The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes......

The ink cartridge supplier (with a bit of prodding and a scary growl) has decided to do the honourable thing and send Bear a replacement cartridge. 😃  Polite snottograms do work sometimes....

Bear's review never appeared on their website though - s'funny that.....

BG

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

iD @iL Dottore - is this what you mean by a UPF?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51n0p14y1lo

Not quite, although the rat must have felt pretty ultra processed when it ended up in the mixing vat.

What I didn't see in the story (apart from a reference to Japan's usually extremely high hygiene standards) is that a certain amount of insect parts, rat droppings and other detritus IS legally permitted in processed foodstuffs in many countries.

OK the amount permitted IS minuscule and may reflect the difficulty in achieving a 100% rodent, insect and vermin free environment (though the high tech industry manages OK with their "clean room" production facilities). But even so... Not something you'd find in homemade cake (all the cakes produced at Schloss iD are guaranteed to be 100% rodent and insect free)

Still, added insect and rodent (ahem) flavour (not to mention all those yummy additives) may explain why PB is so hooked on cheap UPF LDC.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Thought for the Day......

WHY???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68977469

There's some very, very weird people in this World.

... which is one reason I am 'rather careful' using the Internet and do try to think about search words/terms - it's all too easy getting more educated than you might wish ... 

I recall when studying for my law degree some cases not dissimilar to that, with what I would regard as ultra BDSM activities. They were the subject of a couple of seminars on issues of consent and capacity - I won't go into details but let's just say I felt utterly bemused and some students were clearly horrified and uncomfortable. 

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

If you look at most old roads in the UK they are fairly obvious names. It's only in comparatively recent times people started " naming roads " and places with unrelated monikers. ....

One location I'm familiar with has a 'Harepath Road' - nothing to do with lagomorphs, it's based on the old Anglo-Saxon name for a warrior. 

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Perhaps it's time for a resurrection - there are certain members of society that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce at all.

I can't disagree with that - but there's a problem in deciding who gets to make that call as to who shouldn't. Quite a few individuals who I'd class as natural members of that group would put me in that group. Who decides...? 

6 hours ago, polybear said:

... I don't hold out much hope though, nor do I expect the review will appear on their website.  We'll see. ...

Standard procedure - all reviews are 'moderated to ensure adherence to review rules'. Tesco had no problem in publishing a favourable report on a couple of items - but surprise, surprise, 'lost' the one which panned them for a breach of trades description - a supposedly boneless tinned fish product which actually had a couple of dozen bones in, including the piscean spine.  

1 hour ago, polybear said:

iD @iL Dottore - is this what you mean by a UPF?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51n0p14y1lo

Another case discussed during legal studies was one where someone had purchased a frozen pizza from a certain supermarket (breath easily Bear, twasn't the Co-Op) and cooked it, only to find an unadvertised and thoroughly unwanted extra 'topping' - two sparrows. The poor things had got in the food processing plant and been clobbered by the ventilation fans, the parts dropping onto the food production line and had been included in a few pizzas. This was discovered on the dinner table/plate after being cooked. Yuk... That cost the company quite a lot of money. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I can't disagree with that - but there's a problem in deciding who gets to make that call as to who shouldn't. Quite a few individuals who I'd class as natural members of that group would put me in that group. Who decides...? 

Bear just happens to have an opening in his busy schedule.......

55 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Standard procedure - all reviews are 'moderated to ensure adherence to review rules'. 

The unwritten rule being that it must be a nice review of course......

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I thought  some of you might find this old car of interest.  It shows my grandmother in either her car or a very early car of my grandfather's in the early 1920s.  It does also appear in the old cars thread but I know not everyone looks at that.  Someone has attempted to hand tint it.

simg588KathinHaroldscarearly1920s.jpg.87665bfef06457b4e033fd08f898665e.jpg

David

C. 1923 Morgan. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The washing has just finished but I leave it in the machine for a couple of hours as the spin cycle compresses the washing into a solid mass around the drum and requires to stand before it can be removed. I was going to Tess Coes this afternoon but I've still got plenty of food so I'll leave it until tomorrow.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

... which is one reason I am 'rather careful' using the Internet and do try to think about search words/terms - it's all too easy getting more educated than you might wish ... 

This sort of thing would appear much faster in the early days before search was monetized and internet trawling was also accomplished by daisy-chained links to who knows where. Now search results are much more likely to show you something to purchase - even if not very related to your search.

I once saw a reference to that sort of thing - unintentionally (I hasten to say). It was a bit eye-opening about the lengths people will go to. According to a separate news article I read, this sort of thing is a problem that big city hospital emergency rooms / casualty see. Perhaps not on a regular basis but not unheard of either. If I recall correctly the article quoted a hospital in San Francisco. If not done well the subject can bleed out. It is a very dangerous procedure - despite claims that such things are regularly done to livestock.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I once saw a reference to that sort of thing - unintentionally (I hasten to say). It was a bit eye-opening about the lengths people will go to. According to a separate news article I read, this sort of thing is a problem that big city hospital emergency rooms / casualty see. Perhaps not on a regular basis but not unheard of either. If I recall correctly the article quoted a hospital in San Francisco. If not done well the subject can bleed out. It is a very dangerous procedure - despite claims that such things are regularly done to livestock.

There were two or three that worked at The Great Empire in the 90's (I think) that were into, er, "unusual practices" involving a hammer, a nail, and a certain part of the male anatomy.  Once the story broke the Nationals had a field day "Rocket Scientists etc. etc....." and they were shown the door PDQ.  At least one served time because (IIRC) one of the group was under 21(?) which made it some crime or other.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

Posted (edited)

... Today has be checking entries from a database and providing correction. It’s long, detailed and loads wrong. I haven’t finished yet. 49 working days, 82 actual days, just under 12 weeks to go.

The inclusion of the above figure will tell you how thrilled I am to have to do this checking with so many errors ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/05/10/covid-incidence-and-deprivation-still-admin-and-marking/

Edited by Coombe Barton
Can't count
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

The OF's ride out went to 'Land's End', aka The Sound, where the breakfast was OK but a little pricey.  We hit two closed roads due to the rally, so had to make some 'interesting' detours, on very bumpy back roads.

I've only seen two snakes in the UK, once saw an adder in Ingram Valley, when I was a teenager - not too far from Dave F's perambulations, and a slow worm (OK not really a snake), on the far platform at Haverthwaite on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway.  Saw loads of yellow sea snakes in the far east when at sea, horrible things.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up from a sun doused Coniston.baz is a strange pinkish colour.. much better than rain induced rust!

We had a little walk in the Essex uplands. 
We think it is probably too warm and dry for some of the plant life.

image.jpeg.578a8ed629958cee27b92c7326687f35.jpeg

We did find a more cool and damp area though.

image.jpeg.a7da56ca3b8c2bb5ac1ea5d1916da7d8.jpeg

Then after a walk among the rhododendrons we retired to the caff for tea and scones. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been pretty much free today of the arthritis but its jumped back in again this evening, probably due to the high humidity. At the moment there is a pesky fly buzzing around so its time to get the spray out.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

10 hours ago, polybear said:

A friend had a C-19 Jab (Modena) yesterday afternoon - and was rather ill indeed last night, which is highly unusual.  Seems some don't respond too well after having it.

Didn't go easily for me or mother and after that we've both had a very similar coldy/fluy/spaced out weirdness symptoms.    Unless you can catch such viruses via a Faceache Portal one did not infect the other!

We seem to be heading back to normality now I'm pleased to say, it was not good!

8 hours ago, DaveF said:

I thought  some of you might find this old car of interest.  It shows my grandmother in either her car or a very early car of my grandfather's in the early 1920s.  It does also appear in the old cars thread but I know not everyone looks at that.  Someone has attempted to hand tint it.

simg588KathinHaroldscarearly1920s.jpg.87665bfef06457b4e033fd08f898665e.jpg

David

Now I think that is an absolutely fabulous image @DavidF !

ION

Notalot due to apathy induced by the lurgy.

Night All

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Does the North Inn in Pendeen still do curry nights, do you know?

Yes they do. To very mixed reviews it must be said. 

We went last year. Never again. Neither of us enjoyed the meals. Some others rate them highly, some go elsewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Usually less than 0.01% of participants get it right first time. Today I got three consecutive letters correct first time and it was easy to work out the correct word.

I  quite regularly end up with this kind of thing after the second guess:

S H A

But then it becomes a case of whether I happen to luckily guess the right one out of SHARE, SHAME, SHAPE, SHAKE, SHADE, SHALE, SHAVE etc before my remaining goes runs out.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

from https://meteologix.com/uk/aurora for today

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 21.14.25.png

Don’t think I’ll bother on a 20% chance. The nearest light-free location with a clear view north is only a couple of miles away at Botallack. The aurora was photographed there earlier this year. It’s been a long day and the car is tucked away in a tight spot. If I got it out I wouldn’t try getting back in after dark so it would have to go in the car park. Not that it’s far to walk but hey. 

I’ll have another muggercoffy and hit the hay. Tomorrow is also going to be a busy one. 

• Like 14