 4 when it went pear shaped IMO) but it bore very little relation to the book and the Apple adaptation of Foundation kept the premise of the books but basically made it into a new story.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Made it out - one refund, some food treats from M&S, some shampoo and shower gel from Boots and a free Coffee in John Lewis. 

Rain poured whilst we had our coffee and then miraculously the sun was shining when we exited using the car park to get to Asda on foot rather then go back through half the length of the shopping areas.

Asda was also crazy but the rain stayed off long enough to walk home including popping in Aldi for some medicinal Brandy and meat for Monday, so all shopped up for the weekend.

Keep thinking it is Saturday and I am off to York tomorrow, but I am a day out, tomorrow is Saturday and I am at home.

After next week I am back on 5 day weeks at work having run down my holidays with every Friday off since mid January.  How pensioners keep up with the day of week I don't know, I guess it just means new routines to replace the old work routines.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There are only two days.Binsday and Notbinsday.

That's like Polish, in which Sunday is "No work day" and Monday is "After no work day".

• Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Moaning!!

As reported previous years, Easter here is devoid of anything approaching a public holiday, so, working today and Monday as if it never happens.

Yesterday a VERY LONG service to sing at followed by a much longer rehearsal than expected.

Started the service warm-up at 6PM, service 7-8:30PM, finished rehearsal at 9:40PM - ARRGGHHHH

Today, major additions/changes to reports greeted me first thing for work. No POETS likely today.

Later Jemma will drop off Whitney as she heads out for a 4-day trip, two turns to London.

Only weekend plans, other than getting some sleep are the Easter Sunday services the choir sing at.

We'll be on our own for Easter, not a problem, we're getting a nice take-out of traditional glazed ham and all the sides just for the two of us.

Weather finally continues to head towards Spring, -4c first thing, partly sunny, high of 6c expected. No below zero overnights in the week ahead, yay!

Carry on.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Let’s see now……

Lemon HCB

Treacle HCB

Salted Caramel HCB

That’ll do for starters

Lucky you with that choice.

When asked, our patissier (bun and cake maker) replied:

Qu'est que c'est un ot crows bone 

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Late call - Mrs NHN driven day!

Q said:- Having worked in Saudi, where the outside temperature officially don't go above 50C,  but we put a thermometer on a chair in the shade behind the packing case 8ft tall, 4ft wide and deep that we were filling. It hit over 70C, were were surrounded by tarmac... The guys on the flight line would change overalls half a dozen times a day. It's also a high humidity area on the coast where we were.

Hmm yeah I agree, try working in a steel box (ships engineroom for instance) with a 30 thousand horsepower diesel engine for company, and the air as described above is the intake temperature.  Like Q, I couldn't do it now, it was hard enough then back in my 20's.

A scrappy day, we had the Old Farts Bike Club breakfast, then we were at a loose end as it kept raining so rode the electric thing that runs on parallel steel things, and then on a horsey powered version of the same thing in the Big City prom. It rained off and on all day.

20240329_1406571.jpg.2036159bd77a7acde0fc4737f543688a.jpg

20240329_145433_11.jpg.1f6fce1f6a7751424e0df22ca407452e.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Hey there’s a thought……wonder what an LDC HCB would be like…..with a MOT of course. Gonna need a lexicon of abbreviations at this rate…..otherwise we might end up being….SOL right there! 

Tesco's do an orange & lemon HCB, I've tried them, not too bad but I prefer the apple and cinnamon.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Let’s see now……

Lemon HCB

Treacle HCB

Salted Caramel HCB

That’ll do for starters

image.png.edab0eea7406f3a85e26b378f3a90b7d.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Evening

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There are only two days.Binsday and Notbinsday.

I'm reminded of "There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those who do not" 😉

ION

A tragedy was avoided today! 

Whilst out for a quick thrash on the RD Mrs Puppers & Junior Puppers were "sorting" through the big plastic box of long forgotten childhood soft toys     To keep it topical it was a binary choice; Keep or Go (to the charity shop).   Imagine my dismay @New Haven Neil when, on my return, I found Donk's cousin Bonk assigned to the Go pile!    Fortunately I was able to highlight the error in the filtering process and Bonk is now safe and ready for some Bimbles, Chugs & Thrashes over the coming months.   He said it would be great to "Do the TT course" sometime with his cousin (I didn't like to disappoint him so I just said "Maybe one day" and left it at that 🤣)

Bonk.jpg.2e46f13c55275755fc55bb50cd8dbbe2.jpg

I've modified the weather vane and  made a fitting to attach it to it's new mounting pole.   This had to be silver soldered to the base of the fixed section.     I may have got the wooden Workmate jaws slightly too warm whilst doing so.    In the world of old motorcycles it's called patina ....  I just call it burnt wood.

That's about it for today I reckon.

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
It was Mrs Puppers NOT Puppers!
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

From today: (literally)

CNN: Florida woman wakes up to find car destroyed. Video shows unlikely culprits

Would have been better as: "DOGS EAT FLORIDA WOMAN'S CAR"

A fun game - find out YOUR inner FloridaMan.

Google "Florida Man"  then the day and month of your birthday to find out what kind of Florida man you are.

For example "Florida Man March 30" produces

"Florida man hit mother, stuffed dumplings in her mouth for refusing to dress his mannequin"

My personal FloridaMan - 

"Florida man uses hurricane debris, builds giant pirate ship"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 7