Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

If people are enthusiasts of food made with the feminine touch might I suggest that classic Malay dish nasi kangkang? Splendid dish.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

And no one knows the Civil War with such expertise as that great historian, many say the Greatest historian of all time - Donald J Trump - this is a transcript of his rally on the weekend:  

The subject of at least one late-night host's blackboard lesson last night.

Even the normally enthusiastic backdrop crowd don't seem to know what to do with it. Presumably this shtick was because he was in Pennsylvania.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Nowadays old fashioned vegetarianism seems to be lumped together with eating meat in the pantheon of evilness and whereas at one time it seemed many vegetarians were vegetarian for religious or ethical reasons 

Religious and ethical reasons are indistinct from your "pantheon of evilness" reference.

Traditional religious vegetarianism is based on the notion that slaughtering animals to feed us is immoral. You make a distinction without a difference. While I still eat meat, I maintain that as we better understand mammal consciousness this belief will grow - outside its traditional locations.

We don't eat dogs. We do eat pigs. What in a pig's brain makes it somehow "less" than a dog's brain?

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

...now we are being told to be vegan to save the world from climate change.

You are conflating multiple things. There is a demonstrable anthropogenic climate change benefit to reducing the quantity of livestock emissions.

As I'm sure you know the global CO2-equivalent* GHG emissions from livestock (18%) is greater than all the transport sector (15%).

* Factoring the much greater impact of Methane than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

Reducing livestock (eating less meat) is not the same as being "vegan".  Why is reducing livestock emissions not as important as reducing transportation emissions, or concrete manufacturing?

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Turdycurses.....

However....and in a Bear's defence....

The traffic light score on this:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/quorn-mince-300g

- looks rather better than on this:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-beef-mince-20-fat-500g-7715235-p-44

...so can't you cut a Bear a little slack?  😢

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Reducing livestock (eating less meat) is not the same as being "vegan".  Why is reducing livestock emissions not as important as reducing transportation emissions, or concrete manufacturing?

I didn't say it isn't, I questioned whether alternatives are better for the environment. Climate change is only one environmental impact along with all the issues around biodiversity, water use etc associated with land use change for crop cultivation. As well as the GHG emissions being about much more than methane from cows etc.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

thought potatoes supplanted (no pun intended) the parsnip

Parsnips didn’t disappear  from the vegetable garden like the skirret did though. Potatoes are much easier to grow. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

In theory I accept that we should eat less meat, though there is an argument as to which livestock cause the most problems.   However for conservationists as a group to say we should eat less beef while also stating that in rewilded areas some forms of cattle are useful for maintaining a good diveristy of flora does strike me as odd.  I also wonder about the water usage, is the figure given including all the water the animals take in by virtue of their eating plants which have a high water content and the water they drink in some places from natural sources which would otherwise just end up in streams/ rivers.

It is rather like "clean water" - the is a huge problem caused by sewage in waterways and the sea from humans but we also have to remember that every living thing produces waste products so there is always a level of contamination, even if you remove anything caused by humans.  Even a lovely clear stream has things living in it producing wastes.

Sadly the media do not explain any of this so many people now think that if we get rid of farm waste and human waste from waterways the water will be perfectly clean.

As a biologist I do wish that things were more fully explained.

Yes it is a bit of a rant, there is an urgent need to change how we live but it needs explaining and "selling" much better to us all.

David

Edited by DaveF
To add an explanation.
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Now for a general post.

The day has been quiet, or perhaps boring.  I went to the garage and filled the car for the first time since early February, in that time I have done 246 miles.  Normally I would have done just over 1,000 miles in two months.  This time I was able to get at the garage as it was no longer on a single track set of roadworks.  However you leave the garage onto a side road which it is just possible to turn into as over half the road width is a big hole with a sort of barrier round it.

After that excitement I went to have a walk along the Links, the wind was bitterly cold, I should have worn a winter sweater and a jacket with a fleece zipped into it.  The council are working on refurbishing the wooden seating areas on the promenade.  When it was done getting on for 20 years ago the council engaged consultants to advise them.  The result is that the bonded gravel surface is coming off leaving very uneven bits and the wood has rotted.  One might wonder why no one thought that might happen.

Back home I spent quite a lot of time looking up information about photos on here and flickr to answer peoples' questions, by then it was time for a cuppa.

Later on as I mentioned I'll go to the church AGM.

David

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its not something that has ever crossed my mind, though YOU seem awfully familiar with the concept....  I'll just stick to restraining it, though if it seems to enjoy bondage, I'll have to think of something different!

It's alright you know your amongst friends you can reveal your inner most desires. Go on have a good thrash tonight we won't tell anybody.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, polybear said:

My favourite is his line about “Can we inject someone with Bleach to kill C-19” - or summat like that….

(Well I guess it would do the job - just so long as the person didn't mind dying as well; maybe that’s just being picky though)

Bit like the operation was a success but the patient died.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

We must be feeling better. We have been out for something other than medical visits today. We cut the grass. I did the very small front lawn and Aditi did the back lawn . The dandelions and daisies were quite pretty but I expect there will be daisies appearing tomorrow, they are quite persistent. There are enough dandelion flowers still for early insect nutrition. The dandelions on our front lawn are quite short and survive the mower blade.I read  somewhere that dandelions  are a good source of springtime food for bees and wasps. 
Anything with blossom was cleared yesterday by the gustier spells of wind. 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

We are so heartbroken at the terribly sad sight of this beautiful building being destroyed. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbc+news+denmark+fire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#

Wonder if it was the same bunch of contractors who managed the fire safety at Notre Dame? 

There was a programme on BBC2 yesterday evening about the reconstruction of Notre Dame, I do hope there is no connection!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The weather is creating chaos. Game today cancelled but games on Friday have been moved to Headingly.. ooh err! Pictures will be taken as momentoes..

In other news.. preparation for tomorrow's meeting has been completed.. May have to join via Teams due to uncertainty about train travel  pah!

Visited the MRS and checked out some Repairs/improvements we have done. Yippppppeeeeedddddoooo! It works.. but another problem has been identified. Pah!

Time for slow cooked beef and veg for tea.. lovely!

Baz

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There was a programme on BBC2 yesterday evening about the reconstruction of Notre Dame, I do hope there is no connection!

I remember watching Notre Dame happing live, with my eyes welling up. 

Same again today. It is such a beautiful building with such a history. 

Wouldn’t like to be the contractors discussing this with the DK government right now. Or their insurance company either. 😬

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Oi I was going to say that.

The orange one also said in 2019 of the American war of Independence 1775-1783

“Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory,” 

The 'rockets red glare' reference is from the US national anthem and refers to the attack on Fort McHenry during the war of independence when the British fired explosive rockets at the fort.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder if they had curly skirret fries. The skirret disappeared from culinary use rapidly after potatoes were introduced. 
Tony

Skirret is still grown and eaten and there are still recipes for them.

https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2016/01/skirret-pasties/

Some of the recipes look like curly fries.

https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2021/11/skirret-fritters/

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The 'rockets red glare' reference is from the US national anthem and refers to the attack on Fort McHenry during the war of independence when the British fired explosive rockets at the fort.

Colonel Congreve's 'secret' weapon. Both naval weapons (as here) and land-based, as per Battles of Leipzig and Waterloo. The main problem was one of accuracy. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The committee meeting I attended went on a bit longer than expected thats why I'm a bit late. I've been going through more than two pages of ER's and I see it mentioned that (another) duplicate page had occurred and shortly after that the site not available notice  appeared for a couple of minutes. I wonder if the two are connected?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Well I've finally booked a suitable-looking Bear Cave in Lisbon for later this year - and it has the option of free cancellation for a fair while yet, which is handy in case I find something better.  Flights (even on Trump Air) are looking to be more expensive than I'd expected - I could save a little bit (nottalot) by going on some Portuguese Cheapo Airline and flying from Luton, but I prefer LGW.  Options are still very much open......

ION....

At last - a bit of common sense:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68824493

Bear gone....

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I see it mentioned that (another) duplicate page had occurred and shortly after that the site not available notice  appeared for a couple of minutes.

Happens regularly to me.  Once had a page three times, but corrected after flipping to another thread and returning.  The looooong waits also are not just this thread.  getting tired of it now!

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Skirret is still grown and eaten and there are still recipes for them.

https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2016/01/skirret-pasties/

Some of the recipes look like curly fries.

https://backyardlarder.co.uk/2021/11/skirret-fritters/

I know, I saw them at a National Trust garden. They don’t actually look very attractive plants. Surprised anyone ever thought they could be tasty. Wikipedia suggests they were introduced into Europe by Romans trading with China. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3