The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good evening at SEERS, watching the model trains go by. Next meeting is the AGM and as I am a committee member I'm duty bound to attend. Too busy to watch much TV today so I'll catch up on I-player tomorrow.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Those who read TNM may have already seen this because I posted on the wrong topic. Nothing to do with parallel strips of metal, this is where I intended to post it. <sigh/>

When I was idly killing time looking at so-called news on my phone earlier this week I saw a lot of posts saying that iplayer apps were closing down, with a comment from the BBC that it was too expensive to continue. When I can be bothered, I've been using get_iplayer (on linux) to download things - quality often not brilliant, but good enough to watch on a computer monitor.

Having closed down all the other things I was doing, I thought I ought to stop installing the perl modules get_iplayer needs. But before that I gave it a try - working perfectly, including local news from Thursday evening.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't iplayer a key part of the BBC journey into the brave new world of on-demand viewing not long ago? I found it a pretty good platform but haven't used it for several years. We cannot access from here, it's easy enough to use a VPN but I can't be bothered as there is enough on other platforms. I like Korean TV, the content on Netflix and Disney here relies quote heavily on Korean content and I find the good stuff to be superb. Production values are extremely high and some of the stories are brilliant. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

NEVER  underestimate the power of a decent taunting.

b) never called my bluff by asking  me what a taunting actually involved..

Just threaten to have his figgins toasted.    (T. Pratchett,  Guards Guards)

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Which I choose to consider excessive in the extreme. 

It does help it to transit the pond intact.

At one point I had to dry out the contents of a set of red boxes from a larger manufacturer with which someone had played post office football. The ends were all wet and disintegrating.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

The Accurascale packaging is a bit much, though as Michael says it does provide robust protection for the contents. For me it's not an issue as I don't buy that much but I can see that for those who order lots of models it would quickly add up to a very bulky set of boxes. That said,,packaging for models has been growing, and it seems that model producers have followed Apple in seeing packaging as part of the experience. The Hornby 9F packaging was very bulky, and the Rivarossi Big Boy packaging really is over the top in my opinion. I must admit I do like a nice box, I know it's just a box and what matters is what is inside but I do find well done packaging adds some 'feel good' factor to things.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I'm just writing this down to get it out of my system

The problem is that software is inexpensive to write and incredibly expensive to maintain. Relevant share-ware that finds it's way into 'mission critical' applications inevitably comes under some sort of fee-based system to keep it functional, one way or another.

I certainly saw this with Red Hat and SuSE. "Enterprise" operators were happy to pay for support - since that meant accountability.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

I’m a real ER today.     It’s much too early …. 🤣

Back later,   TTFNQ

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is far too early, Puppers.

12c and breezy/windy once again, and damp but not currently raining.

It is OF's brunch day, so no doubt it will rain soon.  Not sure what else is on the cards, the decoderiser didn't arrive (although bills did - pah) so no progress on the forbidden things.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

...Who woke at 3-30am 😒 and never really got back to snoozybearland proper-like afterwards.  Poo.

I climbed the little wooden hill last night with the full intention of getting up at 04-30 for yet another early morning piddlin' in the pool silliness session; I decided that changing this to a G-Word Session (but not at 04-30....) at the front of Bear Towers (the first this year) would be (a) more productive, (b) needed doing, (c) meant Bear got a lay-in, and (d) much cheaper (no seven quid entry fee or motion lotion used).  Tick.

So that's today's this morning's plan sorted.

I also need to order a new "kicking around in" watch 😒 as my current one has died at long last😢 despite having a new battery.  Poo.  So that'll be a session searching The Big River - expanding strap, analogue, easy to read, date would be nice, cheap......oh yes, and hopefully a brand I've actually heard of.....

Previous searches have shown that the shopping list isn't all that easy to achieve after all - few have dates on; those that do are £ more - and particularly during Hospice Days (loading & unloading the vans + general 'umpin & dumpin') there's real scope for it getting knocked & scratched (and worse).

Right, time to get a wriggle on....

BG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A dry morning with a small patch of blue sky to the north.  Last night's forecast suggested rain later, this morning says a bit of drizzle then dry but cloudy and still mild.

I woke at 06.30 and decided to have 5 minutes more, the next thing I knew it was 08.15 so I quickly got moving and have just about caught up.

The next task is to look at the roadworks map to see which roads are open and do not have long delays before deciding what to do.

David 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Again not a bad night last night, only one callout from bladder control at what time I didn't note but six hours plus in the land of nod. @polybear If you're looking for a new watch I would recommend a Citizen. My watch is the second one of that make and it's now about five years old and the previous one lasted more than twenty-five years. What is more you never have to renew batteries as they are self charging via a photo-electric cell fitted in the face. On my previous one the only replacement needed was the leather strap. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Back again...

Only away 5 days, I'll leave catchup for when I've been out for bread, milk, etc!

Watches?  I'm currently using a Pulsar Kinetic, which works like an old fashioned autowinder but for a quartz movement and must be nearing its second decade at least.  Its had a couple of straps and I might get a new strap soon to keep in reserve.

For "formal" use I have an oblong Rotary with a Millenium hallmarked Sterling silver case.  The interior is nothing to write home about...

• Like 13

Another day of weather brilliance here, low twenties so it felt a little bit Autumny but there was not a cloud to be seen again. Apart from last Friday when I got 170mm dumped on me in 12 hours the weather has been lovely lately.

And brilliant weather is pretty much the forecast over the weekend, which is good because on Sunday I'm off to Beverly Hills! 

Which is in fact a suburb in Sydney which is playing host to the Holden Car Owners Club  car show. It does have palm trees so it looks  a bit like the LA version that stole its name, but there's fewer Kardashians.   The ute needs a run, its been sulking under its hailproof cover for the last 6 weeks or so.

Speaking of actors, I'm typing this from the first quarter break in the AFL Bombers V Bulldogs game, who are matching each other goal for goal at the moment. . An ad came on  during the break, it was  for our much-loved local telecommunications company and I thought - "jeez that bloke who's playing the old fella looks remarkably like the bloke who played PC Garfield in The Bill way back then".

So I invoked Google  and discovered that  Huw Higginson   had the wit to move here back in 2014 and now lives in trendy inner-Sydney Balmain, so it probably WAS him.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

Three hours in Bear's postage-stamp sized front garden (ok, so it's 2nd Class Large) has apparently equalled a 1/4 of a mile....I'd be less knackered if I'd gone piddlin'.....

It looks a lot neater less of a Tram-smash than it did; still the lawn to cut yet - but I'll do that tomorrow methinks.

Postie has just delivered a book from the bay that a neighbour wants - the listing says Vol. 1, the book says Vol. 2....tw@ts.

Right, Beary din dins time methinks.....

BG

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Half time at the footy, I'm bowing to the popular vote so  this is the last one, I'm naming it   "ER backlash".🙂

image.png.c6824a5852aecd1f5b93033ba31b552b.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Previous searches have shown that the shopping list isn't all that easy to achieve after all - few have dates on; those that do are £ more - and particularly during Hospice Days (loading & unloading the vans + general 'umpin & dumpin') there's real scope for it getting knocked & scratched (and worse).

If you are prepared to have a resin strap the cheap Casio (pictures on Argos website) are tough. They do slightly more expensive ones with expanding straps but I don’t like those (hairy wrists!). They keep time really well. When I broke the one I had used at work for years I did replace it with one of the Casio G shock which is solar powered and gets gps time signals. But the £9.99 one is fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1