Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Temperature didn't quite make it to twenty today just a tad short. But it is hot and sticky. Got to get ready for the Rayleigh toy fair tomorrow, tokens are at the ready.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The band. Capital T and D. To avoid any ambiguity. 

One of the few to have endured the trial by time and have been out their thrashing their kit since 1979. They have worn out quite a few drummers along the way. 

Olga is quite a handy guitar-wrangler too. 

Two of my favourites. Both covers. 

And they’ve even recorded a song  specially for @polybear

https://genius.com/The-toy-dolls-spiders-in-the-dressing-room-lyrics

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

18 hours ago, polybear said:

Nothing like some nice & healthy, freshly sprayed with chemicals & gassed fruit and veg; far healthier than all that UPF......

Didn’t Mommy Bear tell you about washing your fruit and veg before using?

The really nasty pesticides (like DDT) are now pretty much banned and many of the new generation insecticides are harmless to humans - targeting enzyme pathways present only in the target insect species (a former classmate of mine did her PhD thesis on enzyme pathways uniquely found in the American cockroach)

And as for those who are all aghast about pesticide use and using ethylene to ripen fruit and veg in store, you’d better take a good look at yourselves: if there wasn’t an demand from consumers for picture perfect fruit and veg,* agriculture and raw fruit and veg processing would be very different indeed.

*Dutch aquaculture tomatoes are a perfect example: look beautiful have no taste and are watery as hell!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

MIUABGAD methinks; I still have some flights to book and there's also all the fun of driving the Washing Machine yet again to look forward to 😒

There's also a bush (it's a green one with white bits on the leaves....) in the front garden that could do with a prune as well; it'll mean I can park Mickey a bit further away from those sh1ttin' winged tree rats 😡 and also it'll be easier when Mickey gets a bath.

Other fun?  Well I've also got a reminder to give the tops of the kitchen cupboards and also the wardrobes in two bedrooms a clean (= de-dust).  About the only thing I can say about that is it'll feel good when it's done....

Bear gone.....

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning All. 

There is a strange glow in the sky to the East…now either Heathfield has fallen victim to a massively delayed Viking raid (however that is not completely out of the question as it could be that a drunk relation has gone off on a nostalgia trip again) ….or….brace yourselves….or the Sun is out. 

you know the Sun…..seems like we last had it visible in…..Ooooooo I don’t know…November? 

Gotta get out there and catch some rays man. It is finally making the Grizz winter hibernation urge disappear…..well that and the smell of smoked bacon wafting up the castle stairs. 

Ah yes there it is….the breakiefast bell is ‘a clanging’………laters! 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Didn’t Mommy Bear tell you about washing your fruit and veg before using?

That would assume that skins etc. on fruit & veg is impervious to the chemicals used; if it's not and some gets absorbed thru' the skin then washing won't solve the issue.

And yes, Momma Bear did teach Cubby pretty good....

2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The really nasty pesticides (like DDT) are now pretty much banned and many of the new generation insecticides are harmless to humans - targeting enzyme pathways present only in the target insect species (a former classmate of mine did her PhD thesis on enzyme pathways uniquely found in the American cockroach)

Even now there are multiple examples of things (Chemicals, Medicines** etc. etc. ) that we previously thought to be safe are in fact not so.

**e.g. The old version of Zantac

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

it'll mean I can park Mickey a bit further away from those sh1ttin' winged tree rats 😡 …

Ah ‘Winged Tree Rats’…..down on the DEFRA  general licence as recognised vermin in the UK. 

Down in the Deep South of East Sussex we have a 12 gauge cure for those. All legal and everything. 

Did you know that there are at least 7 respiratory diseases that humans can pick from these little F ers. 

One sesson with Mr Semi Auto click click ….a brief moment of Pink Mist….and the problem of Winged Tree Rats ceases to be a problem. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

In Mrs iD’s absence I am currently hosting (and at the moment stroking) a lovely Romanian beauty. Before you lot jump to the wrong conclusion (which I am certain most of you have already done), let me hasten to add that her name is Frida and she’s the Romanian rescue dog belonging to a friend and one of the BDWBA posse (Bad Dogs With Bad Attitudes). So a pleasant day of dog-sitting awaits.

If today’s weather is anything like yesterday’s, this afternoon - after the lunchtime walk - we shall decamp to the garden to catch a few rays and (in my case) enjoy a “wee dram” (probably the Dalmore 12yo) and a good cigar.

42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Even now there are multiple examples of things (Chemicals, Medicines** etc. etc. ) that we previously thought to be safe are in fact not so.

If you’re so nervous about ingesting trace amounts of chemicals in your food, why are you happily stuffing yourself with UPF full of emulsifiers, anti-caking agents, anti-oxidisers and stabilisers?

We have come a long way from when Hobbes wrote “worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." Life is all about risk and managing it. Some risks are unavoidable (e.g. side effects with drugs), some are avoidable. I would take all newspaper and magazines articles about the safety (or not) of things like chemicals, processes and medication with a BIG pinch of salt* Peer reviewed professional journals are the only source you should rely on.

* how many times have newspapers published articles exclaiming “miracle cure for cancer” only to reveal that they are referring to only some encouraging findings in the first in-vivo studies with a new compound.

Edited by iL Dottore
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, DaveF said:

followed by another attempt at a crossword, why do some compilers set such odd clues?

and weird answers!

• Like 5
  • Agree 12

21 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hmm.  Don't do as I do?

A good quality cigar is not, unlike cigarettes, processed. A proper good quality cigar is just selected tobacco leaves rolled together and bound into a cylinder with a tobacco leaf wrapper. No chemical processing at all.

So no “do as I say, not do as I do” there.

Whether or not smoking cigars is good for you is a different matter (although some studies show that the risk of cancer associated with cigar smoking is just a little bit above the risk of the same cancers for non-smokers).

Nearly all food and drink is “processed”, but “processed” is very different from ultraprocessed. Milk is “processed” into cheese, milk is ULTRAprocessed into cheese-dip (or - in the US - cheez-whizz) and so on.

Conflating processed food with ultraprocessed food seems like something a food conglomerate would do to protect sales.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

17 hours ago, DaveF said:

... followed by another attempt at a crossword, why do some compilers set such odd clues?

50 minutes ago, southern42 said:

and weird answers!

Large flightless bird (3 letters) ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining here too, but it’s still very windy, so I’m not doing much in the garden today, but I’m not staying inside either. The plan for this morning is to get a few empty plant pots and seed trays together and clean them. The reason is to see if I have enough for t(e seeds I bought on Thursday, any shortfall will be rectified tomorrow by going out and buying what I need. Once fully equipped, I’m hoping to get a few seeds sown and start to fill the greenhouse and later the garden and with a bit of luck, I should be able to start picking my own lettuce leaves too!

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Large flightless bird (3 letters) ?

Electric Multiple Unit, oh no, that’s more than 3 letters!

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

2 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Electric Multiple Unit, oh no, that’s more than 3 letters!

That would be the cryptic clue...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Milk is “processed” into cheese,

It has already been ultra processed, from grass  and water by a cow…

• Like 9
  • Funny 4