Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Ended up as Bear scat.....

(after CC had finished educating her about something called "proper patient care" - with a big stick.... with a nail in the end of it....)

Ah….So she found out the hard way then….that it’s not just the woods that bears s£it in….it’s hospitals as well! 

Another successful candidate processed through the re-education program….I am sooooo proud to part of this service to humanity. 

Oooooo and please do pass on my thanks to CC for including me as part of this team…..must admit I’m rather enjoying it. Nothing really really like frightening people in positions of power. Even if that power is only in their own head. 

Right so who’s next? 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I presume you are talking about larger documents rather than a boarding pass and itinerary.

A paper boarding pass or ticket can be lost, but depending on what apps you are willing to load, can be much more convenient. I recently had electronic tickets to an indoor sporting event. Every time I needed to present my ticket (which was much more often than I supposed*) the telephone had turned off, disconnecting the internet connection required to access the tickets via a web portal. Plus the ticket scanner was very fussy reading an electronic image. A paper ticket would have been sooo much more convenient. 

* Perhaps four times to get to my seat.

Without my big monitor, I prefer to read documents on paper - though I would rarely need to do this enroute and never print long documents (of more than a few pages).

I still prefer to read printed books and travel with them. Undoubtedly some sort of tablet has many advantages compared with carrying around a doorstop book, but I'm no longer any sort of road warrior.

Likewise, I prefer paper, I printed a ferry ticket yesterday.   Last year on my Swiss trip, I had to use the electronic version of a Eurail pass.  When on WiFi it was brilliant but when the connection dropped out I was almost stuffed. I did manage to save the screen a few times which worked with the ticket Inspectors. 

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I hope Dave Hunt is feeling better!

Unfortunately there's a culture of 'it's free what are you complaining about' when it comes to the NHS. And because the NHS  is pretty much a form of religious faith rational discussion is difficult. Of course it isn't  free, free at point of delivery yes but it accounts for a significant part of payments levied by the government.

This is exactly why the NHS will never improve, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Of course more money will help, there’s no health system in the world that couldn’t do with more money, but the problems in the NHS go beyond mere financing. When you have a corporate culture that savagely persecutes whistle blowers, protects top management who preside over the most appalling healthcare scandals and who never apologise or admit to mistakes, then something is truly amiss.

It has been said that the NHS is the last of the 1948 nationalised dinosaurs, where Whitehall knows best, the service is run for the benefit of its management not the patients and you have to be jolly thankful for what crumbs they deign to condescend to give you. 

It’s the fifth largest state employer in the world (after the Indian MoD, the US DoD, the Chinese PLA and China National Petroleum). The NHS spend per person in 2021 was about £4,266, (the average Swiss health insurance premium for 2024 will be about SFr 4320/year [about £3770] - with better and faster access to care and better outcomes). 

Unfortunately, no-one in UK politics is willing to take off their rose tinted glasses and have a proper grown up conversation about the role, purpose, structure and future of the NHS - something that is long overdue.

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Some of the small supermarkets seem to have security in the evening. Though some of them don’t look very “secure”. There was one at the small Sainsbury once who clearly decided to tail me. It was so funny I went up and down the grocery aisle a few times while he attempted to be be stealthy. Do they get set exercises in following on security NVQ courses?

There’s one who hovers near the small wine section in our local Waitrose. He shuffles nearer if you pick up a bottle to read the back label.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

This is exactly why the NHS will never improve, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Of course more money will help, there’s no health system in the world that couldn’t do with more money, but the problems in the NHS go beyond mere financing. When you have a corporate culture that savagely persecutes whistle blowers, protects top management who preside over the most appalling healthcare scandals and who never apologise or admit to mistakes, then something is truly amiss.

It has been said that the NHS is the last of the 1948 nationalised dinosaurs, where Whitehall knows best, the service is run for the benefit of its management not the patients and you have to be jolly thankful for what crumbs they deign to condescend to give you. 

It’s the fifth largest state employer in the world (after the Indian MoD, the US DoD, the Chinese PLA and China National Petroleum). The NHS spend per person in 2021 was about £4,266, (the average Swiss health insurance premium for 2024 will be about SFr 4320/year [about £3770] - with better and faster access to care and better outcomes). 

Unfortunately, no-one in UK politics is willing to take off their rose tinted glasses and have a proper grown up conversation about the role, purpose, structure and future of the NHS - something that is long overdue.

I'm afraid that the NHS operates precisely like a 'closed shop' - fiercely protective of it's on, unwilling to make any serious changes and 'money hungry'. It has in some ways become very much like one of those large businesses that are too important and too powerful to be allowed to fail- hence the throw more money at it. Short of something truly calamitous happening- 3 rd world war anyone, it will continue to be treated as an indulgent child.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well, it’s not raining at the moment, but it looks like it could do so at any moment. If the rain holds off, I might try to straighten up one of the bird boxes I put up a couple of weeks ago. It’s currently leaning at a rather odd angle, probably due to all the strong gusts of wind we’ve had over the last few days. If it does rain, then I’ve a few items to unpack in the office and then I’ll head to the workshop, to hopefully finish off making that 3 way point. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Prime candidates for a meeting with Reggie the Rope.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68774242

If they don't get sentences of at least 10+ years then there really is no justice.  Personally I'd be saying that if they don't name names and refund oodles of cash then it's a whole-life, very hard labour visit - with no chance of parole, telly, visitors, pizza, curly fries, beans.....

And DEFINITELY no Cake......

I'm opposed to the death sentence, even for the most heinous crimes. A famous judge* once said it's better that ten guilty men go free than an innocent man be hung. My suggestion would be that in such cases as the above where the public purse has been robbed there will be punitive sentences, twenty years minimum and no parole until all the stolen money has been recovered. Also in such cases they should be billed for bed and board** while they are in jail, welcome to the Hotel Pentonville (other 'hotels' are available).

*I can't remember the name of the judge, perhaps an ER can tell me.

**The Home Office bills innocent victims of miscarriages of justice for bed and board while they were in jail. They are just as bad as the NHS if not worse when it comes to procrastination, think the Windrush scandal.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, only a couple of calls from bladder control. I didn't wake up until nearly eight o'clock, my internal body clock still hasn't gone forward yet.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Got through quicker today ... for some reason the system would not allow anty comment.  Closed and just to porove a point signed in again and ... it took me to the first 2009 page but sci then allow me to the end and hence this comment.

Odd bits remembered:

Much prefer paper; A! sems to be the in-thing that cannot distinguish between correct/incorrect; right/wrong; true/false; actual/made-up.

Conclusion - generally cannot be trusted but 'proper use' e.g histology departments - great.

• Like 16