RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I only used LinkedIn for some research. Aditi was being bothered by HR at her last place of work and part of her argument was that the things HR were saying to her didn’t seem right (as in having some legal basis). They assured her they did and all their policies were based on best practice. So I set up a profile for the dog,  used it to  look,at the HR team. Not a qualification between them. They had selected various people for voluntary redundancy with a a threat of compulsory redundancy with poorer compensation. 

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

I wonder if I might impose upon the worthies here for some advice, given that we have modellers of skill and resource?

My daughter-in-law's father died last year, and she was greatly upset. Last month she visited - he lived in Spain - to find some mementoes to remember him by, only to find that most had been thrown away. She did find, however, a model plane (he was a keen amateur pilot) but in packing it her mother broke it into pieces, bent pieces at that.

This is how it is now.

RS2_2039.jpeg.5287a569f9140ec957a7fa39eeb0f8db.jpeg

RS2_2040.jpeg.0b7ce1ee032d9f64c3d1e5a0a75662ad.jpegRS2_2041.jpeg.52489cd5e440ea2e63f1274bbd9d91ad.jpegRS2_2042.jpeg.82882ecd9a21204574679fb76332af07.jpegRS2_2043.jpeg.c32194ade135f2ef71c701c827a43798.jpeg

It is very heavy, and may have either been a kit, or has been repaired in the past - signs of superglue. 

What advice would you give a chimp who is desperately keen not to screw this up, as it would mean so much to her to see it fettled and standing on a proper plinth. The metal doesn't seem to be too brittle (I've partly straightened the airscrew with my fingers) but I know how casting metal goes...

I've also cleaned and  fettled one of his film cameras (Nikon F60) and found a film in it which I've sent off to be processed. I'm planning to use that camera to take a 'family portrait' of Dan & Rebecca and have it framed as a memento.

So any sound advice would be extremely appreciated. TIA.

I presume that it is metal.  If so it looks similar to some that I saw that were produced, unofficially in aircraft factories during the war.  The ones I saw were in the ho e of Beth's aunt who had worked at Castle Bromwich.  I think they were polished steel.  If the material is steel araldite may be the best solution.  If it's some sort of cast monkey metal/ It might even solder. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite liked Twitter for local information, but mine was quite locked down with lots of blocks etc, it isn’t the same at all now that it is under new management. I hardly ever look at Facebook. There are a few overseas people I use it for to keep in touch with, usually people in family WhatsApp groups that I have left because other members are irritating. If it is important Aditi will tell me. Other than WhatsApp Aditi doesn't use any social media. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

It was sold to a Canadian Pension company and by the number of cars in the car park at weekends I think financially it is probably getting back on track.  I am glad I can just walk to the place when I need to, I wouldn't want to have to try and park.

Mind you yesterday I got a taste of what it must be like for the poor souls who have to drive there.  Our local Sainsburys has been cut off from half of our town by gas work and we can only enter from one direction currently and it's the worse of the two directions.  Yesterday popped out to the shops not realising this work was in existence.  The car park was rammed - but not with parked cars but with cars trying to get out which in turn blocked lots of parking spaces and stopped people entering from being able to park adding to the queues. 

Apparently it will be like this for a week, so no Sainsburys for a bit unless on foot or I park on the nearest main road.

Driving used to be fun....

On the rare occasions I've been I never had a problem finding a spot. Having said that I never go on a weekend which is usually when it gets busy.

There does seem to be a lack of planning with road works and not just by the people doing them. Was on the East Lancs earlier today and there were signs up at the various road works all saying you can't turn right. Three guesses what all the cars were trying to do.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Especially since the people who really care about their posh car currently park downstairs near Selfridges out of the elements and an elevator (probably wont use the escalator) away from the shop entrance.

One of the Hospice Volunteers saw a car being washed by the East European types in Asda car park a few days ago.  Not unusual....unless the car in question just happens to be a Lambo....

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

OK, I freely admit that baked beans, pizza and fries are not quite my cup of tea, but if I were to have a pizza I’d either make it myself (from fresh ingredients) or have one at a decent pizzeria known for the quality of its ingredients. Same goes for baked beans and fries (homemade - the only way!).

Why do people insist on buying and eating junk? It’s not always a time saver (spaghetti carbonara from scratch about 15 minutes, from a packet [UPF] about 15 minutes), it doesn’t work out - in the long run - to be less expensive (homemade chips are a damn site less expensive than frozen ready made). Perhaps it’s fear of cooking or a perception that it’s either difficult or time consuming (or both). 

Or could it be a combination of ignorance and laziness?

Tell 'im Puppers @PupCam - iD's takin' a pop at The Bear.

Again......😒

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Smiffy2 said:

@jamie92208 Chimp question... How can I tell if it's steel? If it is I assume it will bend?

L9oks like cast pewter. You can bend that Hurricane .. gently.. using your fingers. Warming it up (warm water?) May also help.

Superglue or araldite should be ok for fixing parts together.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

One of the Hospice Volunteers saw a car being washed by the East European types in Asda car park a few days ago.  Not unusual....unless the car in question just happens to be a Lambo....

The Trafford Centre also has a very posh car wash for those who can afford it, cars stink of 'cleanliness' once done and shine a bit too.

Probably used by Selfridge shoppers so concierge parking too is available with free cleaning for between £60 and £190.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

three frozen "potato smiley faces"

I did at first read that as three dozen! 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

We ate the last of the potatoes today but I think we can last out until the next delivery on Friday. I have absolutely no problem with the chips or Rösti hiding in the freezer. Might even have some baked beans, not frozen though.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Does anyone know what Linkedin is for? Other than as a platform for shameless self-promotion by lower wrung social climbers or virtue signalling by corporate big wigs?

In my experience, that's about it... I signed up ages ago but am very inactive. I have occasionally been approached about jobs, nothing ever came of these. Though I noticed that one approach presumably confused me with another person of the same name as he was later listed as being in the role I was asked about. (Writing about gambling in Gibraltar, as you ask...). So it might have worked for him. 

I don't use social media much, this is the only one I'm involved in. I won't touch Facebook with a bargepole, it's not for me. I did a bit more social media (including Twitter 🙄) when involved in restoring a self propelled railway carriage but only for that cause, it didn't appeal on a personal level. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

Is there evidence to show cause and effect here, or that this is anything other than pure coincidence?

Well a certain Mr D Trump is reportedly an  aficionado of McDonald's food .    😎

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6