RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I vaguely remember that. I don't think we watched it. For the most part, Dad decided what we would watch - meaning what he wanted to watch. There was a lot of World Series Cricket on our television in the late 1970s.

One of the multitude of cop shows that Crawford Productions churned out at the time. I think every channel had one and they were on different nights at 7:30, so you could watch "Homicide" on channel 7 on Monday, "Division 4" on channel 9 on Wednesday and "Matlock Police" on Thursday.

Often the same minor actors popped  up playing different roles across the 3 programmes so for instance a fresh-faced barmaid in an inner Melbourne pub who witnessed a crime on Monday night, might have become a drug-laced streetwalker who got murdered two days later across on the other channel, before finding redemption as a Sunday School teacher the following night.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think every channel had one and they were on different nights at 7:30, so you could watch "Homicide" on channel 7 on Monday, "Division 4" on channel 9 on Wednesday and "Matlock Police" on Thursday.

We didn't watch the cops-and-robbers crime procedurals. 

Never watched Bellbird * either.

* I remember Bellbird being mourned as the longest running drama on Australian television when it ended after ten years. Neighbours has been going for 39 years now.

If the cricket wasn't on we'd likely be watching Britcoms** on ABC - or the US line-ups like Charlie's Angels/Love Boat/Fantasy Island etc.

** That vintage was probably On the Buses / Dad's Army / The Good Life / Are You Being Served etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DaveF said:

I spent some time this evening looking at brochures for river cruises.  It was quite easy deciding where I would want to go and a selection of dates.  I had a long think about the prices but decided that if I really wanted to go I could even though it would be just me which makes it more expensive.

But... the more I looked at the details the more two things struck me.  I looked carefully at the places I would be visiting and realised that I have been to them all before in the days when I took the car to Europe for three or four weeks each summer.  Since they are historic places much of what I would see I have already  seen back in the days when I was a lot fitter and could walk much further in  day.

Then I looked at the actual schedules and found that in every case a surprising amount of travel on the boats would be at night to give more time for the town visits.  If I want to go along a river I want to see it all go by me, good and bad not just the carefully chosen highlights.  It is rather like being on a train, I am the one spending all the time looking out of the window at the world going by.

I think I have too many good memories of just driving around stopping whenever I felt like it for as long as I wanted and finding a hotel for the night when I felt I had done enough driving.  I have never been on any form of package holiday or cruise and the more I think about the less likely I am to do so, even if it means I just travel more locally now I am older.

David

I know that we took a day cruise from near Koblez up the Rhine and there seemed to be a lot of  such Rundfartenschiff _IIRC.  If they cover other areas it  might be possible to do and extended journey with stops in hotels along the way.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Counterfeit products …

And people smuggling.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente. Ears to be lowered later then shopping.   This afternoon some G work.

Here it is definitely getting warmer and spring has sprung.  The grass is growing very fast and we don't need the heating  much.   

One thing is that some red and black insects have come out of their hiding places.   At this time of the year they are often attached in pairs.   This they are known locally as Gendarmes.

P4053770.JPG.6f9ab17a8ffe886706f3f861fb6b156e.JPG

However I don't know how this collection would be categorised.

P4053769.JPG.d3fcf028e951cde69fa6bdc63aeaa442.JPG

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Busy day yesterday and the "business" will continue through the next few days.

Local cricket Leagues are already starting to delay the start of the season.. my first two (non League) games are likely not to happen.. Good..  its horrible umpiring on wet pitches.

@BoD I rambert the wheeled stands. At first it had a large Black and White TV on it. Then a colour set, then a VHS recorder was added.. happy days catching up with Pugh, pugh, barney magrew, cuthbert, dibble and......

visitorbis already en route. Need to get my skates on!

TTFN!

Baz

• Like 19

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from the Charente. Ears to be lowered later then shopping.   This afternoon some G work.

Here it is definitely getting warmer and spring has sprung.  The grass is growing very fast and we don't need the heating  much.   

One thing is that some red and black insects have come out of their hiding places.   At this time of the year they are often attached in pairs.   This they are known locally as Gendarmes.

P4053770.JPG.6f9ab17a8ffe886706f3f861fb6b156e.JPG

However I don't know how this collection would be categorised.

P4053769.JPG.d3fcf028e951cde69fa6bdc63aeaa442.JPG

Jamie

A squadron?

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I don't recall ever getting a printed hand out at any of the 5 schools I attended.

That was in the days when schools could afford class sets of textbooks. Handouts are a false economy - the economics of poverty, locked into spending more because one doesn't have the capital to afford that which would save money in the long run.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PupCam said:

Whoops, I nearly became a supporting statistic for that a few years ago.        My birthday treat turned out to be getting an electronic device implanted in a hurry.   Perhaps the most worthwhile present I've ever had, I must get the battery checked soon 🤔

I'll bring my AVO - how long can you hold your breath for??

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have never been on any form of package holiday or cruise and the more I think about the less likely I am to do so, even if it means I just travel more locally now I am older.

David

Nor has this Bear - I book "free cancellation" accommodation (usually an apartment) on Booking.com, then arrange the flights to suit.  Add a hire car (which I try to avoid now), a room at the Airport on the way out and airport parking.

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Counterfeit products …

Beware:

Looking for a fake Prada? An phony Gucci? An ersatz Louis Vuitton? A pirated copy of Mission Impossible or Microsoft Word? Street vendors in Italy (most of whom are from Senegal) will be happy to accommodate you, but watch out: A law makes buyers of counterfeit goods liable for fines of €3333 to €10000, and some tourists have already learned that Italian police can be a more expensive threat than purse-snatchers and pickpockets.

9 hours ago, skipepsi said:

You are a light weight Bear now...

At least that'll mean I make less of a hole in Puppers' @PupCam's block paving as I get splattered.....

You're not exactly sellin' the idea to me though, strangely....

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There are usually drug  sniffer dogs at the public entrances to concerts and music festivals. Strangely there are never any at the artists and VIP's entrances - that'd give the dogs a workout.

I guess the VIP's are users, whereas the Plod are looking for the dealers - who are far more likely to be mixed in with The Great Unwashed.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

**Beary Newsflash.....**

EDF have made "Some Exciting Changes" to Bear's Leccy/Gas Account.....

Wait for It......

Drum Roll.......

They've given Bear a new Account Number......

Huh?

Oh yes, and just to p1ss off those of a Puppers - like @PupCam outlook on life, you can no longer pay them by cheque any more; if you simply MUST insist on such archaic technology you have to pay the cheque in at your local Post Office.  If you still have one......

T0ssers.

I reckon that's a Rant.

I have thrown my supplier into a bit of a wobbly as it's algorithm is saying it's having problems taking my readings. That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact I've turned the gas off and I'm running on batteries would it now. And the reason for this. Well m' lord the sneaky so and so's wanted more mullar didn't they. So I thought two can play at that. Oh the thrill of being able to stick it to the greedy so and so's. Sorry went a bit light headed there.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, BoD said:

It is only ever ER’s where this happens.

Is our allocated share of server space full?   (of ******)?

Have the admins shifted us to 64Mb dial up to save the rest of RMweb?

Do the computer generated images offend the computer generated guardians of bandwidth usage?

Have we overstayed our welcome?

Or has the Awl detected too much forbidden  info and decided that Enough is Enough?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day here in the damp northwest corner of England. So, I’ll definitely NIT be doing any work outside today. So, with a bit of luck, it looks like I might get that 3 way point finished today! 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, bladder control woke me up just after five  but I soon went back to sleep afterwards. Not sure what to do today, it's a bit too windy for the G word so it looks as if I will have to make a start on the pile of washing up besides the kitchen sink.🥴

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

In those days we had textbooks.  Later when I was a head of department in another school I queried the text book buying system through the council where they added a 10% handling fee to the retail price.  As I was new I pretended I didn't know, did a deal with a publisher and got a 30% discount. I got told off but then everyone else did the same, after about a year the council scrapped their purchasing system.  It was exactly the same when buying paper.

A Cynical Bear might even think that someone on the Council was receiving plain brown envelopes.....

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5