The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Just been watching the program on the archaeological excavation of Pompeii. They are excavating a part of the city that has never been dug before. During the dig they came across a fresco showing a pizza, @polybear and @iL Dottore please note. What's more surprising the topping appears to be of fruit, lemon drizzle pizza anyone? 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Dr. SWMBO has been delivered safely to London once more c/o the Go When Ready Railway.  14 minutes late tonight meaning she is unable (by less than 60 seconds) to lodge a claim for Delay Repay but it sounds like an interesting ride was had by those aboard.  

One engine cut out at Truro causing 15 minutes delay.  It appears that the driver was able to re-start it as time was steadily regained only to be lost once more facing a red signal at Taunton.  That was due to a broken-down train at Bruton so hers was sent, after leaving the Somerset town 17 minutes late, via Bristol.  Not via Bath through - they sent her the very long way round via Badminton.  Which did have the positive aspect of allowing the train to swap to electric power at Bristol Parkway and cruise at 125mph without a single signal check all the way to Paddington  Home Signal.  Where it was, as tradition requires, held briefly to allow something suburban out first.  

But to actually regain three minutes on schedule  when sent a much longer way round was as heroic as modern-day railway operation gets.  She has been that way once or twice before with the delay blowing out to around 40 minutes.  I almost wish I had been aboard with the stopwatch.  But any enthusiasm I had for train-timing has long since vanished.  I last engaged in that pastime when the trains to and from Cornwall were hauled by large blue boxes and you opened the door by turning the handle and pulling it towards you before finding a nice comfortable seat.  Every train now has data recorders ("black boxes" or "cab spies") and over-speed protection so even touching 126mph on a 125mph train would have brought the brakes on.   Those who still record train times do so now by GPS which is another ball-game altogether and not what I would choose.  

In other news the book goes off to the printer tomorrow for their first draft.  Still on target for 1st June publication.  Book the Second will be commenced once this hits the streets.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Shopping has been shopped and the cupboards are now full, so full that they are positively groaning! As for the weather, well we’ve had a very mixed bag, rain, hail, strong winds and sunshine, sometimes 2 different at the same time. It’s currently blowing a bit at the moment, not quite a hoolie but it ain’t half making a racket and it’s raining too.

Thankfully my back is now feeling much better, the aches have gone, but to be on the safe side, I’m going to have another rest tomorrow.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

"Do you have any strong opinions or firmly held beliefs about former President Donald Trump, or the fact that he is a current candidate for president that would interfere with your ability to be a fair and impartial juror?"

The woman being asked, answered: "Yes".

Justice Merchan asks if either legal party objects to excusing the juror.

The prosecutors do not, but Trump's lawyer does.

But they didn't know what the opinion was , she could be a ' hate him so he's guilty ' type

or ' i love him and he could do no wrong ' type .

If the first then the prosecutors were right ,  if the second then the Trumps people were wrong .

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It was a good question though. Must have been thought up by some clever lawyers.

Theres a list of42  questions that all jurors are asked:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2024/04/15/trump-judge-submits-most-exhaustive-questionnaire-for-jurors-in-hush-money-case-here-are-all-42-questions/?sh=7e88e78c5a04

In addition all jurors are asked to raise anything that will prevent them from giving a fair decision, eg "I think  Trump is awesome" or "I hate Donald Trump due to January 6th" etc. Also both the defence and prosecution are allowed to select 10 jurors each to remove from the panel without having to give a reason, although it cant be based on race, religion or gender (ie the defence cant removed all the women etc).  That, along with many jurors hesitation to serve for fear of reprisals if their identity is revealed shows why jury selection will take all this week and into next week possibly, since they need 15 jurors plus around 6 backups in case of anyone dropping out.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

The Trump case will be a nightmare for jury selection and the judge will be walking on eggshells in terms of the potential for a mistral given his notoriety, the strong emotions he invokes and some of the media/commentariat stuff around it all. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

46 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The Trump case will be a nightmare for jury selection ...

Yes, it will.

46 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

... and the judge will be walking on eggshells

I doubt that - given how judges have managed all the other trials. More likely to be very impatient with any diversions by the defense or defendant, though they will no doubt be aware of the high-intensity media scrutiny of everything they say and do.

The appeals will happen regardless of judicial restraint or otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

54 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The Trump case will be a nightmare for jury selection and the judge will be walking on eggshells in terms of the potential for a mistral given his notoriety, the strong emotions he invokes and some of the media/commentariat stuff around it all. 

There have already been 3 civil and 1 criminal  trial  in New York involving Donald Trump, and  3  of them had juries - the two E. Jean Carroll cases and the Trump Organisation Tax fraud case of 2022.

All 4 trials resulted in Trump and or his corporation being found liable so juries can be found, and can produce  a verdict.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's a list of 42 questions that all jurors are asked:

The prosecution needs to make sure there are no grounds for a mistrial and the defense wants a favourable, or at the minimum an open-minded jury.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Woman's one word answer gets her excused from trial

We have our first juror curveball.

The question was:

"Do you have any strong opinions or firmly held beliefs about former President Donald Trump, or the fact that he is a current candidate for president that would interfere with your ability to be a fair and impartial juror?"

The woman being asked, answered: "Yes".

Well, it’s quicker than “You bet your sweet bippy I do!”

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

Do you think that turning up to the courthouse wearing a MAGA hat would be enough to be excused Jury duty?

Another idea occurs -  could Donald claim to empanel his own jury (selected on the basis that they are wearing MAGA hats), but of 20 members, say, and then declare that as his jury is bigger then he wins the court case? Should this be suggested to him?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Dayle is feeling a little sore in the side and is having trouble pulling the handle on our LaZboy sofa. So we went out this morning and bought 2 chairs with push button controls. Delivery was estimated next week, possibly this week, and clerk put a note on it. Phone call this afternoon --- between 9 and 10 tomorrow morning. And they will take away the old one.

As we left, I pulled out of the parking space and the car said "Shift into P". I did this a couple of times, then Dayle said "maybe there's a door open"  Mine was.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

5 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

This Summers plans to be at the NMRA convention in Long Beach was deterred by he special hotel rate of $210 per night plus taxes , breakfast etc

That doesn't sound "bad"*. Hospitality prices have gone up considerably post-pandemic / inflation, etc.

* though it's £169 at current exchange rates

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

We are considering being across the pond over Xmas but one thing putting us off is any potential issues after the election especially if the orange one loses again.

While he future is unknowable that feels a little over-cautious, though I can imagine wanting to avoid DC between mid-November and mid-January being sensible.

I will stipulate that along the lines of  the joke; "just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you", catastrophizing doesn't mean the worst won't happen. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

When the George Davis is Innocent crowd, from London, dug up the Headingley test wicket, they had to move the trial to Birkenhead to get an unbiased jury. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente, where the temperature dropped by ten degrees yesterday.  However the weed patches got mowed.  The French word for weeds is great,  mauvais herbe, literally bad grass.  Then in the evening we went to some friends for supper and ended up playing Uno Stacko, a cross between Uno and Jenga Great fun. 

Shopping this morning the after lunch I'm off for aafternoon/evening,trainspotting with Andy.  A good day in prospect.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Yesterday was weird weather day.. but I now have a no cricket umpiring day today. Problem is.. I have a cricket meeting at Lords tomorrow.. so its preparation day.

Train tomorrow is a concrete seated Azuma badly organised by the Late and Never Early Railway.. aka the Civil Service.

@polybear we either travel from Leeds Bradford (10 minutes by taxi) Manchester (1.5 hours by bus/train)  but I only used to park at LBA for day trips to London.. not cheap but never had a problem..perhaps you need to move?

Her indoors hosted a recorder group meeting last night so.. no TV sound to be used... not a problem.. I did my prep for Saturday's  meeting.

Time to get on with breakfast. Have as good a day as you can!

Anyone heard from @Ian Abel recently?

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It was a good question though. Must have been thought up by some clever lawyers.

All the defence lawyers need to do is keep objecting to every Juror and presumably it'll go on forever - or is there a clause where it then becomes a multi-judge trial with no jurors?

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Just been watching the program on the archaeological excavation of Pompeii. They are excavating a part of the city that has never been dug before. During the dig they came across a fresco showing a pizza, @polybear and @iL Dottore please note. What's more surprising the topping appears to be of fruit, lemon drizzle pizza anyone? 

But was there Curly Fries?  We need to know.....

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Theres a list of42  questions that all jurors are asked:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2024/04/15/trump-judge-submits-most-exhaustive-questionnaire-for-jurors-in-hush-money-case-here-are-all-42-questions/?sh=7e88e78c5a04

In addition all jurors are asked to raise anything that will prevent them from giving a fair decision, eg "I think  Trump is awesome" or "I hate Donald Trump due to January 6th" etc. Also both the defence and prosecution are allowed to select 10 jurors each to remove from the panel without having to give a reason, although it cant be based on race, religion or gender (ie the defence cant removed all the women etc).  That, along with many jurors hesitation to serve for fear of reprisals if their identity is revealed shows why jury selection will take all this week and into next week possibly, since they need 15 jurors plus around 6 backups in case of anyone dropping out.

I guess all the potential Jurors have to do is say how lovely/whatatwat the Orange one is and they'll dodge the Draft - and lots of weeks stuck in a court house.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here....

Driving the Washing Machine day.....Poo.

I also need to start ordering bits for getting Harry the Honda running again - Exhaust Clamps n' gaskets, Battery and Engine Oil to start with; hopefully that'll be the lot.

Then all the fun of more searching on Booking.com for Bear-friendly accommodation in Lisbon - which must also tie in with availability on Trump Airways (that'll be The Orange One) - good 'ol BA fly to Lisbon from LHR, not LGW.  No thanks....

ION......

Liz Truss has endorsed Donald Trump to win this year's US presidential election, saying the "world was safer" when he was in the White House.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68821646

FFS.

Meanwhile.....

On the BBC Radio News last night they were interviewing various members of public (for & against the Orange One) outside a certain Court House.

One (pro Trumpie) said:

"If D.T. goes to Prison then there's millions of people all over the country that'll go home and get their Guns and there'll be a Civil War!!"

No worries there, then.......

Right, time to wriggle....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 12