RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

We're off to Batam for a long weekend tomorrow, last minute impulse thing and got a good package from one of the ferry operators including hotel and transfers. Batam is the bit of Indonesia near Singapore (less than an hour by fast ferry), no I'd never heard of Indonesia either but apparently it's a country which had the impertinence to position itself between Singapore and Australia and cause inconvenience to ships trading between East Asia and Europe.

Just been having a look on Google maps , just a heads up , the ferry terminal is exactly opposite to

the Mega Mall Batam Centre , so maybe a blindfold would be handy  for your good lady .     😎

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

apparently it's a country which had the impertinence to position itself between Singapore and Australia and cause inconvenience to ships trading between East Asia and Europe.

The Dutch East Indies. William Bligh would have been mighty happy it was  there after travelling 6,500km to get to it  by open boat after the first  mutiny he suffered from.

On a slightly related topic, two Dutchmen became the first Europeans to settle on the Australian mainland 140 years before Cook "discovered" the East Coast when they were marooned there as punishment for their part in the massacre following the grounding of the  Dutch East India Companies ship Batavia on the NW coast.

I say  "settle" but it was probably more like dying of thirst in a few days  or getting speared  by the locals.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No call outs from Bladder control last night but I woke up Arthur Itis by turning over in my sleep. So after a trip to the bathroom to preempt bladder control he went back to sleep so did I. My body clock has still not quite adjusted to the hours difference but it's getting there and should be OK in a weeks time.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Just been having a look on Google maps , just a heads up , the ferry terminal is exactly opposite to

the Mega Mall Batam Centre , so maybe a blindfold would be handy  for your good lady .     😎

14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Thanks, that's properly useful information that is!

But check first to see if there's any good model shops there.😉

• Like 17

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

We're off to Batam for a long weekend tomorrow, last minute impulse thing and got a good package from one of the ferry operators including hotel and transfers. Batam is the bit of Indonesia near Singapore (less than an hour by fast ferry), no I'd never heard of Indonesia either but apparently it's a country which had the impertinence to position itself between Singapore and Australia and cause inconvenience to ships trading between East Asia and Europe.

They did things differently in the Good Old Days. Nowadays it wouldn't be stood for and it'll be a twelve lane superhighway with no emergency lane, no stopping for passengers and all overseen by a control room just outside Milton Keynes.

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a .............sunny! rock, only 8c though after a cold overnight.

We do try to eat food made with fresh ingredients whenever possible, but in modern life it can be difficult, especially in a small village on a small rock.  Local produce is good but obviously seasonal, and for more choice one has to admit defeat sometimes.  Also the only 'big' shops are in the Big City which is 24 miles away. Our veg mostly comes out of fields only a few hundred yards away, and some from the garden, but again seasons command what we can getLocal meat is again high quality if rather expensive, again we try to buy local whenever we can but there are limits to our finances.

A lot of people are now realising the environmental cost of eating out of season fruit and veg (and some of the more food savvy are also realising how disastrous for the environment vegan [incredibly UPF] meat, cheese and milk substitutes are).

As for cost, the percentage households spent on food has dropped since the 1960s - driven by industrialisation and imports. With less UPF available in European shops, food costs are higher, but so is food quality.

"Healthy Eating" is an absolute minefield - it wasn't that long ago that the Government was excoriating fat and promoting carbohydrates.

Following a combination of  the Mediterranean and the Japanese diet (as I do) will defintely increase the probability of live to an old age: fit, on few meds and in possession of all my teeth and my faculties.

@Tony_S may be right, a single tin of beans won't do much more than temporarily mess with your blood sugar values, but overall? Public Health England thinks Britain ain't doing too well: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-profile-for-england/chapter-4-european-comparisons

A rich country like the UK should really be doing better - health wise - than it is. And with 57% of the UKs diet being UPF - is it any wonder?

But, hey, you've got all the advantages of cheap booze, frozen and tinned produce and microwaveable ready meals, right?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

Another entertaining AFL game, played at a sold out Adelaide oval. 50,000 fans on a Thursday night is a decent result I reckon.

I like the Adelaide Oval, unlike the SCG which built a grandstand on the grassed area known as The Hill  and killed much of its soul, the Adelaide oval still has the mound on the Northern end behind the goalposts, where the scoreboard and a row of large trees still stands.  Much of it is hidden behind the sightscreen during the cricket season so when certain camera angles at the footy manage to get a quick glimpse of trees and darkness it is very reminiscent  of a country footy field  rather than an international stadium. Hopefully it'll remain undeveloped.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, TheQ said:

3 reception rooms

I dont think anyone here has a "reception room"  - pray tell, what is it - and why  would you need 3?

Here's an idea  - turn one into a laundry and get the  washing machine out of the kitchen, that's just plain weird!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

Ummm... I have 2 or 3...

Front room, breakfast room and dining room. (Which is full of #1 son's possessions at the moment.)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

Ummm... I have 2 or 3...

Front room, breakfast room and dining room. (Which is full of #1 son's possessions at the moment.)

Hey, I too have a front  room and a back room and a downstairs room etc, is "Reception Room" just a fancy name for them?

I imagined a Reception Room was a fancypants  room where you did important meetings in,   like the impressive book lined room in The Battle Of Britain movie where the German ambassador meets the English gent  with the moustache in the Brit  embassy in Switzerland or something and tells him that Germany  will win the war but the English gent replies that oh  no they won't plus England will beat them in the world cup  final too a bit later on. (Probably after the inevitable penalty shootout ...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Funny 1

In the brief period of my life in which I worked for an estate agent, yes, downstairs rooms were referred to as 'reception rooms'. Probably not the dining room, unless you were stretching it.

And some of the stories I could tell...

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Smiffy2 said:

In the brief period of my life in which I worked for an estate agent, yes, downstairs rooms were referred to as 'reception rooms'. Probably not the dining room, unless you were stretching it.

And some of the stories I could tell...

A reception here is something you have after a wedding, so a "Reception Room" would infer it was some kind of venue that catered for that kind of thing.

Real Estate mumbojumbo here for what you speak of is basically "family room", "entertainment area", "living area" , "open plan area", "multimedia space"  and many other meaningless terms for any  rooms that aren't bedrooms, the kitchen, laundry or the bathroom.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1