RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Sorry to hear of your loss, iD. Tough losing a friend.

Today is the traditional day for all the dad's in the village to get together and build our bonfire. Been doing it for 10 years now since moving to here.

Rain never stops play! Hopefully no-one will drive the hail bailer into the side of the dep. headmistresses Disco this year and peel the roof off!

Been away for a few days at Eurodisney so have missed out on whether Ashers is now a grandma.... Is Pete back online?

Had the chance to call in and see the French version of my family yesterday en route home. The vibrant people who helped bring me up in the 70s are now elderly with one in a wheelchair having had a stroke. Now in their late 80s they just got two puppies and are wondering which car to buy next year. I'm sure there's a lesson in there for all of us.

Anyway, be back on later to catch up - got to go and "raise a bonfire" - as they sort of say in "Witness".

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Raining heavily here, very blustery too. It appears that this is a good day for going to John Lewis in Stratford to order some curtains (after I been for a walk with Robbie).

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - been up for a while but the boss demanded two cups of tea in bed this morning.

Hopefully today's start will be better than yesterday:- I got up at 05:00 and left the house at 05:30, travelling to Dullingham station to photograph a diverted Freightliner, not many opportunities as it passes at 06:40-06:50 and there's not much light around and it's only running that way for a few weeks, waiting patiently at the station, the bobby closed the gates, the signal on the end of the platform stayed at red, which is good as it's single line and the signal was for the opposite direction, I could hear a unit approaching, again, that's ok, there's an ECS off Cambridge and they cross at Dullingham, the unit got louder and I was trying to hear the 'liner over it's noise, suddenly the unit appeared, at speed, but on the "wrong" line, and went haring through. I learnt two things, the liner wasn't going to turn up anytime soon (single track and about 10 minutes to the double section, so 20 minutes in total) and Dullingham has bi-directional loops ! (I subsequently discovered the 'liner was caped). Headed over to Manea and spent a pleasant day at the lineside, for a lot of it I had a kestrel (I think) hunting next to me, he didn't seem to have any success, plenty of other birds around and some pheasant shooters appeared for a while and went about their "sport". As I was leaving Manea I once again had a barn owl flying alongside me, a nice end to the photographic day.

Back to today - raining here in Norfolk at the moment, off to upload the photos and videos I took yesterday.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all - absolutely horrendous here weather wise. I suppose it depends on your point of view, if you have to go out horrible, if you can stay in, stuff your face, watch sport on the telly, drink beer etc. it's just plain cosy! Guess which one I'm planning to do.......

Sorry to hear about Jordi, after I lost my gorgeous golden retriever Cassie, the love of my life, I decided I wouldn't get another pet as I couldn't go through that again - worse than a divorce!

Yesterday was a good day on the MHR, gorgeous autumnal weather, cracking tool to play with in the Black 5, loads of people about and then, as it was being used on one of the evening trains hand it over to fresh crew at the end of the day without having to put it to bed.

The new iPad is going well, starting to understand it's capabilities. It is expensive but already IMO I can see that I'm getting what I paid for, it's a really nice bit of kit.

Anyway, have a good one.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

wet underfoot but patches of blue sky and evidence of a sun being up there

somewhere .

A trip to the shop for a few essentials is in the offing before an early-ish lunch then

a crash in front of the TV for the F1 .

It seems hedgehogs are not just a British species , I did'nt know that untill a few

years ago , and although I have not seen one here is the Cyprus variant .

post-6765-0-31859400-1352024921.jpg

Have a good day all .

• Like 4

Morning all,

Been away for a few days at Eurodisney so have missed out on whether Ashers is now a grandma.....

Yes, Alice Marie weighed in at 8lbs 8oz on Wednesday, 31st October. Mum and baby doing well despite Alice being rather nocturnal! Thanks for asking. Photo on "Things that make you smile".

Edited by Ashcombe

So I get the necessary gear on, wellies, coat and so on.

Then the dogs get interested.

Then I open the back door, and the heavens open.

Then I look for the dogs.

They're looking at me as if to say "If you think we're going out in that lot you've got another think coming, mate!"

Then they went back to bed.

It'll ease off later.

• Like 5

Guest Max Stafford

Abi being elegant. She can be very ladylike when she wants to!

It's a nice bright morning here. Just been looking at a lovely French layout that Baby Deltic posted up. Ian will back me up on this. Worth a look but I've not figured out how to copy links using an iPhone or I'd have done it myself. Now, should I get my spring bulbs in whilst the opportunity is there?

Dave.

post-6676-0-65349900-1352028943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at a lovely French layout that Baby Deltic posted up. Ian will back me up on this. Worth a look but I've not figured out how to copy links using an iPhone or I'd have done it myself.

I concur that BD's links are worth a view. It is a layout I had already seen in the French press, and is extensive. If it has a fault it is that it is what the US modellers tend to call a "spaghetti bowl" with an awful lot of trackage in - in this case - quite a large area. I sense that some of the most admired UK layouts these days, be they large or small, strike a better balance between railway and landscape. Nevertheless, it runs well, with working signals etc always a plus-point, and the on-train camera is still a novelty to most of us.

Some French modelling is world-class, with beautiful depictions of old French towns in the most delicious detail, and of course the same level of detailing and weathering of trains that one sees right here on RMweb. Modelling is less of a force and a market than in the UK - but the best talent is every mm the equal of that on your side of the Channel.

• RMweb Gold

I shall look forward to seeing your pics, Beast. The Kings Head at Dullingham was my chosen local for an evening meal or Sunday lunch with the kids, but I suspect it has changed a lot since we were there...

Here's the cabin and crossing at 06:30 yesterday morning.

post-6662-0-15480600-1352034552.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon, All

I'm a wee bit late, today and sorry, I'll have to catch up on your postings later.

Not been up to much but here it is.

First, there were train tickets to book for a model railway exhibition.

For once, it has worked out cheaper (with the help of my Senior Railcard despite losing out on an even cheaper ticket by the time I got to the 'submit' payment button - 'try again'. Doh.) than going by car even after you've allowed for the car parking fee.

I don't think we've done an exhibition by train since we went to the London Boat Show about a decade ago.

Next, I had to sort out a family birthday present from an online Wishlist and finish off with emails to the kids.

And that's it. The morning gone! :scratchhead:

And not even time for ERs

Back later - after a cuppa (or 'panad' as we say in this part of the world) and lunch and ....?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Logged on about 20 minutes ago, and it's taken that long to get to the end of the posts - and what a varied lot of posts they are too - good news, not so good news, and rotten news - in fact just like normal daily ERs.

Still no news on 30747's tests, as all they said was that the x-rays needed to be examined and analysed, then she'd get an appointment from the referring consultant.

iD - so sorry to learn your news - we dog lovers seem to have to share this sort of thing often - I know on the spaniel forum that I susbscribe to, that we get such posts all the time. It is so true that we don't own animals, we just look after them for the time that they have with us, which inevitably is less than the time that we have ourselves, and when they are suffering, there is a choice available to us, and though it is extremely difficult for us, it is an act of love and means that we can help to put suffering to an end. After a while, the hurt passes, and we are left with all the happy memories and we can laugh again at the antics - there is a special space in our hearts where our former animals all live on - and Jordi is already there for you if you look.

Weather today is bright crisp and cold, but yesterday, we decided on a trip to Penrith, and went off in heavy driving rain, and as we progressed up the A6 (I don't use motorways unless I have to) the rain turned to hail, then sleet, and finally to snow - so with discretion being the better part of s*d this for a game of soldiers, did a 3 point turn before crossing Shap, and went to Windermere instead.

I'd have been online much sooner, but when we saw the white stuff, we decided that it was probably better to make sure that we have started our winter preparations like making sure that we have a supply of grit and salt, that the fences are as secure as possible, and that the porch is tidied up and cleared to hold an increased supply of dry and ready to use logs, kindling, and coal - all done now.

30747's mithering now that she wants me to logoff so that we can have dinner, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've just called by again to prevent myself repeatedly banging my head against the nearest hard vertical surface.

We decided to call off today's planned workfest outside, regardless of the fact that the weather isbeing kind to us at the moment.

Nyda was doing some Girlguiding uk stuff and I sloped off to the Wolverhampton Railway Exhibition.

The first person I bumped into, before I'd even got through the doors was 'Dukedog' and that was closely followed by some fellow members of TRMG (They in the best Shropshire tradition were drinking tea and filliing their faces!)

However seeing a book on Layout design with an article on Pwllheli, got me thinking. With a bit of tweaking it could be just what I need for my 152/3/58 fleet.

Fortunately, the signalling of such a track plan was covered by 'RE6/6', 'The Stationmaster' and others, in another thread on RM Web.

But as usual, I'm now running off at full pelt, with a head full of new ideas on the newest, bestest layout in all of eternity, which are conflicting with what I thought were concrete plans.

Heeeelp!

Regards

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

But as usual, I'm now running off at full pelt, with a head full of new ideas on the newest, bestest layout in all of eternity, which are conflicting with what I thought were concrete plans.

I think many modellers would regard that as "situation normal"!
  • Like 6

ID, my sympathies over Jordi. He looked like a wonderful friend.

Quiet day here in the boring borough. It wasn't supposed to rain today. It did. All my garden plans were deep sixed. I've spent the afternoon making up the inter-module connector cables for the layout. Its been 25 years since I spent that long working with an RJ45 crimp tool. My hand is aching. Chased a big ugly pigeon out of the bird feeder. Not 1 minute later a happy little robin dropped in for a meal. First time we'd seen any other birds feeding since we put the thing up 3 months ago.

Have a good evening all. Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After having given your predicament some careful thought, my considered opinion is that you should choose a name with fewer L's in it.

That's a brilliant idea.

I nearly had a disaster with the letter D in the wrong place.

I ended up writing about a small Welsh town called LLandildo

Whoops!

Regards

Richard

Edited for spellllin'

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

After having given your predicament some careful thought, my considered opinion is that you should choose a name with fewer L's in it.

Naval ratings undergoing training there during WWII came up with a far simpler alternative - they called the place 'Push Nelly' (I first heard that when I was a child and was far too young to even think about asking my uncle if he had).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, after frantic Dad taxi work during which I found Olivia's Trains near Snakes N Adder's (sorry Gordon) shopping began. The last thing was a haircut now I will sit and watch F1 this might be more interesting now Vettel has to start from the pit lane. Sorry to hear your news ID, if you feel it could have been done better it must be very frustrating as well as sad.

• Like 1

I ended up writing about a small Welsh town called LLandildo

:mosking: Good job you`re not modelling Penisarwaen in Gwynedd!

That`s pronounced "Pen ees ar wine"......and has been the butt of many a tittering-teen`s humour. :laugh:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Naval ratings undergoing training there during WWII came up with a far simpler alternative - they called the place 'Push Nelly' (I first heard that when I was a child and was far too young to even think about asking my uncle if he had).

We've had similar with some friends from the USA who struggled with Betws Y Coed

First it was Betsy Co-Ed (The all American cheerleader no doubt!)

But now it has morphed into Betsy's Cowshed. There is a rumour going around that the NW Area group of the 16mm Assn now refer to it as such!

As for Penisarwein...................................Well I'll just stick with Three Cocks Junction!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1